twin paradox variant

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by eram, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Emil Valued Senior Member

And what it means negative time and negative distance ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I think that by using one of the travelling triplet's in/outbound legs in the 2nd diagram, the 2nd diagram is just a transformation of the 1st diagram, so it would give the same result as the 1st diagram.

However, so far you're the first and only person to use diagrams to explain stuff. So props for that.

Gimme some time, I'll use a set of diagrams to explain #81.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Why not?

I went to the toilet -2 hours ago. I'll go again at +3 hours. My bed is at the -10m mark, my toilet at the +5m mark.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Farsight

There is no such thing as a negative distance, eram. A negative displacement is fine, but not a negative distance. You can define an origin at your current location and say that your bed is at a displacement of -10m from it on the x axis. But your bed is still 10m distant from you. Time is similar. Ask me how long it's going to take to do a task, and if my answer is minus two hours, it doesn't make any sense.

8. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

of course that doesn't make sense. but there is negative energy, and some have postulated negative pressure.

that's not what the diagram represents. the diagram just assigns arbitrary negative values.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Really? What exactly is negative energy?

10. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

More commonly used is "work done against". Like gravitational potential energy.

The +/- signs in work done represent different processes, but in vectors they represent arbitrary opposite directions, and in time they represent "before and after".
    Also, negative energy states.

11. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

OK. But "distance" is defined in such a way as to be 0 or greater. So you will have to explain what your new definition of "distance" is and why we should use it.

12. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Hmmm I replied to one guy and got comments from 3 others.

So you think I'm expecting you to use this new definition of distance if I explain it well? :cheers:

Anyway, I don't have a new definition of distance. I'm just saying that displacement can be negative.

13. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

And this means that you are using a new definition of distance. Please provide it.

14. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

+/- just means up/down or down/up, left/right, forward/backward

its freakin old, nothing new about it.

15. Farsight

There isn't any such thing as negative energy. There's binding energy which is said to be negative energy, but what lies beneath is just less positive energy. Negative pressure, or more properly negative stress, is tension.

16. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Well this thread got de-railed pretty fast. Not gonna discuss the above, it sounds like you're already too confused.

17. Neverfly Banned Banned

Eram, there is distance, but not "negative" distance. The term suggests a kind of distance that doesn't exist. Some kind of "measure of distance" that would pop out of our universe or something.

I understand what you're thinking. That if you take ten paces forward, then two paces back, that there was a distance of Negative two. But this isn't the case in physics- there would be ten paces and two paces, all positive numbers, just different vectors.
    Consider, is there "negative acceleration?"
    Consider the term "work" in physics and how the term work is used in daily life.

18. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Hmm, why are we focusing on such a trivial matter? I was telling Emil that where you place the origin in a graph is just arbitrary.

Ofc there is no such thing as negative distance.

19. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes, displacement (position) and time can be negative, but requires a correct and well defined origin.
    In the context of speed (not velocity), distance and time is not possible to be negative.

What is impossible is the red line in the first "diagram", if the horizontal axis is time.

20. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

velocity is the gradient. Doesnt matter if displacement and time are negative.
    The red line represents Nick's frame.

If you ve got any other queries ask janus.

21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

As I said, the vertical axis is time.
    The horizontal axis is displacement.

22. Emil Valued Senior Member

All this diagram is a mess.
    Same vertical coordinate (you say it's time), though with different values of time.
    Constant displacement, only for a period of time.
    Travel away time and travel back time must be equal.

23. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Emil, that is what I had been saying.., however, Janus58 pointed out I had not been accounting for the time of light delay that the stationary twin experiences.

The stationary twin, looking through a telescope, continues to see the traveling twin moving away, after the turn around. By the time the stationary twin sees the turn around happen, the traveler is already part way home... So the stationary twin "sees" the traveler travel away for longer than he/she "sees" the traveler return. The stationary twin does see the traveler redshifted for longer than blue shifted... While the traveler sees the redshifted and blue shifted legs as equal.

The diagram is correct.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012