uknown heroes?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by JetPilot, Jan 4, 2008.

1. JetPilot Registered Senior Member

not necessarily unknown, but for what they've done, they need more recognition...

Norman Borlaug - credited with saving over a billion people by inventing methods of larger food production in poor countries.

Stanislav Petrov - prevented a nuclear war in 1983 by not believing a faulty nuclear missile radar system.

-----------
    anybody know any other ones? (please don't post Gandhi or Oprah)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Noble choices, I haven't been around long enough to remember one yet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm sure there were thousands during WWII. They helped Jews hide/escape or survive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are many that come to mind but the reason they are all unknown is because they never wanted attention brought to themselves for something they did. They were just very satisfied in doing what they could to help when they were needed. Military personnel are always finding ways to help their comrades out if they are in peril or harms way. Many times others will go above and beyond the call of duty to save others while sacrificing themselves.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

You know, I hate reagan but I think this quote summarises what many in the military feel.

"Many people go through life wondering whether they've made a difference, well I can safely say that the marines don't have that problem."

Although not the best quote, Its true, soldiers don't ask for recognition, they just do it because its their job.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As also do firemen, policemen and paramedicas.

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Crikey, I think that guy who prevented the nuclear war wins hands down....

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

William Stephenson:

Also oversaw many of Mi5/Mi6 ops during the war, including organizing ULTRA intercepts. Setup the first American top intelligence agency during WWII.

Marian Rejewski:

Cracked Enigma (basically the true device of Lightning war - not the tank)

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Hugh Thompson.

Not just for what he did, which was not on a grand scale of events, but for the way his personal heroism brought honor to his entire people and the nation he represented. Not every country, and not every people, produces soldiers who would do what he did. Sunday is the first anniversary of his death. RIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Thompson,_Jr.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  13. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Even today, this guy is consistently held up as an example for everyone in the military of what a soldier should be. What he did took a lot of guts - probably more than most people might realize.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

didn't mean to forget them, sorry. Yes, They make a difference, just by doing their jobs.