twin paradox variant

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by eram, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes Only Me, I noticed.
    The question is not what they see.
    The verb to see was used, perhaps inappropriately, to refer to their own reference frame.
    What one twin "sees" is what happening according to the reference frame of that twin.
    But why in the reference frame of one of the twin, its own displacement is divided into two unequal parts and only one of which is stationary?
    Are not there three reference frames, each stationary in turn, where are analyzed the other two reference frames ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

In the twin stayed at home reference frame all the action takes 10 years.
    In the twin who travels reference frame all the action takes 8 years.
    Who stays at home thinks they are both 10 years older, who travels thinks they are both 8 years older.
    When they meet they realize that one is 10 years older and the other only 8 years older.
    How is that possible? Here comes the SR time dilation.

The paradox occurs when there is no a preference which is at rest and which is the one that travels.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

The paradox occurs when they do not know which one is traveling. Both twins think they are not moving and the other is, which leads them to believe that the other is time dilated. When the traveler returns home and they compare their clocks, they both do a head slap and say, "Oh, I get it now! They then know who was traveling and who was not. The clocks tell the story.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tach Banned Banned

True.

False.

Nope, not time dilation.

false. You managed to get most of the stuff wrong.

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

You got me, you're right.
    Because both think the same.
    I am the 10 years older, because I am the stationary and the other is the 8 years older because he is traveling.

When they meet, both will be 10 years older and there will be no time dilation.

9. Tach Banned Banned

Nope, you can't get this straight. Don't worry, you will never manage.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

Way to encourage a person. Was that really called for?

Here's a hint:

No, it wasn't.

11. Tach Banned Banned

If you knew Emil, you would have understood why, this is not an issue of "encouragement". He spent all his time on this forum claiming that relativity is "incorrect". No amount of scientific argument will dissuade him. Ever.

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

Ok, you got me, too now. Somehow, my brain read Eram instead of Emil. Oops.
    Yes, Emil and I have had our run ins until I insulted him (Which, admittedly, I shouldn't have).
    I haven't paid much attention to Emil's posts lately so I have no idea where he stands these days.

13. Emil Valued Senior Member

Acknowledged and appreciated.

14. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Go back to post 39 which shows all three reference frames. Diagram 2 is from the outbound frame of space twin 1 and the inbound leg of space twin 2. Diagram 3 is the out bound leg of space twin 2 and the inbound leg of Space twin 1. If want to follow space twin 1 from start to finish you start with diagram 2 and follow the lighter blue line. Once you reach the second leg you have to switch to Diagram # and trace the cyan line.

You can't draw a single S-T diagram that is from the reference frame of either space twin that encompasses their whole trip because S-T diagrams only show things from the perspective of one inertial frame, and there are two inertial frames in the space twin's round trip.

15. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I tried to go to post #39, but I landed on a post with no diagrams:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?119912-twin-paradox-variant&p=2997830&viewfull=1#post2997830

Maybe the new Sciforums interface has a bug?

16. Janus58 Valued Senior Member