US Presidential Debates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Sep 25, 2016.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Tomorrow night the US presidential debates begin. This will be a first time the world will get the opportunity to see the two leading presidential candidates on the same stage. That's big. These debates could be a game changer.

Already the spin has begun. Trump has accused the debate moderator, Lester Holt, of being a Democrat. That's all well and good, except for one thing, Lester Holt is a registered Republican. But then again, Trump is not a man who cares much for facts or reason. It's all about the emotional presentation with The Donald. It always has been.

One of the big issues with The Donald is his blatant dishonesty. Politico did a study of Trump's penchant for lies and discovered Trump casts a lie every 3.25 minutes. As a result, Democrats wants debate moderators to fact check the candidates. Obviously Republicans, especially The Donald, are passionately opposed to moderators fact checking the candidates for obvious reasons. One moderator, another Republican moderator and Fox News host. Chris Wallace, has gone on record stating he will do no fact checking. Maybe that could fly in a normal election cycle. But in an election cycle where one candidate lies so prolifically, I don't see how one cannot fairly avoid the issue. Trump's lies must be addressed in the debates in order for the debate to be a fair debate. When one candidate can just make shit up as The Donald is want to do without fear of being called out, well, that's not fair to American voters.

NBC is hosting the debate tomorrow. NBC doesn't have a very good record record in that regard. The worst debate during the Republican primaries was beyond question the NBC debate. Tomorrow's debate is an opportunity for redemption. So let's see what happens.

Welcome to the US presidential debates. This thread is dedicated to voicing your thoughts and comments on the debate. Who won? Who lost, and why? I'm looking forward to the debates. Although I'm deeply distressed by the choice of debate moderators. I find only one debate moderator to be worthy and an unbiased, tough and fair moderator, i.e. Martha Raddatz . The rest are disappointments in my book. I hope I'm wrong. I hope they surprise me.

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-presidential-debate-schedule/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

I don't believe Trump's lies will go unnoticed. I suspect Clinton will be well enough prepared to call him on them. All the moderator needs to do is to insure that she has the opportunity to challenge Trump.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I can remember George W Bush getting more or less destroyed in every Presidential debate he entered - inarticulate, ill-informed, confused, at one debate wearing a hidden device on his back that printed against his coat (widely believed to have been a prompter of some kind). I remember that being very satisfying to the liberals - the high points of the campaigns.

I doubt Trump will perform as poorly as W did, though.

It's too bad Clinton got cornered like this, I was hoping her campaign could somehow manipulate Trump into rejecting the entire format and refusing to debate, but we can hope for the best - she has been modulating her voice a little better, and Trump is quite capable of blowing himself up on stage. At least she will almost certainly "win" the debate, so that will be a feel-good moment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We don't "know" that she will win this first debate. I feel sure that she will "win" the 3 debates overall but you never know about the first one.

She will probably win the first one but Trump may somehow manage to stay calm and avoid hard questions initially and Clinton may be the one who comes off poorly.

For sure she will figure him out before the 3 debates are over. I think he will lose all 3 but you never know.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I'll certainly be watching it.. Live they reckon... to a mere 100 million ( a lot more than that would be more accurate IMO)

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I am afraid that Trump will be able to control himself enough that he doesn't rant and rave like a lunatic and that will be percieved as a win for him. The bar is so low for him and so high for Hillary I don't see how he could lose.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I do so hope I am wrong....

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Me too. Given what Trump has done and what he has said, frankly, it's astounding. This shouldn't even be close. That says either we have some really screwed up pollsters or some really dense or ill informed fellow Americans. I mean, how the hell can a candidate who has openly endorsed torture and advocated for expanding the use of torture be doing so well in the polls? It's mind boggling. This isn't the America I have known. This isn't my father's or his father's America either. They fought the fascism Trump endorses.

Trump has said a lot of crap, most all of it false. But he wants people to, and many people do, believe that Hillary is the distrustful candidate. Hilary should be able to make verbal mincemeat out of him this evening. Unfortunately there is world of difference between "should" and "will", and Hilary has been known to inexplicably tumble on things that shouldn't be that difficult. So let's keep our fingers crossed and pray.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

W&Cheney were elected in 2000 - sixteen years ago - by a significant majority of the votes of white American men 30 - 65. Their endorsement of maltreating criminals and bad guys - and everybody knew exactly whom and what they were talking about - was open, no secret.

They were routinely described as conservatives - defenders of American tradition. They were from Texas, and proud of it - Texas jails were well known for brutality, for generations.

W&Cheney were re-elected in November of 2004, by an increased majority of those same white men, after, not before, even the photos - never mind the story - from Abu Ghraib had hit the public airwaves. The photos of the first detainees at Gitmo had been published on the covers of national magazines more than a year before - they looked like this: https://timemilitary.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/50383255.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

This America is a new discovery? :
    http://toprightnews.com/ferguson-to-erect-memorial-plaque-to-honor-violent-thug-michael-brown/
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/238860/michael-brown-criminal-and-thug-matthew-vadum
    http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/...hanger-mike-brown-officer-darren-wilson-case/
    http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/08/09/two-years-death-mike-browns-supporters-learned-nothing/

The America in which this general take on Ferguson was covered as news in a British newspaper, instead of being the basic and routine nature of every US TV report? : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ichael-Brown-thug-didn-t-deserve-shot.htmland
    and is described as "controversial" and "liberal" - a minority opinion, then and still.

The America in which this, from one of the many news reports of this little factoid, was barely noticed and not a flash point? (the practice of police officers covering their names and badge numbers is common, routine, in America)
    This America, from Grenada, Mississippi, fifty years ago, to its most important city last year, is a new discovery? : http://www.crmvet.org/info/grenada.htm
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/mike-bloombergs-new-york-cops-in-your-hallways-20120403 (The Bloomberg involved there is this one, doing the factchecking: https://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/...rk-fact-check-candidates-during-debate/213317 ).

Trump's appealing to the core Republican voter as established fifty years ago by Richard Nixon, taking advantage of the white male reaction to Lyndon Johnson's civil rights enforcement. He has strong majority support from the police and the military, for the same reasons Nixon, Reagan, and W did. He's this year's Great Communicator, moving from the experience and reputation gained on a "reality" TV show ("Death Valley Days", in Reagan's case) to political campaigning in a natural way. In the game of Capture the Flag, he has captured it (people making a big deal out of waving the American flag are Trump supporters, by and large). All standard.

There's nothing new about Donald Trump, except the vulgarity of his style. And that he can modulate - he has demonstrated the ability. This Presidential campaign season is standard American , a familiar product of the country familiar to us all for our entire adult lives.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

(wild guess dujour)
    HRC supporters will see/claim that HRC won the debate
    Trump supporters will see/claim that Trump won the debate.

13. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Really? Trump obviously snorted a bit much cocaine - but anywho...

She cleaned his clock. The problem as I see it is that no one that was voting Trump yesterday will be voting any differently tomorrow. You are a case in point...

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Hmm...wild guess? Yeah.

What's important is what most people thought about the debate. And I think most people think Clinton did very well tonight. Trump was definitely knocked off his horse at the git-go. I think Trump was intimidated by Hillary. Trump was obviously nervous and it showed in his face and mannerisms. He was constantly fidgeting and drinking water. He was definitely feeling uncomfortable. He didn't have control of the facts. Trump was either ignorant of the facts or he just blatantly lied which is his longstanding habit.

Trump was Trump tonight.

When I listen to right wing radio tomorrow, I'm sure they will be singing Trump's praises as they always do. Hannity is on The Donald's campaign staff. Right wingers are impervious to facts and reason. It's their way. Hannity was lying his ass off today to his listeners as is his custom.

Lester Holt surprised me. He did a very good job as moderator. He challenged The Donald on some of his lies. That's a good thing, and he did it well. I was impressed by Holt this evening.

15. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Woooooo I debated ddyyddr years ago and bluntly stated what trump hinted on.

16. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Trump never hit the defensive. Not once. Attacked only once and offended every time.

Everything he said can be backed up.

Hilary attacked so much it's hard not to say when she was defensive or ignorant

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And reality will not be involved - on the Trump backers's side.

He did better than W did against Gore or Kerry, of course - he's far more comfortable on stage. So that's a reality for the adults to consider.

There is also the reality of the media we have, to consider. Those of us who are considering reality are still watching that aspect of all this.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  18. Bells Staff Member

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed the constant *Snffffffffffffffff* noises he was making with his nose as he kept trying to suck something back up there throughout the debate.

At one point, when he started yelling, I honestly thought he would storm off the stage.

One thing I noticed at the end, was his snub to the moderator. Clinton walked over and shook his hand, Trump looked him dead in the eyes and snubbed him and refused to shake his hand and walked straight past him.

And his tax comments.. about how he's smart for not paying tax... I just about died laughing.

Of course. I doubt anyone felt any differently. I think it is safe to say that Trump's die supporters do not care about 'facts'.

19. Bells Staff Member

Then back it up.

We await your fact checking Trump's bizarre statements with great enthusiasm.

If you aren't sure where to start, how about I make it easier for you. Prove that Hillary Clinton has been fighting ISIS since the 1960's and 70's. Remember? Trump declared in the debate that Clinton has been fighting ISIS for the entirety of her adult life. So prove that ISIS were around in the 60's and 70's and that Hillary Clinton was fighting them since back then. Good luck.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Maybe Trump is suffering from some undisclosed health problem.

That was the before Kellyanne Conway Trump showing.

To bad Holt wasn't a female, in past debates under similar circumstances Trump would have lashed out with a blatantly sexist remark.

Trump's now trying to walk those comments back.

Well, let's hope some people feel differently. Trump's die hard supporters won't be changed by tonight. They are impervious to fact and reason. As Trump has famously and repeated said, he could go out and shoot people on the streets and he wouldn't lose a single vote from those folks. And unfortunately, he's correct.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Watched about an hour of the debate tonight, and I'm not really an advocate for either side, but if I had to choose who fared better in the debate, it'd be Clinton. She seemed smooth, and in some ways rehearsed, but that is to be expected to a degree. Trump was all over the place, making faces, and really couldn't speak in concrete ways about any topic. This isn't to say I believe everything Clinton was stating, but comparing the two from a debating perspective, I'd say she came out ahead. I don't really want to vote because I'm not enthusiastic about either candidate.

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Hillary "won" but I doubt if it will effect the voting results much one way or the other. I think half of the people who support Trump like him and the other half just want to shake things up and therefore it doesn't matter what Trump says and does.

Some of those who want change just figure that the system is bound to change after the disaster of a Trump Presidency.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

With out reviewing it I found that Hillary answered or at least addressed most, if not all questions asked of her by the moderator where as I think Trump actually managed only one ( the last one about his support for the outcome of the election.)
    That if Hillary won the election she would have his "absolute" support... or something to that effect...which is rather bizarre given his serious attempt to bring her down as unfit.

wegs likes this.