Urgent - Can Money Buy Happieness???? Needed For Debate

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by roadblock, Oct 19, 2003.

1. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey y'all

I would really like some help on this. I'm doing a debate and i really need some points. I'm trying to say that money can't buy happiness, can ne of u help me? Thanx

Rob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Money is a means to an end. The ends can definatly make happyness easier to come by.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

Money can buy satisfaction, comfort, security. But true happiness tends to occur in those odd moments when you've managed to forget your troubles, forget your chores, forget who you are, where you live....and just let go.

A little clearer:

Money can buy satisfaction. You desire something so you go out and buy it.

Money can buy comfort. Fine clothing, furniture.

Money can buy security. Job, health...whatnot.

Does it seem like acquiring material objects leads directly to happiness? Does this always make someone happy? If you miss your best friend at the moment you get the keys to a brand new car, would you in that moment jump for joy? Odds are that you would be down and while you muster a smile...inside the car doesn't feel enough.

True happiness appears to be something that comes through relationships with people. They are what truly can affect us in ways both good and bad.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Yeah -- money can buy you physical happiness.

But it can also be a problem of excesses - ie, too much, and you become soft. That can cause a person to become unhappy (unless they have extreme self control.)

The key is using what you have in moderation.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It seems that an increase in wealth often makes a person slightly happier. But it doesn't necessairly turn an unhappy person into a happy person.

9. Raha Registered Senior Member

Well, in my opinion the there is no simple “yes” or “no” answer. Because first you need to define what you understand as “happiness”. If think about some temporary emotion, than yes, money can buy it. I experienced this several times in my life when I bought something I dreamed about. I still remember the pure bliss, for instance, when I bought my first really good stereo and put the first CD on. Or the first ride on my first mountain bike. First ride in my first car…etc. I really felt happy in those occassions.
    If you are thinking about happiness as rather permanent state of mind, well, if something like that really exists, I doubt money have much to do with it. They can help, sure, but they can spoil it as well. So no – this kind of happiness is relative to everyone’s expectations, values, attitudes etc.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You are right , it cannot buy happiness it can only bring you
    fleeting moments of satisfaction and ego lifting. Consider nature and everytime you look at it you get something for nothing and I hope it is a happy thought that you attain from anything nature gives us.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  11. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

Most people who have money like me are happy in one sense, but unhappy in another. People make people unhappy in my opinion, its life's tool for frenzy. Money makes many people jeolous and miserable because they cant relate, they cant say they dont have to worry about bills when the post comes through the letterbox in the mourning.

Who needs comfort, who needs a smart expensive car, why cant people be happy with what theyv'e got. The human race makes a race of their own concerning money, people think money will make them somebody which obviously is untrue.

Slavery and Greed, hell, the world was built on it.

The people who think money will make them happy, need help bigtime.

You get brainwashed by entertainment and material items that are completly unimportant to you health.

Brainwashed arent you, what millionaires arent made of, so dont expect millions to come your way, spender.

12. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Happiness is a state of mind of feeling good which can be obtained through material items, being in love, your surroundings, your friends and family. Now, consider the degree in which you are happy with each of these; Owning a Mercedes may make me happy but if i do not have the love of friends and family my life would be quite empty; thus unhappy. It doesn't matter how many nice cars or whatever I will never be truely happy without the love of friends and family. Money cannot buy the love of friends or family. True happiness cannot be bought.