Unanswerable Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tom, Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Guest

image a force, this force can only go in 1 direction, it is in space and most importantly, its unstoppable .Then theres a wall its also in space, it streches for infinity, this wall cannot be moved, cannot be bent,streched,cut,broken through, teleported,destroyed, even if hell broke out and tried to suck it in!

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THEY MET??????

your comments please

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Eh?... Unstoppable vs unbreakable? Is it on WWF?
    When is it on? I gotta see this

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Yep, it's the followup to Santa Claus vs The Easter Bunny

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

Three guesses...

(and off the top of my head)

1. One will collide with the other and unexpectedly be diverted. (a miscalculation on someone's part about the properties of either. Hey, it happens all of the time.)

2. Upon impact, both will shatter.

3. Upon impact, both will instantly transform, becoming one or more of 'something else.'

(and a freebie)

4. The true gate to Nirvana will have been opened.

~~~~~

Interesting question.

Counterbalance

8. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

Annihilation of both. So paradox no long exists.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

They both exist in a multiworlds state, but only as parallels to each other, where one the force exists the wall does not.
    and vice versa.

This means they exist in the same space, but negative to each other.

They could only meet if there was a blackhole present, since thats where all the parallels would theoretically meet.

10. Tom Guest

change

if they shatter or change, the 'wall' would stop stop letting stuff in(or out) and the force would stop moving

11. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

~~~~~

Okay, let's see...

If they meet, and you say that they do, (and that they are unstoppable), then something happens.

We're talking about a tangible object and actual momentum. If not, please clarify. We might have to change our description of the wall and the force.

After the collision, they shatter or change. Unless now you wish it to be understood that the wall will "open" in some fashion and let the force pass through. Or does the force discover that it can go in more than one direction after all? Is it capable of evolution/adaptation? A change will have occurred regardless.

Even if the supposedly unstoppable/unbreakable wall and force meet and everything stops. Change will have taken place--or it will in a universe that is like what we know of ours. We may not be around any more to take note of said change, but a change occurred leading to the new Nirvana or Nothingness.

There may be other details you haven't shared yet. And if there is an actual answer to this "unanswerable question," it may just have to be tossed into the category of "unknown"until further information is made available.

But if that's the case, (if the answer can never be known), why bother asking?

~~~~~~~

It's still an interesting question unless the only purpose for asking is to see how many folks crash against the wall of "unknown."

(I kinda liked the doorway to Nirvana idea!)

Counterbalance

12. Tom Guest

why i asked

the reason i ask was because i wanted to change it from a un-answerable question to an answerable one, and to do this i need help from you guys... so keep bringing them in and we can prove everyone wrong...

common...bring it on....

13. atomka Registered Member

unstoppable force

In my opinion, it is not a wall But, rather explaining a spherical universe. This hypothetical wall is just the beginnig (and end) of the universe. So, when this force comes in contact with the wall, it simply turns around, or goes through; starting its journey once again.

14. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Re: Three guesses...

1, 2, 3 are in conflict with the nature of the question. If any of these things were to happen it would only prove the question was incorrectly asked.

The moving force then? Where did it originate? And the wall? If it´s infinite in length wouldn´t it take up all of space? Meaning the travelling force must be located within it.

Yes, there is a paradox. But the paradox is in the words. Infinite, unstoppable, unbreakable. These descriptions have too vast a meaning.

How many thoughts can you think in one hour?
    Paper or Paperclips, which is smarter?
    Brown, how heavy?
    Smurf, menace to society?

The gateway to Nirvana is always open. It has a exit-sign above.
    I´m pointing at the sign right now

15. Risky Registered Member

hmmmph

kind of like trying to prove the existence of a god.

16. fatty Registered Member

my take on this

1. nothing will happen because they are both extremes like 'good and evil', there is no compromise

2. there'll be dent and a crack. like 'black and white' another extreme (light), the result will be grey. there is a compromise.

3.if 2 forces met and there is no-one there to witness it, was there a collision at all?

17. Benji Registered Senior Member

Its the how long is this pice of string question, there's not enough information to give a correct answer, as such any guess is as good as another so anything you say about it has the same chance of being right.
    The question was asked wrong as TOM said
    If the wall is infinate then the force already exsits inside the wall, as does everything in the known universe, as such the force travels through the wall all the time irrelivent of its state and cannot be stopped moved or removed by the wall.

18. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Ze(r/n)o ?

the answer is "Time would stop"
    It is in my opinion a special case of Zeno's (or Xeno's) paradox.

If not: the subject title of the thread is correct: "Unanswerable Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

19. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Nowhere in the original thread does anything describe the state of the atoms that make up the immovable object and the unstoppable force. If they are aligned properly you will hear a "beeeeyoop!" as the unstoppable force passes right through the immovable object.

In any case, a) the object does not move, and b) the force does not stop. Given these two properties, we can still expect the aforementioned result regardless of how the atoms are aligned.

20. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Not only can they not coexist, but neither can exist separately either, yet in order for one to exist, the other must exist. Paradox.
    In order for an immovable object to exist, there must be an absolute reference frame, or nothing would be able to move. If we assume that the object itself is the absolute reference frame then an unstoppable force applied to it would have no effect. It doesn't make sense.

21. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

When infinite momentum meets infinite inertia nothing much will happen, except for some thermal expression.

22. Ana Registered Senior Member

at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid...

um, well, like, um....wouldn't they never REALLY meet....I mean, it's like (popping gum) wouldn't this force just keep going there half the distance and so on....and never really collide with the wall?

23. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Not this again!
    There's an ancient riddle posed by Greek philosophers or someone about a man running a race. If he runs half the distance, and then half the distance again, and so on, does he ever cross the finish line?

The thing is you can't keep going half the distance. Eventually the minimum distance you can go is more than half the distance. Everything is quantized. The minimum amount of time is the Plank time, and the minimum distance is the Plank distance. Eventually you would be at the Plank distance and would be unable to mover a smaller distance further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.