Transporter Query.......

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Don Quixote, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Don Quixote Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Could anyone please help me with this question?

The transporter on the Starship Voyager malfunctions. It beams an atom for atom duplicate of you down to the planet, but doesn't destroy the original! Which is the real you? why?

I think the real you, is the me left on the ship. But i'm not sure of the why...

Help please?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I guess it depends on whether you think an atom for atom duplication is enough to reproduce the "real you". If it is, then both copies are the real you, although their experiences will quickly diverge from the moment the second copy appears. If not, then you have to decide what characteristics the "real you" has which might distinguish it from a mere copy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

The real u will still be the one on the ship! Ur mind is still comes from the body on the ship. U are looking at a replica of ur body being made but when it is made, u don't just suddenly jump into it!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

What if what really happens when they transport you is that the machine rips through a dimensional barrier and grabs a 'you' from another dimension leaving it uninhabited by 'you'.

8. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

9. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Would it hurt you so much to type out "you"? It's only two more letters than your inane internet shorthand. Please, for the sake of maintaining appearances of intelligent discussion on this site, could you at lest put yourself into a position where one might believe you were capable of passing a high school English 101 class?

I hit the edit button just now, feeling that perhaps my comment was a little too harsh, or at least out of place. But looking over the quoted post again, I'm filled once more with the feeling that I am justified in my actions. Seriously now, if you're going to come and try to participate in a community who's members communicate entirely with the written word, then you should at least put the effort into being proficient enough with that you're capable of writing in entire words and sentences.

Alright, upon reading my post through once more and giving myself a moment to breath, I suppose that I should have just made another thread on this subject in the free thoughts section, and then linked to the offending post, so maybe I'll go off and do just that. Then again, maybe I'm over reacting? Is this even the right thread to become outraged over the level of discourse? I really need to work on my priorities. Net speak just happens to be a real pet peeve of mine.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mystech:

The first rule of pedantry is to be correct yourself. Otherwise, you tend to look a bit silly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

To be honest, as James has pointed out, everyone has their own style of writing and I am NOT going to change my style. I can tell u that now. If u don't like it then don't read my posts but I am telling u (as hopefully the last person) that there's no point in posting a post like this again because I am NOT going to change it.

I really don't think it is too hard to read and I sincerely hope u don't think I am doing this because I can't spell "you" or that i haven't passed my English exams. I believe u are saying this because my post has unintentionally hurt u or made u emotional in some way so I am not going to scream back at u! (Rosa taught me a lesson in anger management

)

12. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

LoL!!!! I wuz Pwnz0red! Srry Guyz Im Just not 1337 e-nough 4 Ur skillz, forgive me, k? Plz,thnks!

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Its only the "u" I do, nothing else. I think you're confusing me with that guy that everyone laid into a while back coz he was writing the way u wrote above. I am not him BTW

14. Don Quixote Registered Member

thanks james......and everyone else too?

15. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

If a replica of you were made atom for atom, then there would be no physical significanse of which one were "you".

So who would you sense to be?

If we take it down to a cellular level, then all your cells have been replaced a number of times, so "you" aren't in the physical. Therefor you would still be in Starship Voyager, cause "you" is "you".

Teleporting has been achieved (with photons, not yet with atoms). It was shown that as soon as the replica was made the original disappeared itself.

This may show that all things have a uniqueness and there can't be two of the same.

But how do this relate to you and your body? Would the original naturally disappear? Just like you moving from one point to another, there isn't a copy made of you for each step you take. Maybe if a copy of all levels of matter were made of you, then the original would disappear. But if a copy were just made by materials and constructing a similiar cell that you had, and arrange them into similiar patterns that you had. Then the original wouldn't disappear. Since it isn't the original matter that is replicated, it's the pattern it forms, using other matter. But if "the same" matter is used, then the original would disappear, cause "the same" now exists in another place.

16. Kenton Massey Registered Member

Simple answer.

The transpoter would not in its design make a copy. You would be speaking of a replicator by context. So it is an unfounded thought.

17. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

But you understand what he meant. Just think "replicator" instead of "transporter" and the thought isn't unfounded anymore. Do you have any answer?

18. Jubatus Nought Advocate Registered Senior Member

If existence is soulless the duplicate will have a conscience and awareness just like you and feel like you, the only difference being the knowledge by memory that it is indeed a duplicate of you.

Any distinction appliable would be through a part of you that isn't duplicatable by the replicator, e.g. a soul.

(Note: I do not personally believe in a soul.)

Or maybe there is something physical that cannot be duplicated, perhaps something subatomic, some kind of "registration mark" more ancient and basic than DNA - something on which the replicator cannot pick up.

These are all but speculations, but for all practical purposes (as we generally see them given our current level of technological (and mayhaps spiritual) prowess) the duplicate you is as much you as yourself disregarding timespan of existence.

What you really need to contemplate is what crimes yous (pardon the italian pun) could get away with legally before laws concerning duplicates are instated.

19. Kenton Massey Registered Member

Yes. Machines can not create life. It would be a lifeless lump on the planet. You would be you.

20. Kenton Massey Registered Member

Lets say that we progressed toward replicating life forms and a perfect match could be made. Can cellular decay be replicated, no. Could memory be duplicated, possible. But the awareness of self is singular so it would be new to it's self with your memories but no residue exsists to replicate when it comes to self awareness.

21. Jubatus Nought Advocate Registered Senior Member

This to me is a typical dogmatic conviction that life is something more-than-energy/matter; that life is some intangible, sacred "spark" and beyond our grasp of manipulation. All I can say is that science is proving you and your ilk more and more wrong, step by step of scientific power. Already we understand the predispositions for the origins of life, and producing such environment. Genes, DNA are virtually ours to control as we will.

To view and answer your statement more simply; man is himself a machine and is quite capable of creating life - ask your mom and dad.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  22. Jubatus Nought Advocate Registered Senior Member

Please prove that cellular decay cannot be duplicated.

Memory is "merely" a patterning of certain parts of the brain, much like the memory of a computer is binary settings, so duplicating memory should in theory prove little more complicated than duplicating a hard disk.

Awareness of self is singular to each being, yes, but the duplicate, having the exact same memories as the original up to its actual creation, will be as convinced of its own conscious awareness of being you as the original you, the only difference, as mentioned before, being the awareness of being the duplicate.

23. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

What is the difference between you being here or you being there?

If our awareness follow us wherever we go, then there shouldn't be any difference. You would share the awareness of the replica.

It would be like you moving from one place to another.

If the awareness of yourself is in the physical then we have the same situation. The awareness would follow the physical and you would be at two places at once. There wouldn't be any reason why you would feel aware only in the original and not in the replica.

If we say that you died and a copy of you were stored in a computer. Then we arranged the particles so they would match you perfectly.

If that would be done. Would you be brought back to life?

If not, why?

I see what you mean that awareness is singular. There is only one awareness of you.

But then, could there be that each awareness is singular?

You and I are then only different by awareness.

Could that be the equivalent of soul?