U.S Racial Income Divide Widens

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by D'ster, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetboy Registered Member

is condelisa rice still a beneficiary of affirmative action?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D'ster Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. D'ster Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Telling statistics, D'ster. It is a pity you copy them without understanding what that tell you.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Are caucasoid and mongoloid disparaging terms?
    All three are scientific words used in anthropology.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As I understand it, these terms are old-fashioned and outdated. Historically, they have certainly be used to promote racist ideas, even if they were not originally intended in that way.

But never mind. The term "negroid" was not used above. The term used was "'groid". And it was undoubtedly used in a racist fashion, as you can see.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I have not read any of thread, but will tell that last Saturday at lunch time in major shopping center's "food court" I had to listen to group of 5/6 year olds sing as 2nd wife's granddaughter was one of the 62 in the choir. The food court was packed - I could not hear and would not have understood even if I could. So, I estimated that there were 600 +/- 50 in the crowd (among other mental things done to keep my sanity.)

As old civil rights worker, I could not help but notice not one of the 62 in this private school choir was black* and in the crowd I saw only two blacks. It is true that Brazil has solved the problem of social race relations. - If you notice the people on the subway (free to us over 65, so I use it a lot) as many interracial couples are there and no one even notices, but this was a fancy (read that as expensive) shopping center and I have not seen as effective "upper class" racial economic segregation in US as here in Brazil, except on the northbound Marta of Atlanta in the early hours when the maids are going out to where my daughter (a certified BMW owing yuppie, with big income, etc) lives. (The overnight airplane from Brazil arrives at 6AM sometimes during the year and if there is a white person on the Marta, they are like me, with luggage and just leaving the airport.)
    ----------------------------------------
    * A large part, probably half if one uses the old "octoroon" criteria of Brazil's population is black, but there has been so much "miscegenation" that there is no dividing line.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I still say "mongoloid" but then I still say "icebox," however, I know the correct term for first, used in the literature for at least 25 years is "Down's Syndrome" and for the second, correct term is “refrigerator.” (I am old - what is your excuse?)

12. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Blacks report the highest rates of work disability.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Please tell me how "'groid" is any more "racist" than "whites" or "blacks", which are both more dehumanising than "negroid", and you don't even bat an eyelid at their use.

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Let me guess - it's the white man's fault?

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Is that corrected for difference in typical jobs? I.e. do black office workers have higher disability rates? Or White ditch diggers lower ones?

16. Roman Banned Banned

That unemployment rate is 30 years outdated. If you know anything about the economic and social issues of the time you see black unemployment rise, you'll see they coincide with a period of crippling racism and their blue collar jobs (about all a black person, educated or not, could get at the time) were being lost to cheaper, overseas markets.

17. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Since the era of Civil Rights some five decades back, African-American men have suffered a serious decline in labor force attachment and participation.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Probably also true, but again I ask:

Is that corrected for things like education? I.e. Is the unemployment rate of white who quit school at legally permited age (many states still I think) of 16, after repeating two grades any different from similar black? Both must now find it hard to find a job, such as ditch digging, they are qualified to do.

19. Roman Banned Banned

You have a graph of African American males, ages 16 to 17.

20. Roman Banned Banned

You have a graph of unemployed African American males, ages 16 to 17, 34 years out of date.

21. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Employment rates among black male teens and young adults ages 16 to 19 have dropped considerably over the past 50 years, the study found. In 1954, a slight majority -- 52 percent -- of black male teens worked, a rate slightly in excess of their white peers. By 2003, however, only one of five black male teens was employed in a typical month – just 20 percent -- only half the employment rate of white male teens. Among 20 to 24 year old black males, employment rates also have declined considerably from their peak values of 77 to 83 percent in the mid to late 1960s to dramatic 50-year lows more recently. During 2003, for example, just 56 percent of such young black men ages 20 to 24 was employed.

Among older black men, the same dramatic declines were noted over time, according to the report. While the employment rates of black men rise from their late teens through their mid 30s, high levels of joblessness prevail among these men into their late 20s (30 percent of 25 to 29 year old black men were jobless in 2003, for example), then rise sharply as they reach their mid-50s. One of the most disturbing findings was the high share of black males ages 20 to 64 that were jobless year-round. In 2002, one of every four black men in this age group – a full quarter of the entire
    population within this wide age range -- was idle all year-round, up from 20 percent in the peak labor market year of 2002.

The report’s key findings also include:
    Among the nation’s black teens, fewer than 20 percent, age 16 to 19, were employed during 2003, an employment rate just half that of white teens;

Among 20 to 24 year old black men, employment rates averaged just 57 percent during the past three years, compared with an average of 80 percent employment in the late 1960s. The E/P (employment to population) ratio of young black men in 2003 lagged well behind the white male employment rate by nearly 20 percentage points;

In 2002, a full quarter of African-American men ages 20 to 64 were not employed at any point during the year. The year-round joblessness rate for black adult males in 2002 was twice as high as that of white and Hispanic males;

The year-round idleness rate for black men varies by age, educational attainment, and geographic location. Idleness rates in 2002 ranged from a low of 18 percent for those ages 35 to 44 to a high of nearly 42 percent for those 55 to 64. Forty-four percent of black men with no high school diploma were idle year-round versus 26 percent of high school graduates and only 13 percent of those with a bachelor’s or higher degree.

http://www.nupr.neu.edu/7-04/unemployment.shtml

22. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Well, his dubious statistics are still better than your mathematics.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I looked at his source and think "dubious" may be a little too strong as they seem to be "gross"
    facts, but not telling anything in detail as there is no indication of any correcting for education, etc.

Even as a "gross" statistics I have some doubts. For example, despite being a minority, blacks are a majority in the prisons, at least most, but perhaps not the prison Martha Stewart was a "guest in." Were the blacks in prisons, busily washing towels in the laundry, or stamping out license plates, etc. counted in the "employed group"?

Another observation I can not resist making:

All humanity came "Out of Africa", according to theory so well established that it is now a "fact." In many of the cultures there, the men do little work - they are stronger - why should they? The women tend the fire, gather the wood, till the fields, if the tribe does that. Young girls go for the water, etc.

Western world men, especially white ones, now work at least 40 hours/week, often at jobs they hate (Recall song - "take this job and shove it," etc.) The higher social economic class white men rarely work only 40 hours per week. Some of the “blackberry toting” types average more than 18 hours per day!

My question is:

How did black men get so smart and white men so dumb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.