Transgenic fish go large

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Michael, Sep 15, 2010.

?

Are you going to eat transgenic salmon?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I would but I don't like salmon so no.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Michael

If you have a personal emotional distaste for a particular food, then that is your business.

I would simply request that you admit that point, and tell others that there is no rational reason for them not eating that food.

If I chose, I could irrationally worship the evil and terrible Cthulhu, and believe that I will spend eternity after death being slowly digested in His stomach. Nothing wrong there, though stupid. But if I tried to convince others of this superstition, that would be wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'll admit the food is most likely safe, however, we really couldn't say 100%. Perhaps GM fish are more easily infected with parasites because they're not as healthy as normal fish? While I'm not a molecular biologist, off hand I'd say yes eating GM DNA should be just like any other DNA. Eaten proteins can be dangerous, but, not because they are GM.

Maybe there is an element of superstition, in that we evolved to be somewhat wary of what we put into our mouths. Of course, this is balanced with some curiosity too.

I do admit, my reason for thinking franken-musclefish sticks is disgusting isn't based on a rational reasoning. In that sense, it's not really any different than when someone doesn't want to eat sashimi because they think raw fish is gross.

I'm still not eating those fish if I can help it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.