Tough Times

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Mickmeister, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

All I hear is the media preaching about tough economic times. I have not seen one thing yet that has been so detrimental to us.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Who is "us" ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

My wife and I

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing last week. I still tons of people packing restaurants, going shopping, traveling to see family and friends.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I guess that you don't earn the minimum wage. I'd suspect that even people making 15.00 per hour have been affected very much as well. Then you have the airlines , which have laid off people, the truckers, who are losing money, the cost of gas alone has risen from 3.00 to over 4.30 per gallon in less than 1 year. There are other indicators as well like the unemployment rate is now over 5 percent.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the great lakes region is hurting because the auto companies are hurting. That is for a lot of different reasons, though.

10. desi Valued Senior Member

I've seen people taking a second glance at prices in the supermarket.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, we are at a 7%+ unemployment rate. Its brutal. Paper mills are gone, moved to China, where they don't care what crap you release into the water. Plastic companies Eaton/Visteon, who make auto parts are shutting down. Tool/Die companies who make molds for the auto comp are now out of business. Upjohn/Pharmacia/Pfizer has shut down many sections and are laying off.
    Its like the dust bowl here. People are packing up and leaving in droves. Houses for sale everywhere and no one moving to the state to buy them.

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Likewise. As a contrarian I am therefore long biased. Buy fear.

It's possible that you haven't been effected yet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=alYak4riQl0c&refer=home

And it's possible that you won't be effected at all. However if you open your eyes you can observe the effects on other people.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Mickmeister my brother is the manager at a electricals store in Australia. He was telling me last night that due to there lack of sales he has been told he has to cut wages. So far he hasnt had to fire anyone but all his casuals are getting no hours

I work for a restraunt who targets mainly corprate funtions, normally this time of year we would be packed but this year we have so little work we can barly aford to open.

Chicken went from less than $7kg to over $11
    Mince from less than $5kg to over $10
    Even the cheepest cuts of meat like gravy beef and osobuco are more than $10kg

Petrol is up from less than a $1 early last year to more than $1.60

House prices are just astromical which means rental prices are going through the roof more than doubling in less than a year

Thats not even to MENTION the rising interest rates

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

is gravy beef aka hamburger?

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no, its also called shin beef. Its osobuca without the bone and tends to be used for soup (though i did know a couple who thought it was great steak meat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

holy crap!
    1 kg = 2 lb. I pay $1 per lb. I'd start raising chickens in my yard if they cost that much.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

ah, shank. Most of that is ground up into hamburger here. Too sinewy and tough. Its $2.59 lb here now. So about $5 kg.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i must qualify that. Its breast meat but PB wont eat thigh, Thighs are up from $3-4 kg to i THINK around $7kg

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I buy it for soup. I make a beef broth that has been handed down through my family and its the best soup (keeps me going all winter) but its gone from being dirt cheep to make to bloody expencive

The reason i have stuck to meat prices is because i just dont know anymore what the price of veg will be one week to the next.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, I take it you buy skinned boneless breast?
    lazy lazy.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually i would prefer skin on breast but i cant get it retail, as for boned again you cant buy it any other way. After all i am a chef, i could remove the bone myself if i wanted to.

what i WONT buy is a whole chicken at $7kg in order to just use the breasts. It isnt economical because the bones, fat ect all end up adding up to more than the meat

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Do you have any stock investments (401k, IRA, ESPP, Options, etc.)? I would bet the farm you have lost alot of money in recent months. How much did you pay to fill up your gas tank? You can thank a weak dollar for that. Any local shops going out of business in your area? Furniture stores doing alright?

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so you won't eat thigh and leg either? If you're a chef, just de-bone the thighs. Use the chicken bones to make stock.