Unusual Names

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Landau Roof, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

I thought it might be fun to start a thread about unusual names. I mean full names, and real names, not imaginary, amusing ones. I will start with two young gentlemen, I did not have the pleasure of knowing personally. The first was a basketball player in a U.S. northeastern university that my best freind tutored for some time, and the other is a christian of Chinese descent.

Fitzgerald Bobo

Justin The Hin Bun

So the point of this thread is, whenever you're feeling down or unfortunate, you may remind yourself, "At least my name isn't ________________"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Ima Hogg

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I met a young girl called "Rosetta"

Not a very interesting or strange name until I tell her last name.
    It was: Stone.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I had occasion to meet a police forensic tech whose name badge read "A. BREEZE".

I jokingly asked if her name was Autumn. It was.

10. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Good of you not to keep us in suspense very long, Billy. Thanks. Do you know; is it possible that Rosetta's parents kind of forgot about that famous stone and just thought the name sounded nice? She must get a few smirks here and there, Rosetta Stone, even worse than the many received by Crystal Glass.

I knew, not a boy named Sue, sculptor,(or even a lady lawyer) but a Briton named John Thomas - which by rights ought to be a perfectly innocuous name. The poor fellow had a reputation as a pub brawler. I suppose he'd be getting along fine making new acquaintances, when extending a hand they'd ask, "Oy, what's yer name, mate?" He'd tell them (proudly) and then the inevitable snickers.

By the by, I just checked there was also:
    Harry Dick (November 22, 1920 – December 1, 2002) was a Canadian professional ice hockey player who played 12 games in the National Hockey League. Born in Port Colborne, Ontario, he played with the Chicago Blackhawks ... as well as 14 fine men in the U.S. White Pages by that respectable name.

11. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Dawn DeNoon. Wonder when she gets up.

12. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Dick Parker.
    Dick Smith.
    Cache Monea.
    Marty Grau.

13. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Cache Monea is unusual, but am I missing the joke? Cash Money?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Marty Grau is unfortunate more than unusual.

Oh, but that reminds me. Once a man told me he knew a Caribbean couple named The Parsleys. They had a baby son. Know what they named him? My guess was 'Herb' which I thought very clever. I guessed wrong though. They named him ... wait for it...

Elvis. Elvis Parsley. I guess Marty Grau would be less of a cross to bear.

14. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Elvis Parsley? Man, thats rough.

15. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

I know! Sucks to be him, right?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Ima Hogg (1882-1975) was a real person. She was the daughter of Texas governor Stephen Hogg. Ima was the name of a lady in his favorite poem. There is considerable speculation that he was so dense that he didn't realize what her life would be like with that combination of names.

She was a philanthropist, one of the most beloved women in 20th-century Texas.

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

My father's only sister, my aunt, had four aunts. My grandmother, my aunt's mother, did not want to offend or slight any of them; their first names I forget (if I ever knew) but they started with letters M,R,E,& A so my aunt's first name was Erma. I'm not good at "anagrams" but some one may want to suggest a better alternative than Erma, if there is one.

Admittedly Erma is not a strange or funny name but this true story of why she was called that is sort of interesting.

My Norwegian wife gave our first daughter the first name Eli, which is a girl's name in Norway. I gave her the second name Lynn. It goes well with Eli as Eli lynn, in case she didn't like being Eli the USA. (she liked being different and used Eli alone. - Never got bothered by male sex pervert's telephone calls either.)

I was very poor before getting great job with my Ph. D. but am still conditioned to be extremely frugal (my kids say "cheap") so when the second daughter (and last) was to be named, I required that the first two names start with letters E. and L. in that order so anything with a monogram could be used by #2 when #1 out grew it. Her second name is Love, which was my step mother's last name before marrying my dad. No need for you to know her first but it does start with E.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  18. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

A friend of mine swears she knows a real person named Iona Beerwagon (spelling may vary). I'll bet she was popular growing up - but maybe less so when she couldn't live up to her name.