UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

According to some of the 'penetrating logic' tossed around by skeptics brigade, it follows that homicide trials that invariably lack direct video evidence and outright confessions of guilt by the accused should be tossed out of court because in the overwhelming majority of cases it's only indirect circumstantial evidence that is available. Yet we accept without hesitation that is usually quite sufficient for a conviction verdict. Double standards much?

Magical Realist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I have challenged nothing about you except what you have posted here. What you post is a valid subject for criticism. Stop whining.

Gonna stand by your "compelling" account of the 79 year old lady who heard a story from a friend and then forgot it? Is that an exemplar of your reasoning and logic?

How's that go? "Heh heh...I can always tell when I've hit a sore spot when they start to make it personal."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Indeed. There's a double standard because the courts have low standards of evidence compared to science..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Classic faulty analogy. The differences are too extensive to list here. Dismissed.

This is what we mean by lousy logic. Does anyone here have some rational case to make?

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Which implies convictions are more or less a haphazard lottery process. I'm sure a lot of felons behind bars for life would agree. The fundamental nature of non-mundane UFO/UAP events is one of unexpected appearances of intelligently controlled whatever-they-actually-are. Something you cannot put under a microscope (leaving out alleged physical evidence) or repeat on demand.
    Hardened ideologically committed 'debunkers' are unable to get over that fact of life and deal objectively with the accumulated very strong evidence for the reality of the phenomena. June is here. Patience.

10. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Anything else you'd like to dismiss out of hand? Such an easy tactic to use. And worthless too.

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Kinda, yes - with overtones of racism, etc.
    And a lot of them have been proven innocent. DNA, for example, has elevated the standard of evidence.
    But we have no solid evidence that they are "intelligently controlled".
    Sure you can. The problem isn't that we can't look for evidence. The problem is that we can't find any. And therefore we can't draw any solid conclusions.
    a.k.a. scientists
    The fact is that no evidence --> no conclusions.
    "Intelligently controlled" is not an objective conclusion.
    The evidence we have does not permit a conclusion. There are some things we just don't know.

12. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Ha ha ha ha. Classic SF skeptics brigade response. Simply deny the existence of positive evidence. Neat. Now at 241 pages of the same looping saga. Might as well keep it up as a kind of perverse tradition. An all time longest thread ever record looms down the track. And the 'best' part - not once did a participant shift position in the slightest. There's 'productivity' for you! I'm in the mood to Quote the first line from Rudyard Kipling's famous poem 'The Ballad of East and West':
    "0h, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,".
    So very applicable when adapted to here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

A expanded version of a comment made to me

They will tell us about UFOs

They won't tell us about the ones they identified

14. river

Highlighted

Why does it Matter ?

Seriously why does it Matter ? Tell us why this matters . Not disagreeing with your thinking , just curious about what you are thinking .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  15. river

In the Last 120yrs our technology our understanding of all things has expanded Greatly . Now Imagine a being a thousand yrs ahead of US , 2000yrs , 5000yrs ... these beings don't have to be millions of yrs ahead of US , just thousands of yrs. 100,000 yrs .

Those that have a thousand to thousands of yrs of understanding everything would be Advanced , well beyond what we currently know .

And We will get there in Our Own Way . We will get to know what they know .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

And being a skeptic is a good thing, so thanks for the compliment.
    No. I don't deny the existence of "positive evidence". I said that the evidence is of poor quality. You need a higher standard of evidence before you can draw positive conclusions from it.

17. geordief Valued Senior Member

It was a joke.If analysed , a joke disappears in a ball of smoke.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”
    - E.B. White

19. geordief Valued Senior Member

Never heard of the man ,but this made me smile

"
    Most of us, out of a politeness made up of faint curiosity and profound resignation, go out to meet the smiling stranger with a gesture of surrender and a fixed grin, but White has always taken to the fire escape. He has avoided the Man in the Reception Room as he has avoided the interviewer, the photographer, the microphone, the rostrum, the literary tea, and the Stork Club. His life is his own. He is the only writer of prominence I know of who could walk through the Algonquin lobby or between the tables at Jack and Charlie's and be recognized only by his friends.

— James Thurber, E. B. W., "Credos and Curios"

"

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Neither have I. I only know the quote.

[Edit] Oh. He wrote Charlotte's Web. And Stuart Little.

[More edit] Oh! He's the 'White' in Strunk & White! He co-wrote The Elements of Style!

21. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

So opinions vary. No surprise there.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Q-reeus likes this.
  23. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Yeah - something is 'in the air' (and at times water too).

And not just a Pentagon effort now. Of course one of theirs Thomas Zurbuchen thinks it's likely just 'Nature playing tricks'. I go with super-nature as in supernatural/paranormal. Best fit by far imho.