Tranquilizer Guns

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by mr. kavu, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. kavu Registered Member

I need some scientific information.
    1. What velocity do tranquilizer darts go?
    2. How fast do they act after impact?
    3. What is the average thickness of a dart?
    4. How do they knock something out?
    5. Is there some kind of antidote you could take before or while the chemical is put into your blood that could counter the effects?

Okay, these are some weird, random questions. I'm sane. I think. It's my friend who isn't. He keeps talking about tranqulizer guns and what happened when someone shot him and how he was immediately knocked out and...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, I can't find the information on Google so I'm hoping someone can answer these questions for me.

Thanks,
    Mr. |{ /-\ \/ \_/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

1. depends on the type of weapon that's being used. pistols are used as well as rifles. Many times air rifles are used as to not excite the animal being tranqed.
    STYLES AVAILABLE: There are several different types and styles available in the AirSoft. There are the

Spring air pistols and rifles - Styled after some of the world's famous firearms, the spring air powered handguns and rifles are true to scale and easy to operate. The "Spring" versions are most often referred to as "single shot." They are very similar to a conventional BB gun. The Spring actuated versions can be the most accurate and powerful of the AirSoft BB guns.

How it works: pull back the slide, just like the real firearm they are modeled after, to charge the firing mechanism. Aim and fire. These models must be manually cocked each shot.

Because of their maintenance free design and affordability, these are excellent entry level AirSoft guns for the hobby enthusiasts.

Gas powered pistols and rifles - There are two types of gas powered guns on the market today: Standard hose feed gas guns and gas blow back guns. Gas blow back guns are among the most popular because of their power and added cosmetic blow back actions. Gas powered models use low temperature carbon dioxide, environment safe freon or "green gas" to operate. The gas is either injected into a reservoir within the gun/rifle or attached to an exterior tank.

How it works: Chamber the first round by pulling back the slide; aim and fire; the "Blowback" action will load the next round and the slide will lock open when all rounds are fired, just like the real model.

Because of their advance design and function, theses are for the more discerning collector.

Electric AirSoft - Electric AirSoft BB guns are electric powered submachine guns or rifles finely detailed with some having functional accessories and components. These are referred to most often as "select fire." The Spring guns are forces to compress but this time with the use of an electric motor powered by rechargeable batteries that turns a set of gears and arms and fires the pneumatic cylinder automatically. Electric guns are are as powerful as spring or gas powered guns. Other unique selections in this category are the "Mini AirSoft" guns, which are basically caricatures of actual rifles and submachine guns. Electric guns are popular because they are extremely reliable and last more than 2-3 years without trouble. The are popular because there is an advantage of not being single shot and you having to always buy refillable gas cans.

How it works: The electric AirSoft Guns incorporate a battery operated motor to perform the entire action. It allows for near instantaneous firing response. A constant pull on the trigger allows for fully automatic machine gun-like rapid firing. Air Electric design even allows for the user to control the number of shots fired during burst mode by a simple adjustment on the gun.

Mini Electrics - work like the bigger models.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mr. kavu Registered Member

Thanks, cosmictraveler. I'll have to see what kind it was. I mainly need the answer to question 5, so if anyone knows, please post!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Again that depends on the type of drugs used and how much. I'd say you won't counteract the drug that they use though because animal tranqs are allot heavier doses than what humans get, if that's what you refering to.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Benjamin Sheridan (who make various pump up and co2 air rifles and pistols) also sell a range of tranquiliser dart guns;

http://www.blowgunsnw.com/Merchant2...ode=BNI&Product_Code=178B&Category_Code=tranq

One shown is .50cal, but no fps is given, I should think it's fairly low, around 300fps tops, as a dart at any higher velocity would hurt the animal a fair amount.

Seems Crosman own Benjamin Sheridan now, so an email to their customer support line via their web site;

http://www.crosman.com/

Might provide your answers.

I have a Chinese made Bolt action QB78 in 0.22 calibre myself, target version, not for knocking out livestock!

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Yes these are some weird questions. If you are sane, then why don't you try talking you friend out of it?

10. Light Registered Senior Member

Yes, there are stimulants that vets give the animals to bring them around quickly after they've finished working. You could take those BUT it would be very dangerous (greatly increased heart-rate, very elevated blood pressure, possibility of inducing a heart attack or stroke) if you weren't hit by the dart right away.

Also, your friend is totaly lying to you about being knocked out "immediately." The most effective drugs used - sodium pentathol and others - require at least 15 to 20 seconds to take effect. It can be a little less under certain conditions (like extreme stress) but nothing will knock you out that quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.