Use of Profanity In Conveying An Idea

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by prozak, Nov 11, 2002.

1. prozak Banned Banned

We can refer to white people as casper but the inverse is not acceptable?

* Moderator Edit – profanity adds nothing to the discussion

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2002
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aseedrain Registered Senior Member

Two wrongs don't make a right, Prozak. Why lower yourselves to the level of those who make racists remarks if you are not one yourself?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. prozak Banned Banned

I'm not "lowering myself," you dogmatist idiot, but having fun with language. Also, I'm not too fond of these people committing massive violent rapes so I'm going to satirize them a bit.

Moderator: fear of profanity is juvenile.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Fear? Hardly.
    Use of profanity displays ignorance.

8. prozak Banned Banned

Use of a group of words is ignorance? I'd call that statement ignorance

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Not at all... use of profanity displays the speakers/writers
    inferior communication skills. Unable to convey precisely what
    they desire due to an insufficient vocabulary, they resort to
    profanity to cause what they feel is sufficient impact.

Unfortunate, really.

I don't censor thoughts, but profanity and the insulting or
    belittling of other members gets removed every time I see it,
    especially from those who find it necessary on a regular basis.

Peace.

10. prozak Banned Banned

I don't agree with your assessment. William Faulkner had inferior communication skills because he used profanity?

11. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

That is complete and utter bullshit. Get your head out of your ass and realize that expression on your terms is not what the rest of us are interested in.
    If youre too squeamish, browbeaten, conformist, stilted, shortsighted, pigheaded or stupid to see the creativity in pushing the envelope of language, get the fuck out out of the way so someone with better sense, a better mind and broader sensibilities can moderate.
    If you are so delicate and so concieted and narrow of mind that you think your terms of expression are the only alternatives, not only should you not be moderating, I would recommend that your spend your time
    here rather than fucking with the adults who are actually trying to communicate meaningfully.

12. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Dogmatist idiot ... Good shot. This dope shouldnt be moderating anything more exciting than a sunday school class

13. spookz Banned Banned

is anybody really insulted when called cracker, casper...., redneck has a bit more bite to it but that is more status orientated than racial.
    seems pretty tame when compared to nigger.
    what other racist terms are there for whitey? what are the origins and meaning of the words?

anybody? thoughts? comments? feedback? opinion?

morlock
    way fucking harsh

14. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

No, I dont think so. If your dont take a stand with idiots like this, you end up only being able to express ideas they approve of. This is the way censorship of ideas starts with well meaning "nice" people telling you how you have to communicate. I can understand censoring threats, I can understand censoring racial insults, but this idiot wants all of us to communicate on his own bland, whitebread, mind benumbed level.
    Assholes like this and his namby-pamby ideas on the use of language are the thin end of the wedge of censorship.

15. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

A list of authors who have been censored by narrow minded little twits:

http://www.banned-books.com/bbauth.html

Read it goofyfish. The kind of censorship you advocate has nothing to do with aptness of expression and everything to do with your own fucked up repression.

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

So, what's your point

Two hours, and that's the best you could come up with? A list of books that the author of that website claims have been "censored, challenged or banned" but fails to provide supporting detail? Weak effort, in my opinion, and unworthy of further discussion.

You whine because you are expected to convey your ideas without using language that many find objectionable. Profanity provides shock value and nothing more; it cheapens the writer and distracts from the point of a discussion.
    Hardly. If that was the case, unbalanced's thread regarding the Federal Reserve/IRS connection would be gone - I disagree with the conspiracy angle, but I am the one who split it out of another thread so it could be further discussed. GB-GIL's thread about Hitler's morals would vanish, not get moved to the Ethics forum. Several of your posts would get the axe.

I couldn't give a fiddler's fart about your opinion of me personally, but if you post in the WE&P forum, you'll do it in a civil manner, or I'll carve it up so it becomes civil. If this does not suit you, by all means find a forum where you don't feel so intellectually threatened.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2002
  17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I will say to you now that you are on the wrong path here. It has nothing to do with goofyfish in his editing of "objectionable expressions". Did you think he became a moderator because he couldn't express himself?

That your idea of expression isn't acceptable to the forum is something you will have to live with. I will tell you that disrespect to a mod will not end in your favor.

I am not admonishing you not to express yourself. I am telling you that there are ways to do it and you are going about it wrong here. As such it only puts you in a bad light.

Every time someone gets edited there seems to be the impression of "why me"? Because it happens so little in comparsion to most other boards it is a large event here. You have a large ground within which to express yourself, that doesn't mean anything goes and it never did.

18. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

This is exactly the kind of expression you object to as being "use of profanity displaying the speakers/writers
    inferior communication skills. Unable to convey precisely what
    they desire due to an insufficient vocabulary, they resort to
    profanity to cause what they feel is sufficient impact. "

By the way what decade of the 19 century did you get that little gem from?

How is the scatalogical absurdity "fiddlers fart" different from say "flying fuck"?
    Youre a hypocrite. Its not the use of profanity you object to its the terms and ideas themselves, the above proves that. And why use "fiddlers fart" when you could have just said "I dont care or something other of the kind? Because you wanted to add emphasis and color, right?
    So what words specifically do you object to? And more interestingly why?
    Fart apparently made the niceness cut, what doesnt?
    A small minded, parochial twit like your self with your small town sensibilities should not be moderating an internet discussion board, the kind of moderation you provide and the hypocracy you demonstrate cast a pall over the free expression of ideas.
    To quote Kurt Vonnebut, a great 20th century writer "go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut, go take a flying fuck at the moooooooooooooon"

19. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Fine. Ban me if you want to. I think the problem here is not whats acceptable to the forum at large but what is acceptable to goofyfish. With his hyper sensitivity to certain words that are an accepted part of everyday speech, he shouldnt be modding a forum.
    Especially an internet discussion forum. Goofyfish's ideas of acceptable expression seem to me hypocritical and not representative of the culture at large, especially internet culture. His ideas of acceptable expression seem more representative of a small midwestern town where "nice" is valued above truth or creative expression.
    I'm not particulary interested in what light Im cast. This is, to quote Abbie Hoffman, about the right to yell "theatre" at a crowded fire

Edited my qoute tags.

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Thank-you for beautifully illustrating my point about a person's inability to express themselves. Even in your ardent displays of profanity, you are cannot find your own words.

As you have demonstrated the urgent need to have the last word, please feel free - I've said all I need.

21. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Believe me, I have no trouble finding my own words

I was using the Vonnegut quote to illustrate a point about censorship, I guess the subltey escaped you

I say again, step down, let someone else who is more representative of the culture at large and less representative of small town middle america moderate.
    Inflicting your hick sensibilities and small town parochialism on people who are trying to communicate meaningfully makes you look silly and hampers the communication between posters.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Interestingly enough, all the more valuable and intellectual members of this site seem to use far less profanity than the others.

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Profanity adds spice.
    Vonnegut, Palahniuk, de Sade, Heller, Faulkner and Shakesphere used profanity in works that are very highly esteemed these days.

And some people can't communicate even without profanity.