Troy Hurtubise's fire paste

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Facial, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Does Diet Coke have lithium in it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Facial Valued Senior Member

I don't think so, or at least substantial amounts of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

EXCELLENT FIND, tristan!

8. Don't know of any interest to you, but this firepaste stuff sounds somewhat similar to a substance developed by British amateur inventor a good decade or more ago, a fellow called Maurice Ward, the stuff he came up with he called Starlite.

I remember the stuff only because it was featured on a show we used to have over here called Tomorrows World - they started the show with a raw egg coated in the stuff set up in front of a blow torch and 25 minutes later, at the end of the show, this Ward chap turned off the blow torch, picked up the egg bare handed and proceeded to crack the still completely raw contents into a bowl - wasn't a trick either, TW had a good reputation back in the day for genuine popular science coverage and it was a live show.

Last time I recall seeing the stuff mentioned was in the Times, apparently NASA had been running tests on limited samples of the stuff seeming to suggest Starlite demonstrated super-thermal conductivity - apparently, according to the report, it stood up to the equivalent thermal output of that a medium yield nuclear bomb.

However, after that the stuff seemed to disappear completely - emerging several years later in a failed business venture using the stuff as a fire retardant which, given the initial glowing reports concerning the stuff seemed something of a comedown for something so universally useful...

Nevertheless, in the intervening time and quite despite any commercial success regarding the substance, Mr Ward went from a retired wig maker to a gentleman of leisure indulging in his own private passion for, I believe, trap racing. Seems to have picked up a few quid from somewhere, but where and how I haven't a clue.

Anyway, if you Google off Maurice Ward + Starlite y'should pick up some background and, as I say, its a remarkably similar sounding story.

9. it2hughes Registered Member

Firepaste Video Link

Removed, saw that the link was already posted

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Carbon nanotubes work better.

11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Clay, Carbon dust from burnt wood, and Vaseline.

I have no idea.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Heh! Except for one tiny little problem - carbon nanotubes burn. Fiercely, too!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why would they do that? Pure carbon is about as stable as you can get. They are created in a furnace.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep, but pure carbon also oxides very well, especially in high heat. Even diamonds are easy to burn.

15. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

What gases does the carbon release when it oxidizes?

If any?

Read Only your awesome. Your like a walking encyclopedia.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  16. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I cant imagine a diamond burning but I can imagine it exploding apart.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Plain old carbon dioxide.

Heh - thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've spent a lifetime learning and not about to stop, it's too much fun to quit!

18. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Of course why didn't I think of that.

Thanks man.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, won't explode because it contains no gasses to expand. Pretty solid, dense stuff. They burn with an almost pure whie flame tinged just a bit with pale blue. We burned one in organic chemistry class in college. It was a pretty small industrial thing, possibly 1/4 carat. Couldn't get it started with an ordinary old bunsen burner - couldn't concentrate the flame enough, so we borrowed an oxy/acetelyne torch from the trade school dept.

20. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Ah.

Makes sense.

21. NEXUSintruderprogram Registered Member

from what i have read this stuffs heat retardant capabilities are far exceedent of nasa's current ceramics a thin spreading will prevent burning to the face even beyond the temperature of a shuttle re-entry

a genius this guy the specs for the trojan armor suit are very impressive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.