Types of Mountains

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by kingwinner, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Do you mean to group me in this category? If so, I am far from offended by the association. However, I do object to this:

Yes, I am trained in geology. I am not a "Sciforum fanatic", though I do find it an exceptionally effective work avoidance strategy right now. I am far from jealous of you.

If your post did not refer to me, then please ignore it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valich Registered Senior Member

Laika, I respect your posts and am very happy to read your intelligent comments: they are scientific, logical, and well-worded. Rest assured, I am not referring to you.

Invert_Nexus, Ophiolite, and (occasionally - but not very often) Spurious actually "stalk" me throughout sciforum threads and then post vulgar, condemning, belittling, condescending posts. There is no place for this type of obnoxious distracting behavior in the advancement of science - nline or off. In fact, Invert just posted another reply on another thread trying to justify the use of vulgarity in scientific forums. Throughout my thirty year academic career I have never heard of or been subjected to this type of abuse and vulgarity. This is amusing to say the least. But in no way are you part of their belligerent postings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Get real. I have better things to do with my time than follow you around. However, each time I see your self righteous drivel I shall attack it.

I am pleased to note that you understood my posts to be vulgar, condemning, belittling, condescending . At least you are getting the message. I shall be happy (you can't begin to realise how happy) to post positive, affirming, embracing posts in response to yours, when you conduct yourself in a manner that demonstrates you do indeed have a thirty year academic career, and not merely a one year academic career repeated thirty times.

By the way, a simple statistical analysis of the timing of your posts, my posts and Invert Nexus's posts, reveals that you are the stalker. Interesting that you chose to make the accusation before one of us pointed that out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

Stop stalking me. Stop wasting mine and other people's time who sincerely are trying to learn by posting useless nonsense, like the above post, and PLEASE GET A LIFE!

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I have reported you for your false accusation of stalking. Please do not repeat it.

9. valich Registered Senior Member

I can prove that you are stalking me on these posts just like you are doing again right now and just like you did to me again two minutes ago on the thread "Volcano Experts." You gave an unsolicited degrading responce: that's called stalking. Stop stalking me and get a life. I've also reported you to the administrator and if you don't stop harassing and stalking me I'll get a court order for the adminstrator to give me your email address and real name and take you to court! The administrator has already posted a thread that user's reframe from using vul;garity and stop degrading and belittling people on the forums. Evidently his post is falling on deaf ears. Stop stalking me by posting a rude, vulgar, irrelevant, and belittling reply everytime I post!

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Fuck off vallich. If I was stalking you I would be pursuing you in every thread in which you post. A cursory examination of these fora will reveal that there are several threads in which I leave it to others to counter your noxious drivel.
    In those threads in which I have an interest I shall continue to berate and condemn you for as long as I draw breath, or until you clean up your act. Learn to live with it or get the hell out of here.
    Oh, you could just use the ignore button - so much cheaper than lawyers. But if that's the route you want to go down, let me know. I'll show you mine, if you show me yours. I can't wait till we get to the part where the character witnesses are called. That should be a hoot.

11. valich Registered Senior Member

Now this is a unique form of mountain building just reported on CNN caused by radiation and wind that caused mountains to be formed on newly created stars:

"Radiation and winds from these massive stars forced material outward, leaving the dense pillar-shaped clumps. Many astronomers think our Sun was formed in a similar setup, then later migrated away from the clump."
    "Telescope sees 'Mountains of Creation," by Robert Roy Britt, Nov. 9, 2005. http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/11/09/dust.clouds/index.html

12. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Here's another way to form mountains, valich--you take the moon of one of the larger worlds, you cool it down (as it does when it loses radioactive heat) and you end up with a range of mountains where the tidal effect of the parent planet has been frozen into the icy crust.

Of course, these mountains would be racked by earthquakes all the time because of the ongoing interaction with the parent world. Also, they'd be moving up and down on a sort of slushy under-ice layer, because the entire body of the moon would still be flexed and heated by tidal effects during each rotation.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Staying with your extraterrestrial origins, Xylene, just consider the mountains generated by impact on any of the terrestrial worlds.

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I know--I've seen Gosse's Bluff in Australia--it's rather humbling to think of the power involved, and that it happened in a fraction of a second.