Transmitting to outer space

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What if all other alien beings use another wave length to transmit and

recieve with? Just because humans use those that are being used doesn't

mean everyone does. What if they all used sign language?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the info, , kmguru, I have to think on this further.

p.s. cosmic, it's for an art/ritual/science installation.

I'm wary of using radio signal, because for such a signal I had originally in mind one requires a licence that would be impossible for me to get.
    And I don't want to do this illegally, because it'll be a public event.

I also have an unlikely third option of renting our radio telescope at Irbene for one night. If I can get it for $1000, I'll do it. It's largely unused anyway.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

That sounds very interesting. You therefore could use an automated pulsing along with some LED lights that blinks in synch for everyone to see, because if they look at the laser, they will go blind.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

kmguru, I'm terrible at math, can you please, please do the calculation for me with these specs:

Name: Elite Series
    Size: 15x155mm
    Wavelength: 532nm
    Laser Body: Chrome Finished Brass
    Transverse Mode: TEM00
    Output Power: 150mW - 200mW
    Beam Divergence: 0.8mRad - 1.2mRad
    Beam Diameter: 1.6mm

This costs 700$ and is in the affordable range.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/laser_beam_comparison.html

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

On the other hand, maybe I better turn to our Technical University for help.
    They also have some powerful lasers, I just don't know how portable.

9. kmguru Staff Member

Since it is an art project, go for it. Make sure, you cut a round glass to cover the laser and have a frame made behind the glass. Have a series of leds, unicolor - choose blue or white LED in a circle around the laser. Be creative. Send me the sketch via PM. I may give you some ideas. I am a closet artist. My engineering brain dominated the art side....he..he...

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Before actual construction I have to finish the uni though (this summer). Right now I'm only assesing the situation and the stuff I need.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

You seem not to be aware of fact that very strong signal are sent to Jupitor every day especially when Jupitor and Earth are on approximately the same side of the sun. I am refering to TV pictures. The TV antennas are designed to form disk shapped beams of very high power that are tangent to the sphere of the Earth (No point in sending energy upwards, so they do not) Twice each day every TV station sends millions of times stronger beam than you can as the rotation of Earth moves the TV beam across Jupitor. There are at least 1000 high powered TV stations so 2000 times a day Jupitor is illuminated with a million times more energy than you are hopping for. What is the point of what you are thinking of?

12. kmguru Staff Member

Pay attention...it is an art work!

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm very well aware of that, but I don't have the means to acquire a licence for such a set-up, or the money to make it! Besides it would be an overkill for my project.

As kmguru says it's intended for an art project with videoart, soundscapes, a physical signal to Jupiter and a few other things with the help of fellow students and a few people on the net.

And in each technical forum I ask for some advice I have at least a few telling me there's no point in doing what I have in mind, because we are already sending signals there and there would be nobody to receive.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I am "paying attention," can you explain this "art" to me? I think it needs to be possible to be able to see or hear something for that "somthing" to be "art." If impossible for anyone to either hear or see something how can that be "art"? As they say: "art is in the eye of the beholder." Hence if no "beholder" there is no art. If the "art" is in the fradulent of feeble (compared to what is already routine every minute effort to achieve nothing in reality by some "hokus- pokus here on Earth then just make something up pout of carbpoard boxes, tin cans etc and call it "art aim it at jupotior if you then that will enhace the "artistic" pleasure of some one standing near by the assembled cardboard and tin cans. It would not be "ART" , but "nonsense" for me, but every one to their own taste. Some very crazy thing are done in the name of "art" such as wrapping building in toilet paper etc.

As I pointed out in last post more frequently, on average, than once every minute TV pictures are already being sent to Jupitor. With quite modest equipment there one can already watch the nightly news etc. (for a few seconds on one channel, before switching with less than a minute delay to another channel). Is this "art" even though no one is watching or hearing these shows on Jupitor?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please give a clear discription of "your project" Or the post number where you have already done so.

For example, at least tell what is essential for it to be a success and what would be a failure? (I assume there is more than one way it could fail, but the fact that no one sees or hears it should be high on the list, IMHO.)

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Success for this particular part of the project (it integrates into an art film and sound performance) is that there is a signal which is sent to Jupiter at the time of the performance and that it is a signal which is taken seriously by an educated audience (students). In other words it has to be a reasonably detectable signal if the receiver was on Jupiter, but it doesn't need to be strong enough to reflect off Jupiter's atmosphere.

The signal itself is not encoded information, but analog sound/beep something like a morse code, but based on a different logic.

Failure would be if the signal is so weak that it is not reasonable to assume that anyone, for example - our probe, could detect it on Jupiter.

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Ok, I see why you want power, but not what would be novel compared to just making your "film and sound show" in a TV studio for broadcast at time when Jupitor is in the transmitting antenna's beam is horizontal plane intersecting Jupitor.

The cheapest way for you to get a lot of power is with a mirrors, reflecting sunlight. (Nearly a Kw for each square meter of mirror at noon on clear day.) Perhaps you can make it an audience participation show. Set sticks in the ground pointing to where Jupitor is at noon and have a simple "guide tube" attached perpendicular to each mirror. They aim at unseen Jupitor by making the shadow of stick made by light passing thru the guide tube very short or disappear. Make a big pretense of setting up the sticks correctly (at least get them all parallel) and some will believe you sent a detectable signal to Jupitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.