US ready to strike Iran by spring

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Feb 10, 2007.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

On the HS50s, I found this from the Herald-Tribune

There are obviously many allegations flying around. It's going to be important differentiate those confirmed by accountable sources from the rumors.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Same thing, 15/19. I do appreciate the links- But notice there is no source for the information named, just "the Telegraph reported". Lacking a source, we can't put much weight on it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I heard ABC News insinuating that Moqtada has relocated to Tehran. That's significant to this story if true, whatever the reason. Since Sadr's been keeping the brakes on the Shi'ite militias, this could be bad news.

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If true, yes, its very bad news. The Mahdi Army will be uncontrolled. The US can look forward to the escalation they were advocating, only from the other side.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

An example of how the real meaning of an event can be very unclear from an early headline: "Al Sadr Fled Iraq, Fearing U.S. Bombs"

"Moqtada Visits Tehran" as a headline wouldn't alarm me much, because a nice friendly (temporary) visit on his part to Tehran would seem routine to me. In fact he's been making speeches from Tehran, without really raising eyebrows. But if Moqtada Sadr is no longer safe in Sadr City, whether it's due to more militant Shi'a militants than he threatening his personal safety, or if (as ABC News reports) the US is running him out of town, things just got significantly more dangerous. In combination with the present finger-pointing at Iran, this could get a lot more dangerous in a hurry.

If the Shi'ite militias are about to seriously cut loose with an escalation of reprisals on Sunnis or Americans over this, then all this rumbling about the Iran connection suddenly has a whole scary new dimension.

Here's news.com.au's little blurb on this, really just parroting ABC- the only other story on the subject I've found so far. Like ABC, they're saying he's been gone 2 or 3 weeks, which is no surprise since he's been giving speeches from there, without any speculation that I've seen about his junket being extended for "health reasons".

(edit) I really don't know what to make of this. If ABC is intentionally trying to rile things up without substance, this is a bloody good way to do it (turning a routine diplomatic trip into an ominous exodus). If they're irresponsibly blustering ("lookitim run, the sand-nigger's skeeerd of us!") then it's highly irresponsible. If it turns out there's really something to this, then I know I'm going to be very worried.

Damn these low standards in high-profile journalism! If they keep fucking around like this a lot of people could get killed because of a thoughtless headline.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  11. Genji Registered Senior Member

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It's a fucking beauty. Lots of oily spoils, or spoily oils up there. We even have the Israelis aligning with the Kurds, and Turkey with their stake, so that Iraq's peaceful oasis can get wound up into stark raving hell in no time. Can't we just crucify the handful of idiots in Washington that initiated this whole cataclysm, and call the whole thing off? Can't we all just get along?

I know, I know. Too late.

Fuck.

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It's still unclear if Moqtada has bugged out as more stories are published:

14. draqon Banned Banned

Bush is a suicide. He will do it.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Draqon:

Upon what foundation do you affirm this?

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

These nameless "US officials" and their media mouthpieces are playing with fire it when it comes to the psychology of Arab power politics: Crowing that Moqtada is scared of them puts immense pressure on Moqtada to react soon. I sure hope he continues to keep a cool head.

17. draqon Banned Banned

he already made accusations...
    these are the same as claiming that Iraq has WMD's

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"these are the same as claiming that Iraq has WMD's"

But last time around (leading up to the attack on Iraq) the President wasn't denying plans for war like he is now. I suspect (hope?) there's a sense in his monkey-brain that he's cracked open the gates of hell enough already.

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

All this anonymous sourcing, scapegoating Iran and challenging Moqtada's manhood, is really getting to me. This is really fucked up and reckless, anonymous bastards ratcheting up dangerous tensions, and playing with other people's lives without any personal accountability. I've been hoping not to be left alone in my indignation. Not much comfort here so far...

I did find IraqSlogger venting about the same bullshit:

Aren't any of you outraged by this cowardly recklessness?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You get used to stupidity.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think anyone is actually swallowing this bull, not even the ones dishing it out. Unfortunately it makes no difference to the outcome.

22. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Note to self: The conventional wisdom herein, distilled, says that talking and acting big is the same thing as being big and being able to demonstrate that fact in real-time.

Thus is life within the alternative universe of tea-time.

Ah-ha. Containment works afterall!

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bigger is not necessarily better.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!