UFO cult disappears in Columbia

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by DaveW, Jul 9, 1999.

1. DaveW Registered Senior Member

http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/20638.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aloysius Registered Senior Member

This is win-win.

If they're deluded and misguided followers of a mutant meme, evolution will have had its way with them - they won't breed.

If they really are meeting a UFO, then we all benefit from the first real proof.

Life, being mundane, will choose some soggy alternative in between, of course. They will return from the mountain pretending that something happened.

Inside their heads.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mid12am Registered Senior Member

If the world does blow up in august as this group claimed and there actually is a UFO waiting for them at least the rest of us can be happy knowing that the Aliens picked the best that us Humans had to offer..

(I am joking.. <- You have to say that cause well, some people might think I'm serious)

Can you just picture these people out there in the bush..

"Oh great and powerful leader, we Ummmm some of us are having second thoughts about this trip."

"But the Alien ship is on its way Brother, it will take us to the stars"

"But O'Great and Powerful Leader, Brother Johnson was just eaten by a snake, You told us we would be safe"

"The Aliens were using Brother Johnson as an example of what will happen if we don't believe"

"What about the insects? Does there have to be this many insects on our trip.. I'm here to see Aliens not 400 different kinds of spiders."

"The Aliens are testing us Brother Smith.."

"With Spiders?"

"Yes with spiders .. for ummm *ahem* the spiders are a metaphor symbolizing the great change that we will experience"

"Ahhh O'Great and powerful Leader, I your humble servant see the Aliens message they are telling us that the Great Change is upon us; and we are the flies caught in the web about to have our blood suc.."

"No No No Brother Smith the Aliens are telling us that the great change is like a lowly caterpillar emerging from the cocoon as a wondrous butterfly."

"Shouldn't the Alien's have then sent us Butterfly's and caterpillars instead of spiders?

"The Aliens work in mysterious ways my young follower."

"O'Great and Powerful Leader."

"Yes Brother Jones. Has the Alien ship been spotted?"

"No Sir, Sister Vatcher was just carried off and killed by a pack of wild monkeys."

"It is just another test sent by the Aliens."

"But O'Great and powerful Leader she was the one you told us would get to drive the space ship. And sir those Berries you told the Aliens placed on our path to provide us nourishment seem to be making us vomit."

"Its just the aliens purging our bodies of all evils before they take us into the greater scheme of things"

"But I'm starting to loose the feeling in my legs."

-I could go on but hey why bother..

------------------
    (Midnight@golden.net)
    (Ouch.my.head)
    (http://home.golden.net/~midnight/)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aloysius Registered Senior Member

tee hee!!!

either that, or, while they're waiting, they'll begin forging a new economy using leaves.

i bet they're all hairdressers and telephone sanitisers.

8. Mid12am Registered Senior Member

Oh oh here comes the Giant space goat!

------------------
    (Midnight@golden.net)
    (Ouch.my.head)
    (http://home.golden.net/~midnight/)

9. -=Tyco=- Registered Member

What I find even more distressing is they may not come down from the mountain and that someone may go up and find another "Heaven's Gate" tragedy.

10. DaveW Registered Senior Member

People leaving the world by their own designs is hardly tragic.

Sure, there may be some indoctrination and brainwashing involved, but that happens everywhere in society, and we don't (normally) refer to the entirety of civilization as a tragedy. (or do we?)