Triumph of architecture, or pain in the ....?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Tiassa, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What do you see?

Start with this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

China Central Television building (left), designed by Rem Koolhaas
    (image via Slog)

And then click on the picture or this link. Either works.

From the latter—and quoted at the former:

I admit the building appears to be something of an architectural feat, but whether or not it's a triumph is a separate question that I cannot, at this time, answer. Still, though, I find it hilarious that "knowledge window" and "hemorrhoids" are homophonic in Chinese. How the hell does that work?

Oh, right. That's linguistics. Anyway, you want a corner office? Or maybe something in the lower floors? Or, maybe, how about a different building altogether? I have a mild fear of heights, even when I'm caged in and can't fall off the edge. Still, I think I'd probably find working in the connecting section somewhat unnerving.

Notes:

Chow, Elaine. "China's CCTV Headquarters Trying to Shake 'Hemorrhoids' Nickname". Gizmodo. December 3, 2008. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/12/c...s_trying_to_shake_hemorrhoids_nickname-2.html

See Also:

Mudede, Charles. "The Building of Hemorrhoids". Slog. December 4, 2008. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2008/12/04/the_building_of_hemorrhoids

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I don't see that at all. I think it's a really cool looking building. The hole in it should also make it harder for terrorists to fly planes into.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually roman it would probably be easier (if china actually HAD that problem). If im right on how its designed it requires both buildings to be "falling" into each other to hold it up. This means if you structually weaken one building they BOTH come down. Hit it from the inward facing side so the explosion forces one out and its game over for both

Potentually dangerious type of design if you get earthquakes

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is just another example of the monstrosities created all over the planet by "starchitects". These buildings fail to relate to the culture of the nation, the style common in the neighborhood, or the victims destined to inhabit their cold concrete and glass boxes.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Even having been an architect most of my life, I have to agree with you, Spider. Many of those "monstrosities" have received awards from other architects, but are often far, far from the realm of "real" architecture.

Baron Max

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not so sure. I think this building may very well relate to the "new" culture of China.

It's innovative and interesting.

I think that some people think anything new is bad.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

On Qingyun Ma

Source: FastCompany.com
    Link: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/131/journey-to-the-west.html
    Title: "What Hitoshi Abe and Qingyun Ma Are Teaching the Next Generation of American Architects", by Carolina A. Miranda
    Date: December, 2008 (#131)

It seems relevant. Qingyun Ma is presently the dean of the architecture department at the University of Southern California.

And Charles Mudede, over at Slog, considers this idea:

On the one hand, I recognize certain elements of what Mudede is referring to with the idea that the East is something older and more orderly, but he may well be overlooking a couple things. The next paragraph in Miranda's article reads:

Especially in the case of China, which in some ways still considers itself revolutionary in a context pertaining to Marx and Mao Zhedong, Asia seems to be physically, tangibly, scrambling toward the future while struggling to preserve its cultural heritage. Indeed, generic apartment buildings in Beijing will denigrate some aspect of China's cultural wealth, but therein lies the challenge. This is why we should not "jettison" the past. To the other, neither should we cling to it. Evolution is a constant transformation, and the transitional periods between any two seemingly unique expressions of a common lineage will include identifiable aspects of both incarnations. It could be that Mudede, whose philosophical ramblings I enjoy—and this one is no different—is assigning the wrong context to the values he is considering. I don't know, though. It just seems to me that in psychospiritually traditional cultures, it is very hard to identify the change in its physical manifestations.

Because, to the other, China is marching forward, so to speak, even racing to catch up with the twenty-first century. There is a lot of modernization going on, and much still to take place. But that does not mean everything must go. Of Qingyun Ma at USC and Hitoshi Abe at UCLA, Miranda writes, "The hiring of these two architects hasn't instantly transformed the curricula or culture of either school."

Nor would—or can—they instantly transform such deeply-rooted cultures as Japan and China.

Notes:

Mudede, Charles. "The New Empire of the Signs". Slog. December 4, 2008. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2008/12/04/the_new_empire_of_the_signs

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I like it. I think its cool. They should have painted it white and red.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Sam in that case you should see jeff kennets "yellow peril"

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Lovely

Its what I miss since I left the Middle East, the surprising architecture and sculptures that suddenly come upon you.

Can you imagine coming down this highway, looking up and seeing how its held up?

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yuck, i HATE it. What ever happened to nice trees and bushes along freeways instead of phalanx symbols. My favorite piece of art is out the front of the old museum (and library, now it is only the state library) in Melbourne. Its like the statue of liberty from planet of the apes where just her head is sticking up. This is just the corner of the library sticking up like a small pyramid out of the concrete. I have always loved the implication that everything we do is temporary

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What a fuddy duddy you are. I like innovation.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

this is my favorite art

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats actually very nice. Btw, that picture I put up is the road from Taif to Jeddah, its the desert and the mountain was cut away to make that road. Not too many trees there.

[that cable you see is a cable car that takes you from the top of teh mountain to a sort of water park below].

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats the back of it

these two are of the easten freeway for comparision

Dont ask me what this nut is doing but look at all the green in the background

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Innovation would be finding ways to downsize the worlds population so that we can have more parks and less buildings. I don't mind buildings when they are needed but many buildings I've worked in aren't really needed at all and remain three quarters empty after they are built! There's a new "green" building trying to take hold to try and build edifices so that they are more environmentally friendly. I'd like to see that more often employed when the designers are coming up with their ideas. Many building today are only used for less than 50 years and then torn down to make way for something new and improved. I liked it better when buildings were made to last for 100's of years.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Actually, the term "yellow peril" was applied to this (real title "Vault"):

Perhaps you mean "phallic symbols".

I don't see any major problem with those sticks on an angle.

Yeah, I like that one, too.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats very nice. Whats it supposed to represent?

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Another piece of public art from Melbourne: "Three Businessmen who brought their own lunch"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.