two questions

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by eddymrsci, Oct 26, 2004.

1. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

I just noticed, where has the search engine gone?

and second question really does not have anything to do with the first, it's just out of curiosity, but who first founded this site?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Our man Porfiry is the site founder.

As to the search engine ... even though it was powered by Google, I still got better results from opening a new tab and using my browser's Google line. Can't say that has anything to do with it, but maybe.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Umm..I still see the search engine on the bottom.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

oh there it is, thanks for pointing that out.

and another thing, apparently porfiry's joined date was in 2001, yet many others joined in 1999 (possibly the earliest). shouldn't the founder have the ealiest joined dates, or is it just me?

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Eddymrsci

Porfiry is a new handle he chose after a major overhaul of the site at that time.

Sarge

Shows how much I looked, eh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The funny part is I wasn't even being sarcastic with the inclusion of the "umm"...I just really thought my browser was messing up for good.

You never noticed the search engine has been movied down there! It has been a while too.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

What's this overhaul of which ya speak?

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The search tool for this site is on every thread: says right there "seach thread"->"advanced search" = seach the site. Or look at the menu bar for every sub-forum you will find it there as well!

If that is to hard for you just book mark this:
    http://sciforums.com/search.php?

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The old search box that was on the upper part of the screen used the forum's search engine. Now, if you want to use it you have to use the advanced search tool. The search box in the bottom of the screen is the google search tool. It was there for a long time while the forum's search was still at the top. So, either few people use the forum search or Porfiry is trying to discourage it's use. Probably the latter. I imagine that more people searched with it than the google one at the bottom. I'm betting that he's trying to cut bandwidth or something by making it more inaccessible. Could be wrong.