ugh, dialup

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by vslayer, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ok, now that i have moved out of my parents house i am unable to get broadband for at least 3 months(telecom refuse to connect me as their new fibreoptic phone exchange isnt backward compatible with the lines im using)

so my question is, is there any way to make my intolerably slow connection any faster without any of these stupid 'accelerator' programs that all the ISPs are handing out now that do nothing but cache everything you do online.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

my first impression was to laugh my ass off.
    on second thought i'll cry the blues with you.

about the accelerator programs caching everything you do, they aren't the only ones that do that. if you use internet explorer there are 2 different keyloggers at work namely index.dat and alexa
    alexa is pretty easy to disable, it's the index.dat that is the problem
    alexa deals solely with internet explorer but the index.dat logs practicly everything you do on your computer from the movies you watch to the games you play and even the emails you send.

but to answer your question here is a site that might give you some pointers:
    http://www.testmy.net/forum/

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Hmmm........... this is an interesting challenge.

IDEA-1:
    You will not be able to make the modem download data any faster, but you may be able to configure the browser in such a way that it doesn't download stuff that eats up a lot of bandwidth.

I wonder if it's possible to make your connection totaly minimalist for the next three months? As in- extremely minimalist rendering of web pages (barely enough to properly show tables and borders and what not) and make it into a text only kind of thing? I imagine text pages wouldn't take any time to load would it?

-You should make it so that it doesn't download any images (.gif, .jpeg, .tif, etc)
    -turn off downloading of all web gizmos (background sounds, flash animations, realplayer, quicktime player, etc)
    - turn off anything that isn't standard to the most basic of web pages (dhtml, active x, java if possible, etc)

------------------------------------------------

IDEA 2:
    Is the place that you're moving to in a highly populated area (lots of nearby apartment buildings, houses close by, college or schools close by, etc)?
    If so, Go to a store that sells cheap computer gear, and buy yourself any ol B + G wireless NIC. Once you have the NIC installed, scan for unsecured networks, and connect .......voilla-- instant free broadband!
    BTW- If you use this method, don't do anything heavy duty while you're using the unsecured network. Don't download any huge files, or do anything that puts a strain on the network (IE- p2p filesharing, or downloading linux ISOs).

9. Dravyga ... Registered Senior Member

USE Lynx web-browser. Text browse everything. It's so much faster than conventional methods for surfing web sites. For downloading files.. yea wait until you get cable or dsl.

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

1. ive fixed a bunch of fences that were earthing near the phone line and interfering with signal, so ive now upped my connection speed from 31.2k to 48k

2. screw you avatar

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

3. ive started turning off images in a lot of pages in opera, but i think it is still loading them despite not showing them.

4. there are no more than 30 houses within 10km of me, so hijacking a connection isnt an option, unless i go and beige box everyone elses lines from the exchange(which is about 500m up the road) and use all of them. but that would be a bit more illegal than i really want to get involved in right now.

5. ill try lynx and see how it goes, but i need images on some pages.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i tried lynx, but it seems to be nothing but a help manual, i cant find a place to put in website adresses.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Try pressing "g", it's the standart URL command in all text only browsers.

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ah, there we go. it still seems rather slow though, i was expecting the load time to be no more than 5 seconds, but it takes up to 20 seconds to fully load a page on sciforums, maybe its just my upload speed.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Sciforums doesn't have much images or any java scripts, flash animations, etc, most of the info here is text.
    You'll notice a considerable speed increase in websites which use images, animations, etc.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You won't be able to post, only read, however what you could try loading here at sciforums is the archive (which is actually meant to be search engine friendly by removing navigation links etc)

Http://sciforums.com/archive

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why not able to post? I've posted through E-links (another text only browser) to sciforums and other websites.

edit: oh, sorry, misunderstood
    of course, no posting from archive

19. FlannelShirtMonster Registered Member

I bet Avatar posted that just to piss off the dialup users

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

hahaha, yeh, those poor suckers...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

of course not!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.