Travel to Mars in 3 hours

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by QuarkMoon, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Then the statement but that is just the spaceship accelerating, not you. becomes meaningless.

Either you and the ship are accelerating, in which case you feel the effects of the acceleration.

Or, the ship is accelerating and you are not, in which case you are left behind as the ship disappears into space at an increasing speed.

By the way, your grasp of the Heim theory places you right up there with most physicists: you haven't the faintest idea. The principlal difference is that they are aware they don't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, as I said before, it makes sense to accelerate in small chuncks, so that the effects of acceleration are minimized.

Hehehe.... this reminds me of a scene from the movie Spaceballs....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What is "Heim theory"?

Yaba Daba! :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Point 1: That has zero relevance to your previous statements that were simply contradictory to point of being mutually exclusive.
    Point 2:It does not make sense to accelerate in small chunks. It makes sense to accelerate constantly, so that effect is smooth and not jerky.
    Point 3:Off-topic, but you have an uncanny ability to get at least half of what you post hopelessly wrong. At the risk of being offensive, would this be due to a lack of education, a lack of intellect, a trolling technique, or some other factor?
    My apologies. I didn't realise you had a science education.
    You are serious aren't you? It is what this thread is about you turkey. If you are going to participate, at least pay other posters the compliment of treating it seriously, or expect all the derision that is rightfully yours to be heaped upon you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Probably lack of your understanding of logic...

No, you totally didn't understand me. I said that the acceleration should be slow and rising at a constant speed. I never said it should be "jerky". I said it to be rising like an exponential function.

Have you ever watched Spaceballs...?

Hey! I'm forgetful, you know! I haven't been to this thread for a long time...!

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Geeeez! You are so serious! It is boring to talk with you!

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Truthseeker - here is some free advice. Learn to communicate. When you grow up you may find it is a useful skill.

Final point: you said it was better to accelerate in chunks. That is very definitely not the same as acceleration rising as an exponential function. You see what I mean about clear communication: you lack it.
    What acceleration were you planning on rising to?

10. draqon Banned Banned

Well aside from the claim to travel to Mars in 3 days by using technology we have not developed a concept of...realistically we can travel to Mars in a year or so in a PLASTIC spaceship...yupp...plastic or polyethylene spaceship will help the astronauts survive the radiation conditions on their ride to the red planet.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

By small chunks I meant little by little. Accelerate a little bit, then a little bit more, and so on.

Well, I agree I'm not the best communicator. But, hey! I challenge that position!

How would I ever improve if I didn't try?

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Solar sails can do it in 3 months...

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Another thing that people should remember is that there is no friction in space. So my question is, if there is no friction, can the acceleration be felt?

I mean.. when an airplane accelerates, we feel the acceleration because there is air causing friction. Th air creates a force that is contrary to the direction of the airplane. That creates pressure and we feel that pressure when the airplane shakes. But once the plane is up and in a constant speed, the air resistance decreases thus decreasing the pressure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  14. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Acceleration in space would be felt as something very like gravity. If you accelerate at a third of a gee for ten seconds, you will feel a gravity-like force for ten seconds.
    If you accelerated ten times as much you would feel a full Earth gravity for the period of the acceleration.

Accelerate even more you would feel a force greater than Earth gravity pushing you down into your seat.

On top of this sensation of weight the rocket would no doubt vibrate in a noticable way because of the massive energies concerned.

This would not necessarily apply to a ship which warps space, because that might drag its inertial frame of reference with it. But there is no feasible method of creating a warp drive yet; Jochem Hauser's idea comes nowhere near describing a working prototype.

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

This will sound harsh, but I mean to help. Post a little less and read some in a physics book.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I don't care about physics books. I'm posting because I'm interested in discussing. I say what seems to be most logical, that's all.

So, what do you think is wrong in my logic?

17. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

That the spaceship was accelerating but the contents weren't

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Where did I say that?

This is what I said:
    "10 light years per hour in 5 minutes"...

I'm so cool!

No really... they feel the effects of acceleration, not speed. This is the difference I'm trying to point out.

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I believe that's where you said it.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hamster, there I was talking about hyperdrive. I was talking about wrapping the space. Just as eburacum45 said:

21. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Ah, I see. All clear now. I apologise

22. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

TruthSeeker, I think this is where your logic is flawed:

The air causes us to feel relatively minor forces (or major ones if you're unlucky enough to go through significant turbulence), but the main force that pushes you back in your seat is not caused by air. You'd feel it just the same if you accelerated in a vacuum at a similar rate.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes! Bown to me! I'm your master!