update: tripoli seems to be falling

Discussion in 'World Events' started by chimpkin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Kool-Aid laced with the requisite mercury-tainted GMO corn syrup, no doubt.

Depends on how much you trust the media doing the reporting. I have been reading and hearing reports throughout the debacle since March that are contradictory.

Taken with the reports of his son Saif being arrested while he is apparently not in jail, it is evident that at the very least, there is plenty of misleading propaganda being promulgated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The celebrations are probably premature.

Saif has just appeared on TV again.
    He seems to pop up out of nowhere every evening.
    He's like a bladdy vampire

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe the plan is to let the rebels fire all their bullets celebrating,
    then when they have run out, start the counterattack.

Crafty eh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Kucinich: NATO must account for Libyan deaths

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A US lawmaker fiercely opposed to NATO's role in the Libya conflict called Tuesday for the alliance's military chiefs to be held to account under international law for the deaths of Libyan civilians.

"Otherwise we will have witnessed the triumph of a new international gangsterism," Democratic Representative Dennis Kucinich, a leading opponent in the US Congress to Washington's role in the fighting, said in a statement.

Kucinich said that NATO forces had flouted UN Security Council resolutions in acting as "the air force for the rebels, who could not have succeeded but for NATO's attacks" and had "illegally pursued regime change."

"NATO's top commanders may have acted under color of international law but they are not exempt from international law," he said, as rebels against Moamer Kadhafi captured the Libyan strongman's fortified Tripoli compound.

"If members of the Kadhafi regime are to be held accountable, NATO's top commanders must also be held accountable through the International Criminal Court for all civilian deaths resulting from bombing," said Kucinich.

NATO has insisted that its attacks are in keeping with UN resolutions passed this year which allow military action to protect civilians in Libya.

But UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has expressed alarm at the number of civilian casualties in the conflict, including those inflicted in NATO air strikes.

And NATO's air attacks have drawn harsh criticism from members of the UN Security Council, including Russia, China, Brazil, India and South Africa, who say the action goes beyond UN resolutions on Libya.

Why doesn't Kucinich run against Obomber already? Does it have something to do with that ride on Air Force 1 in which he "changed" his mind about the healthcare bill?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and That

Because people want to be cynical about Western nations.

• • •​

Unfortunately, as with earlier reports that Saif al-Islam had been captured, that's not accurate. The current tale, posted minutes ago, for the Wall Street Journal:

Libyans poured into streets surrounding Moammar Gadhafi's fortress-like compound in Tripoli on Tuesday, after rebels captured it following fierce street battles against forces loyal to the longtime ruler.

Streets around the Bab al-Aziziya compound rang with mortars, heavy machine-guns and antiaircraft guns throughout much of the day as rebels took up positions around the symbolic heart of Col. Gadhafi's regime ....

.... On Sunday, rebels swept into Col. Gadhafi's last stronghold city and the center of his nearly 42-year rule, and celebrated on the city's central Green Square.

But battles continued Monday. Forces loyal to Col. Gadhafi conducted lightning strikes on rebels, several neighborhoods appeared to remain in the control of loyalist soldiers and residents spoke of snipers situated in several neighborhoods.

Throughout Tuesday, forces loyal to Col. Gadhafi continued to battle through Tripoli's densely populated neighborhoods, attacking and defending patches of territory across the seemingly divided capital.

Still, though, compared to rumors that Qadafi would take down all of Tripoli with him in a doomsday stand, things seem to be going pretty well ... insofar as any war can go well.

Notes:

Levinson, Charles. "Rebels Overrun Gadhafi Compound". The Wall Street Journal. August 23, 2011. Online.WSJ.com. August 23, 2011. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903327904576525652544535820.html

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

As usual, the press and TV hang around some statue that people are attacking.
    I have seen that golden head being kicked around all day.
    And that American plane being crushed in a big Ghaddafi hand.
    Seems to be indestructible. Can't someone get a saw to it?

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

There are plenty of Golden Heads. Made in USA. Or China. Little difference.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

They keep showing the same stuff .

The celebrations.
    Firing of guns.
    A city taken with no bloodshed.
    A civil war that ends in handshakes and big smiles.
    Unbelievable.
    A miracle.

The conspiracy theorists will have fun with this one.

@G
    The factories are probably churning them out right now.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because he would be crazy to run against a successful policy? This is a big win for Obama!

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I have a feeling that the USA is mainly concerned with maintaining the USD as the World Reserve currency. China funded the war, by buying USD, they get some oil. What do we care? By we I mean the Federal Reserve and US Politicians who need that sweet USD to keep their bullshit afloat. IOWs, I think the goal is to maintain the USD as the reserve currency. Why else give China the spoils? It only seems reasonable because we get to print money. At the end of the day the oil goes to where it's purchased, which is done in USD.

The USA doesn't play nice.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The statue remains intact.
    All around things are pockmarked with celebration bullets.
    What the hell is it made of?

Could the Colonel be inside?
    Is this his bunker?

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

Those aren't celebration bullets' marks.
    Gadhafi used to say "f--k USA, f--k the west, .. and he's usual crap (not exactly the word f--k, but that meaning...), so USA sent some jets, and bombed he's palace as a responce, he's son died in that, so he left the palace unrepaire like that, to show how he "challenged" the western politics, and that statue is made after that, because he did take a jet down, so he made that "symbole"

15. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

1 Air power. 2 he wasn't beaten so easily. How many months is this? How long ago did our media first tell us Tripoli was about to fall any day?

About air power: How quickly did the Norther Alliance in Afghanistan take over most of Afghanistan from Taliban when they got the support of US Air power? Does anybody today pretend today that the Northern Alliance had more supporters than the Taliban did?

Moderates don't fight, at least they don't fight until late in the game. Moderates stay inside and try to keep the families and material possessions out of harms way while they leave the fighting to more opinionated people and people who get off on the idea of being heroes.

Our media is damn near useless at reporting truth. The tell us what we want to hear and they tell us what they are told by the governments and corporations feeding them propaganda. Mostly they plagiarize each other.

I don't doubt that the majority opposed Gaddafi prior to the West getting involved but when attacked by foreign powers people normally rally around their leaders. Some including I believe Fisk were going against the dominant Western media narrative by saying the majority were as of a few months ago supporting Gaddafi against the rebels. First hand reports from near Benghazi a few months ago said the fighting was unpaid irregulars versus unpaid irregulars.

Israel created a narrative of a rag tag under armed Jewish people defeating fully equipped Arab Armys but in truth those Jews were better armed and better prepared than their enemies. David killed goliath with a slingshot. Movie after movie has the outgunned miraculously coming out victorious. But is the story true?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Aaaaah. Mystery solved.
    Thanks for the history lesson, Shadow.
    That does make sense.

btw Your English is getting very good.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

How typical.

Successful how? Inventing enemies in the guise of protecting innocent civilians, while bombing innocent civilians?

Let's give him another Nobel while we're at it.

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What I find so funny about this whole charade, is how many so-called "Progressive" Democrats are fully behind Obama, backing any all warmonger activities. Invade Tripoli, perfect fine. Put down Shia in KSA, Yemen or Bahrain, yup, that's fine too. Soon we'll have Islamists running Tripoli and we'll be bombing them too.

How much oil do you suppose the "Islamists" Rebels will have to send to Europe to pay for Libya? How much money will they need to send to the USA? How much interest will NATO members pay to the US Fed so we can continue shoring up the destruction of American cities with cheap credit and welfare?

19. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

They figured it would be cheaper just to keep it for when the new Islamic government decides to hate the U.S....

20. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Yep. The "freedom" fighters and liberators are being told that they are incapable of actually running the country once they succeed, meaning that they will be openly run by foreign politics and advisers. What happens if and when they go wild and defiant, both to their loving overlords in the West, and to the loyalists? There are many reports since the beginning of this of the rebels engaged in what could only be called war crimes. And there is the connection to "Al Qaeda" and religious extremism.
    All of that thrown into the pot is a recipe for butchery and bloodbath at the hands of NATO. NATO will probably have to crush down the rebels at some point, and people like the goatlord will always say "How Wonderful!" We do what we need to do, regardless of how many people die and who we double cross.

Cheer on Gaddafi! He's our partner in the war on terror - John McCain's own words not too long ago. Now McCain is calling for blood. These two-faced psychos and sociopaths have no honor, no integrity, and no compassion. They are masters of the lie; vampires who sap the lifeforce of our country and the world.
    These people are adept at taking a handful of beaten down protesters and making it a humanitarian issue that ends in cities in flame and rubble.
    Humanitarian

Aye. I have been thinking this the whole time. Like all the frozen assets of the legitimate Libya... how much you wanna bet those will be dangled like carrots? "Oh, you can have them, but we'll give it to the World Bank, and lend you your own money for a small bit of interest! Sound good?"
    How much you wanna freakin bet that these people will now be paying dues to foreign money interests, just to live on their own property??? The "free market" will bleed them dry. I am quite positive (in a negative way!) that Libya is going to be permanently downgraded as to standard of living and economic prosperity.

Course, I live in Flyover Territory, so I'm just blathering in the only manner I know how.

21. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

It took me a while to come to a conclusion about John McCains Maverickness. I don't think he is bright enough to understand some things and I don't think he has the patience to give a damn about what comes out of his mouth and that makes him seem refreshingly candid.

I was surprised when McCain while speaking at a gathering of blue collar union workers told them that no Americans would be willing to pick lettuce in Arizona for $50 an hour and that this is why America needs illegal immigrants. When the Union workers laughed in response to this McCain got flustered and started trying to tell the Union workers that they could not physically do the lettuce picking work which while perhaps true does not change the absurdity of McCain's statement.

McCain maybe two faced on Illegal immigration. I am quite sure he still believes the lettuce farmers argument that illegal immigrants are necessary and good for America and that Americans are unwilling to do hard dirty work. McCain has figured out that most Arizonans don't like so many Mexicans being in Arizona so McCain now pretends to be against illegal immigration. On wars I don't think McCain is two faced he just is not fazed by changing alliances. He is enthusiastic for whoever America's allies happen to be in the moment and filled with hate for whoever America's enemies happen to be in the moment and he does not think about the implications of good guys suddenly becoming bad guys and bad guys suddenly becoming good guys.

I think McCain deeply needs to see the US involvement in Vietnam as heroic. Anything vaguely similar to the US involvement in Vietnam must also unquestionably be considered heroic. McCain was tortured and suffered for years in a Vietnamese prisoner of war camp and McCain dropped bombs that killed hundreds or thousands of people and McCain does not want to hear that his sacrifice was for a worthless cause. To believe in the rightness of the Vietnam war requires believing in the rightness America asserting itself all over the world and using dominance to make a better world safe from the scary bad men whoever they hapen to be at the moment.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Nirakar, your assessment of McCain seems pretty close to the truth.

Then again, I'm not always willing to rule out the possibility that some of our politicians are really consciously opportunistic and evil.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Hot news (if true)

Hot news (if true):

A senior commander in Libya's transitional authorities says they have captured former Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi. The news came after transitional forces claimed control of Sirte.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15385955