Top Ten Signs that You're a Christian

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Jun 14, 2010.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Then dont bring up hypotheticals about him.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You think he's only hypothetically filthy? Could be. Maybe he changes his underwear more than Bells' sample set from the last thread?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

does it bother you that I don't like touching things I think are Un-Clean without Blessing them first.

Blessings

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It bothers me that you think you have the right to consider another unclean; it bothers most people on this forum also.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Good response.

10. greenboy Registered Senior Member

Well you guys are getting away from the subject with humor so we have to stop the discussion in nothing....

Looks what Joseph said. As Minister of Enlightenment, Goebbels had two main tasks:

to ensure nobody in Germany could read or see anything that was hostile or damaging to the Nazi Party.

to ensure that the views of the Nazis were put across in the most persuasive manner possible.

The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it.
    Goebbels.

Well well... back in 1940 or so...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Each society has hygiene standards. The disparities between them is a legitimate topic. Considering the many ways in which a person can become less than 100% hospital-standard clean, some of which are the result of activities that are proscribed by one religion or another, it's unreasonable to expect religionists to not have strong opinions about the topic.

Most religious rules are relics of the Bronze Age or even the Stone Age, when the world was a much different kind of place and there was a much different set of risks than those we face today. Pigs, for example, are scavengers by instinct, and probably self-domesticated like dogs, coming to dine from our middens (trash dumps). Even in historical times, pigs were often kept around specifically as cleaners; I've read that in medieval Europe, which had lost most of the fine points of Roman civilization and was basically one giant open sewer, the way that municipal governments "cleaned" their city streets was to run a herd of pigs through town once a year, to simply eat up the filth--and presumably turn it all into pig feces shortly after crossing the city line on the way out. Under these circumstances, a proscription against eating the flesh of pigs seems so sensible as to be unnecessary! To call someone who ate pork "unclean" would not have been remarkable.

The problem with religious laws is that they are even more difficult to amend or repeal than civil laws. It's merely amusing to find a city that still has a law against shooting rabbits from a streetcar; to find a religion that still has a law against eating pork--in an era when cultivation of cattle feed is a major factor in deforestation--is horrifying.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Full stop: I get what you're saying, but he's talking belief, not bacon or bathing - and in the modern era. We bathe. Fo realz.

If he'd once said so much as the word "chop" (pork, not necks), I could run with this nutritional argument a bit, or at least until it admitted to me it hadn't been jogging in years and was starting to see stars.