US 'must end secret detentions'

Discussion in 'World Events' started by spuriousmonkey, May 19, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4996798.stm

Now, the US has been told by the world (in the form of the UN) that they have crossed the border of civilized behaviour and this is not acceptable.

Should the US pay attention to this report? Or continue its isolation policy?

Should the rest of the world force the US to change their ways? Sanctions?

Can the US really police the world if the world says they broken the international laws themselves?

Does the US really have to end the secret detentions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i think there will be a lip service to the ruling. international inspectors will be allowed to come in once a year or something, i dont know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

During WW2, the International Red Cross was allowed to visit, inspect, and even leave observers permanently in the German slave-labor camps. But the US refuses to allow the Red Cross to inspect any of the US camps.

Why? What have they got to hide?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Torture is a neccesity if we are to break terrorists and get the info we need. besides who cares what the UN says? there the biggest joke in human history.

8. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

No, people like you are the biggest joke in human history. Did you actually think before you typed? I'm leaning towards...no.

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Thats probaly true abductions of US spies in Iraq by the soldiers of the Iraqi National Liberation army is necessary and their videotaped beheadings desired because it has stopped most US covert activities against Iraqi civilians . It has been a successful tactic .

10. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

And give a reason for this?

11. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Let's see. You are pro-torture in the "war on terror." From other threads, you are for a dictatorship or monarchy in the U.S. because you think Americans have too much freedom. You have also said that you think Hitler's biggest mistake was declaring war on the U.S. You think that Near Death Experiences are "evidence for there being a part of us living on after death."

In my mind, you sound like an extreme right-wing evangelical christian who wouldn't mind seeing a theocratic dictator in control of America. In my mind, people like you are what's wrong with this world and have been what's wrong with it since we crawled up out of the ocean.

12. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

tell me if a man had info on a possible terrorist strike that could kill 1000s of people but wouldnt talk under normal conditions would you torture 1 man to save thousands of innocent lives? I know i would.

Americans do have to much freedom. in my mind a goverment should be more worried about the safe-keeping of its citizens than its citizens happiness becuase withut survival there is no chance to experince any thing.

If hitler had not declared war on the US there is a pretty good chance he could have completley taken over Europe.

As for that if you read the rest of the topic i said i would do more research on the subject of NDEs.

As for being christian i am far from it.

13. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Alright, you win. I'm tired of this shit.

14. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Poor kid, torturing doesn't work. When a person is tortured they'll say whatever you want to hear, but it won't mean it's true.

And hell, a terrorist strike is nothing. More people die every single day in this country than if 9/11 happened every single year. I don't see anyone quaking in fear of being run over by a random car wanting to give up their freedoms to catch horrible drivers.

Oh man, get the hell out of our country, assuming you live here.

Hey, lay off those meds. We want the real Cottontop back!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh yeah, and don't forget to mention that you were in the military too, just in case Spiritual Spy decides to say you know nothing of the real world living in your ivory tower.

- N

15. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

Yes that would do it. Santion, so not only the United States, but the entire world's economy collapses. Thats gonna happen. :bugeye: The only realistic santions I see is if the United States stops giving money to the UN.

Its interesting you call this an isolation policy. The U.S. should rid itself on Guantanamo Bay, since this is where the world seems to have focus. The United States is simply in the spotlight, but is not doing anything that all the other nations don't do themselves but keep clandestine.

Do you think it is really possible to have any type of covert anti-terror activities if you announce everyone you capture? Does that really sound realistic?

16. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Who are they supposed to annouce their captures to? The whole world including the media or something? If just other intelligence agencies and the Red Cross and whatnot, I don't find anything wrong with that, unless you think Al Qaeda has infiltrated all foreign intelligence services and the Red Cross.

- N

17. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

torture works just fine especialy mental torture tell them if they find out they lied theyll kill family members ETC.

So you think people blowing themselves up becuase of our ideas is equal to a drunk driver running someone over?

i live in the US and the corruption of the goverment just shows that it is to free.
    And i wont say that he dosent know the real world becuase thats a pointless arguement. And kudos to cottontop for being patriotic and being in the millitary. That is possibly the most honorable job someone can have.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Fair is fair though. Iraq didn't comply with the UN and this was for the US reason to sanction it and bomb the shit out of it? Aren't we all equal? Freedom only for americans? Oink oink?

Keeping people who fought on the other side in afghanistan is an covert anti-terror activity? I thought that particular 'war' was quite well publicized in the media? It's ok to hold people without charges or trial? Is that another example of the freedom the US is bringing to the world? Some are more free than others? Oink oink?

19. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

For one, I do not agree with the Iraq war. Secondly, this has nothing to do with the question about secret prisons. The United States ignored the U.N. when it said do not invade, so I not sure what your point is supposed to be. They seem pretty consistent in ignoring the U.N. Apples and oranges.

Those held in prison, for the most part, had a connection to Al Qaeda or supported their stay in Afghanistan, which is why the U.S. was interested in interrogating them. Those who fought as soldiers only were released in a short period of time.

Prisoners in war have no right to a trial. Generally, they are held until the conflict has ended. The conflict in Afghanistan has certainly not ended. Did the American's release the German prisoners before the end of WWII? I am not sure why people feel they have a right to a trial, as if they were common criminals....

Unlike most who try to claim otherwise, I do not state the the U.S. is any better at bringing freedom then most of its fellow democracies. The are simply holding prisoners of war, and treating prisoners the same as any one else does, or has in the past. Guantanamo Bay is a huge exaggeration, which is why I feel it should be shut down for prisoner holding.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What's new?

21. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

We should have located our secret prisons in Dafur.

Then the UN would have even less of substance to wheeze.

The rest of the world can barely pay their UN dues.

What "force'' does the rest of the world possess that can make the US bend to their will, when the rest of the world can't even make the rest of the world a place that US citizens feel at all compelled to visit with their tourist dollars?

The rest of the world is welcome to itself. Leave us out of it. Thank you.
    The first thing a criminal says to the cops is, "I'm innocent! Your racist!"
    No.

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

How does the corruption of the government make the country too free? Do you mean makes the government more free or the people? Sure, a corrupt government act freely, but our corrupt government is taking away freedoms, not giving out more.

- N

23. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War.

This is a war. They are prisoners of war.
    We didn't have to keep them alive in the first place.
    They are lucky we are the U.S. (the good guys) and not some Muslim country, or they would be talking to Allah instead of an interogator.