USA Healthcare Reform, what about homeless?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darksidZz, Mar 13, 2011.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

They have not done it for Social Security, so why would they do it for PPCA? Additionally you are forgetting that exemptions must be approved by the Secretary of Health and Welfare. The government has shown no indication that would be generous with personal exemptions especially if these people are likely to show up for care in our healthcare system. Unlike other American religions groups, Muslims are not adverse to medical treatement.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Not correct in my state.

You can only qualify for Medicaid in my state if (a) you have been on social security benefits for A YEAR (and how you're supposed to pay for your care for that year, I dunno-I think the answer to that is they kinda hope you croak...)

or (b) you are female, unmarried, under the income threshold, and are pregnant or have popped out a child and said child is under 18.

I'm lucky enough to live in an urban county with a low-income health system...most of the rural counties have nothing.

I've never heard that from anywhere, and I have a friend who grew up Muslim...I think he would have said in the debates we've had on Obamacare.

Besides that, do you know how many Muslim doctors there are? The immigrant Muslim community has that general Asian cultural trend of making their kids study hard. They like to push their kids to be doctors, among other good, high-paying careers. You'd think they'd be for their kids getting paid...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes that is true, it does not cover all indigent people unfortunately.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes many including myself have been critical of PPCA (aka Obamacare). However, it is a baby step in the right direction. Healthcare insurance is indeed expensive in the United States. But under PPCA (aka Obamacare), those who cannot afford the price of healthcare will get federal subsidies making healthcare insurance affordable for every individual. The amount of subsidy is commensurate with the ability of the individual to pay...that makes sense. But is is not the ultimate solution for America's healthcare problems.

PPCA (Obamacare) attempts to control healthcare costs by making everyone share in the cost to the degree they are able to do so and by regulating healthcare insurance costs like a utility. It also starts collecting best practice information something one finds in all high quality organizations and operations and something that is not done today in the United States.

My problem with PPCA (aka Obamacare) is that it still leaves in place the disfunctional oligopolies in the American healthcare industry. And as long as those market structures are left in place healthcare costs will continue to rise faster than one would expect or could be justified in a truely open competitve healthcare market.

Ultimately the only solution to America's healthcare problem is to adopt the model used by other industrial countries, the single payer model. PPCA (aka Obamacare) is a baby step in the right direction. It is not the ultimate fix or cure for what ails the American healthcare system. Given the power of the healthcare special interests in Washington, it is a miracle that PPCA (aka Obamacare) happened at all. PPCA is a baby step, a first step in the right direction.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I looked up the word indigent at dictionary.com:
    I always cringe when I hear the word "indigent." It makes me angry, because I hear the word "indigent" and I think of some crusty bum who smells of vodka.
    I work full-time. But I can't afford state risk pool insurance.
    I can't pay out of pocket for the care I need either.
    My company's insurance plan is jaw-droppingly crappy... I could pay $225 a month for it and have $35 MAXIMUM monthly prescription coverage, and a yearly cap of $2000 hospitalization...with a $500 deductible...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do y'all think that is worth buying???

So I'm enrolled in the health program for "indigent" county residents...grr...

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Indigent is not a bad word. Many of us including myself had very humble origins. Low paying jobs and those who occupy them are needed and important too.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

True that...somebody's always gotta swab the toilets.

Although the guy who vacuums the port-a-cans? he makes 40K a year.

I could put up with a lot of crap for 40K a year :xctd: