Twinkee: Can Survive Nuclear Holocaust, but not Union

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Nov 16, 2012.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The latest bit of bad news to hit since Obama's re-election: Hostess is going out of business. No more Twinkees. No more Ding dongs. No more wonder bread. Why? The Union.

What are these union idiots thinking? It's better that the company go out of business and you have no job than take a pay cut? Seriously? This is the seventies all over again and we've just re-elected Jimmy Carter. Prepare for more bad news.....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

The company only wants to make the people who run the company very rich and forget about the workers who made them rich along the way. Then when some people organize, because the company didn't want to listen to the workers about their low incomes, the company blames the unions for what the company caused to begin with. Their are many non union companies who actually listen to what their employees are saying and give themn a better paycheck for the work they do. But other companies would rather go bankrupt rather than give in to what the workers want, but not unions, and help them out.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Twinkies haven't been on our shopping list since I was out of school, but I am definitely going to buy some for old times sake if I see them on the shelves before they are scoffed up. As for unions, they play an important role, but in this case they seem to have stepped in it, lol. As for a business forgetting about their workers, that is just not making sense to me if operating at a loss is the only way that the workers will feel listened to. You don't understand capitalism, business, or simple employer/employee relations. But fine, just go on supporting the bringing down the employers and don't ask where the jobs have gone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I haven't had a Twinkee in a while either, but we're planning to hit the hostess store as soon as my kids gets home from school to stock up for old times sake.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

And these workers do not want the jobs for the price that they are offering to pay them. That's their right, too.

But when you refuse to come to work, and you get fired as a result, it's your own damn fault.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, Buddha, but that sounds like too much assumption on your part. At this point, we have NO idea what their current wages were nor any idea what the union demands were. In my nearly 70 years I've watched unions go both ways - reasonable demands and UNreasonable ones.

I'd rather wait for - or find - more information before proclaiming just who the bad actors are.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

http://www.goiam.org/index.php/imai...-ceo-falsely-blames-bakery-closures-on-strike
    (Bolding mine)

And these pricks (the execs, of course) honestly expect them to take a pay cut?!

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah I am sure if Romney were elected, he would have saved Twinkies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This doesn't mean the brand is dead. Someone could buy the brand. And I am sure someone will be making more bakery products to fill the void. Lacking a magic wand, they will need workers and equipment.

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

... says the functionally illiterate goon.

13. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Are you saying we shouldn't be preparing for more bad news? There are employers who are giving up the fight against the new rules, new taxes, and new push for the workers to claim disadvantage because they are not getting the benefits of ownership. I thought that providing jobs, working with unions along the way, and remaining in business as long as profits make it make sense was the way business was supposed to work.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not sure what the hell this has to do with Obama. I see corporate sociopaths sabotaging a successful brand.

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Read my post #7--how exactly are they "not getting the benefits of ownership"?

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Read my post #7--how exactly are they "not getting the benefits of ownership"?

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

The brand isn't what it used to be. There has been more and more competition, new manufacturing techniques, dietary and health issues around sugary snacks; the world has and is changing, and a very successful brand of the past will always lose ground to the competition over time. But corporate profits are mandatory to staying in business, and the unions know that. This is a case of brinksmanship which went bad.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The problems with Hostess Brands are not new. They were last in bankruptcy in 2004. Gee, I wonder, who was president then?

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

There's a phenomena out there called "Obama Derangement Syndrome." It causes elevated blood pressure, increases in speech volume, anger and Tourette's-like interjection of profanity into ordinary speech, and it can be brought about in conservatives by discussion of Obama. In later stages of the disease, the patient begins to inject Obama into topics that have nothing to do with the president. One of the signs of this disease is a compulsion to blame Obama for everything, from Twinkie-worker strikes to hurricanes to terrorism.

20. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Are you sure its not the Obama supporters making up a phenomena called "Obama Derangement Syndrome", and then applying to anything that would be supported by a conservative perspective?

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Where is the support?

22. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

What?

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Pretty sure. Once you've seen a case of ODS it's hard to mistake it for anything else. Heck, there are people out there killing themselves over Obama's re-election. That, of course, is a very, very severe case.