Two dead in Oslo bombing

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Jul 22, 2011.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

BBC has pictures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-14254095

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

One guy apparently. Neo-Nazi nutjob.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Yes, that was just reported here as well. The gunman at least, who also placed bombs on the island with the political camp run by the Government's Labor Party (the target of the bomb), is apparently a right wing neo-nazi type.

Those kids on that island. The bastard who did this.. And then to apparently shoot them as they tried to swim for the mainland..

Police said Friday evening that they've linked the youth camp shooting and Oslo bombing. Breivik is believed to have acted alone.

Norwegian TV2 reports that Breivik belongs to "ring-wing circles" in Oslo. Swedish news site Expressen adds that he has been known to write to right-wing forums in Norway, is a self-described nationalist and has also written a number of posts critical of Islam.

A Twitter account for Breivik has surfaced, though it only has one post, this quote from philosopher John Stuart Mill: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100 000 who have only interests." The tweet was posted on July 17.

[Source]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

The deathtoll at the shootings has apparently hit 80 and may rise. Last I heard on the news earlier, they were searching the water around the island for bodies as many of the children tried to flee by swimming away and were shot as they swam.

At least 80 people died when a gunman opened fire at an island youth camp in Norway, hours after a bomb attack on the capital, Oslo, police say.

Oslo police are questioning a 32-year-old Norwegian man in connection with both attacks.

The man was arrested on tiny Utoeya island outside Oslo, where police say he opened fire on teenagers.

The earlier bomb attack killed at least seven people. The attacks are the worst Norway has seen since World War II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

8. RedRabbit Registered Senior Member

I thought this might not be something you might want to stumble upon, so I've put it in a spoiler. It's pretty disturbing. Be warned.

Just heard one of the children say he asked some of the kids to help him carry a box to one of the cabins, called another group of children over to him then opened the box took out a gun and started executing them.

Reporting on TV here that the final death toll is likely to be over 100.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

People have a hard time dealing with the fact that the world IS going to become more multicultural. Whether these mutton heads like it or not, it's happening and going to continue happening. Someday we won't have boarders or at least not "nations".

Racists, monotheists and other intolerant ideologies are going to have a hard time coping with it, but, that's just tough titty. Expect more of this sort of thing happening as we move forward.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Sick bastard gunned down a bunch of innocent kids.

He deserves a very slow, humiliating and painful death.

Wonder if I can get a couple of weeks off work?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Gustav Banned Banned

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Some of the things obvious from the OP - the attack was aimed at government buildings chiefly the Norwegian Labour Party which is both pro-immigrant and liberal and not anti-Muslim [as evinced by their lack of anti-Islam rhetoric]. The Prime Minister's building bore the brunt of the bombing which points to a right wing extremist at work.

Second, the miscreant apparently went on a shooting spree in a nearby youth camp which it turns out, is run by the Labour Party's youth wing.

Death tolls in which the shooting of young people at the camp is predominant, currently run to 80 dead [source]

13. Bells Staff Member

I wonder what explanation he is going to give for himself..

14. Bells Staff Member

I wonder if he used the bomb as a distraction and a way to attack the Government directly before he went and attacked the children and youth at that camp. Knowing the police and all emergency services would have been tied up with the bombs he detonated, he would have had free reign going after those kids for a fairly long period of time.

He had time to not only go around the island shooting everyone he saw, but also had time to stand on the shore and shoot at the children and the teenagers who tried to swim to safety. It is absolutely horrific.

21 years? Surely not? I would imagine he would also be charged with the murders of all he killed, which would hopefully see him rot and die in prison.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Holy crap...they death toll seriously went up while I was sleeping. They just said on the the news that the maximum penalty he can receive is 21 years...is that true?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yup, I think the cops in Norway kept it under wraps until they could inform the family members of the 600 young people who were taking part in the youth program.

With so many kids, it must have taken time to sort out the 80 killed and also make sure the rest were all accounted for.

17. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Not to downplay the casualty numbers, but the more shocking thing to me was hearing about the maximum 21 years. Assuming that's specifically for the crime of murder, do they not add on for each individual? Why would there not be lifetime sentences for exceptional crimes?

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Planned murder

is a murder committed with the intention of taking the life of another, by a person fully sane and aware of what he or she is doing, and having planned the act of murder ahead. Planned murder is punished with up to 21 years of imprisonment. Under special circumstances, like a murder of severe cruelty, or if there is reason to believe the offender may commit murder again, additional years of imprisonment can be given.[1] This usually takes place at a court hearing near the end of the sentence.

First Degree Murder

is a murder committed with the intention of taking the life of another or knowing that death will be the most likely outcome of an action, by a person fully sane and aware of what he or she is doing, without the act of murder having been planned ahead. Murder of passion usually falls into this category. Intentional murder is punished by 6 to 12 years of imprisonment.[2]

Second Degree Murder

is defined as a case where someone has been killed as a result of the offenders neglect. For example, a car driver may be convicted for murder if someone is killed as a result of his or her careless driving. Murder as a result of neglect is punishable by 3 to 6 years, depending on the circumstances.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DNEKtj0HVelPmrdhg&sig2=0_-KekHw1iWm8zUM5PIseg

19. superstring01 Moderator

Once again, one of the heirs to the disparate Abrahamic faiths have shown their true colors.

Religion. Poisons. EVERYTHING.

~String

20. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Yeah he was deadly efficient, it was the police outfit that and the fact that his young victims were trapped on an island. The whole country is in shock.
    I can't quite get my head around his motive he accused the labor party and in particular Gro Harlem Brundtland of being killers of the country presumably for allowing immigration but I don't see how murdering 100 people makes anything better. He has been described as a right wing xian fundamentalist, just insane I think. Under current law 21 years is the max you can get, who knows maybe this loss of innocence will change that as well

21. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Because they have operated under the philisophical ideal that past a certain point punishment misses the point. Reform is the idea and you can't reform someone if there is no carrot at the end of the stick. Security is also traditionally lax here (hasn't been a real need before) That and max sentencing may well change because of this, we'll see.

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

He was a freemason. FREEMASONS DID IT!

Doesn't anyone use the word CRAZY anymore...he's just crazy. That is all.

He kills a bunch of politicians (white) kids because he doesn't like muslims(browns) coming into his country. That doesn't even make sense to me. He is simply fucked in the head. It happens.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Cleanup Notes

Mod Hat — Cleanup notes

Twenty-eight posts struck. Three edited for scrub. That's the damage, folks. Sixty percent of this thread was dedicated to a side issue. I hold those who sought such an outcome responsible.

That some people would exploit a tragedy like this in order to fuel their bigoted obsession with a member of this community is disgusting. The yellow flags I've thrown in this mess are understatements. Such stupidity and hatred has no place in this community.