User infractions - yes or no?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Jan 22, 2007.

?

What should be done about the current User Infraction system?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2007.
  1. Retain it in its current form.

17.6%
  2. Retain it, but with possible changes (details in the thread).

23.5%
  3. Abolish it and return to moderators deciding bans alone.

44.1%
  4. No opinion/abstain from voting.

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hello all,

We have recently been trialling a system whereby any user can give Infraction points to other users who behave inappropriately on sciforums, in terms of breaching mutually-agreed standards of conduct.

Currently, certain numbers of points are allocated for certain "offences", including insulting other members, posting advertising spam, using language considered "inappropriate" and so on. Infraction points expire after 10 days. If anybody gets 20 points within a 10 day period, they are automatically suspended from posting for a period of 3 days.

This system has come in for some criticism, both from moderators and other users. We quickly found that moderators had to "reverse" a number of infractions handed out unfairly by other members. The moderators are now keeping an eye on infractions, and action can be taken against members who abuse their power to hand out infractions.

Now that users are reasonably familiar with the system, we would like to put it to a general vote.

If members choose to abolish the infraction system, we will return to the previous system of bans being decided and handed out solely by moderators and admininstrators, with users having no direct input or control.

The poll will remain open for 7 days, and we will abide by the majority vote.

At this stage, we are merely voting on whether to abolish the infraction system completely, or to retain it. If you wish to retain the system but suggest possible changes, please do so. We do not guarantee that any suggested changes will be implemented, however. That will require further discussion if users vote to retain the infraction system.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

the mods just reverse the infractions....whenever they please...so its all useless.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I voted to abstain so my biased opinion doesn't affect the numbers.

I would rather only moderators and above have the option.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You are due a vote just like any other forum member. Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you give up your user rights.

As for me.
    I vote no.
    I have a million and one arguments for voting no and to persuade others to vote no as well, but I doubt that many will vote any other way.
    Perhaps I'll come back with an empassioned plea should circumstances require it.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well I do think I have the right to vote "no," however this forum isn't as busy as I would like for me to cast my vote. We'll probably get 20 votes or so within these 7 days that the poll is up.. so one vote could mean a lot.

It's just my choice and I am fine with it. I stated that I would like to keep the infraction system and only allow moderators to use it, but I think it's up to the regular members decide our direction.

9. Sauna Banned Banned

Retain, but only if users are not allowed to deem that ordinary users infract, only with regard to the moderators, and without the reversals.

As with ordinary democracy, effect the right to vote out of office.

Respect for authority would then have to earned by best example.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What the hell did you say?

Oh.
    I get it.
    You're saying that infractions are only to be given to the moderators...
    That's an incredibly stupid idea.
    No surprise it comes from the King of Spite.

Sauna.
    We all know you have this huge chip on your shoulder.
    But voting mods out of office is another matter altogether.

If you have any specific complaints about moderation why don't you start a thread? Rather than vague and meaningless innuendos?

In that thread, perhaps you could define what you think is the horizon of 'authority'.
    I suspect that you feel as Tor does that any time a moderator speaks he is exhibiting authority.

Anyway. That's off-topic for this thread.
    Perhaps you care to begin another?

11. Sauna Banned Banned

I voted to retain, with possible changes, (details in thread) exactly as the Poll invited.

Authority is of course the power to determine, adjudicate, or otherwise settle issues or disputes, the right to control, command, or determine, a power or right delegated or given:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Authority

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    Quite right on that.
    I belatedly realized what your first sentence meant.
    So. I do apologize on that.
    I edited that part into my post. But didn't delete the rest.

I still maintain that the idea is stupid. But that's another matter altogether.

As to 'authority'.
    No.
    That's another topic and I won't get into it in here.

13. draqon Banned Banned

its not like I want the infraction to go away...but its just the mods keep on reversing infractions I do...which are justified...so its all useless

14. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Abolish it and return to moderators deciding bans alone.

The Infraction system is redundant.

There is already a report button by which to bring to the attention of the "authorities" anything which is deemed improper by the membership.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Trouble is that there are no positive sanctions in this system.

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the only reason we really need it is to stop spammers, anything else can be reported to the mods and dealt with.

actually, i want to change my vote now.

17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Keep it but modify the nanny option - "Inappropriate Language"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- so that we can penalise posts that are "Boring, Too Long or Overly Convoluted".

Nah, only kidding. Bin it, it's rubbish.
    Apart from that bit. Can we just keep that bit?

18. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I believe moderators ought to be victim of user infractions at a lower-level of severity. Otherwise, I am fine with the continuation of user infractions.

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Retain it, but change the God-awful icon.

20. Bells Staff Member

I voted to abolish.

Reason being that each time I see someone with an infraction and it did not really seem fair, I then have to investigate why it was given. To do that, I have to PM the infraction giver and attempt to get a reason as to why the infraction was given. I feel as though I am the parent questioning the child in some instances and I really don't like having to grill fellow forum members about why they felt an infraction was needed and given.

This is especially the case where infractions are given reasons of personal dislike or due to bias against a certain member.

If someone feels something is wrong with a post, click on the report button or PM a moderator with their complaint. If the member feels that a moderator is the problem in the forum that person happens to moderate, then either start up a thread in site feedback or PM another moderator with your concerns or a member of the admin staff. If it is a moderator posting in another forum (aside from the one they are moderating) and they do something wrong, then report them as you would with anyone else. This should occur now anyway, even with the infraction system in place, but some do take advantage of it and go on what appear to be infraction giving sprees and that is not what the system was designed for.

That is my personal opinion on this matter. I am sure there will be many voices in dissent to what I have said, and so be it. But that is how I feel about it.

21. Sauna Banned Banned

Why not then insist that reasons be written already with infractions declared? With no valid reason annul, end of story, a mere technical triviality..

If not fit to powder the bottoms of babies alive before you were born, quit, because patronisation is in essence what it is. There is no getting way from that, nor be surprised if some wander off, reluctant to stoop so far as to let their bottoms be powdered by some so immature.

Nor the hope to escape from that.

Let he or she blessed with absolute equanimity cast the first stone, and then may we kneel to pray to their glory.

And when a moderator who presumes to lecture us on etiquette fails to respond with as much as a polite PM in return, what then?

That at least is to be said for the empowerment: It amends deliberate ignorance.

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

^

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think it should be kept - I have found that mods, for whatever reason, do not respond to reports .... thus I have experience of it tightening up the looseness of threads - for instance if someone has a chip on their shoulder tends not to go out for an all out mud slinging match after receiving one or two infractions (and even then, they only score maybe 2-7 infraction points, so its not like they actually get banned) - the result is that they actually work more in line with the format of debate or they just don't bother with the attempt to sabotage one's posts - even the anticipation of receiving an infraction is sufficient to make many an ad hommer exhibit self control

The only problem is that if someone gets an infraction, even a two pointer, they tend to take it as a personal offense, and use the infraction system to get even - I recommend that if a person abuses the infraction system (posts 4 or more infractions that have been reversed within one week) they should score 19 infraction points - hopefully this would lighten the mod's workload a bit

I feel that the difference between having and not having an infraction system is the difference between having and not having an atmosphere civil enough for intelligent discussion (Sciforums - flame grilled discussion???)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.