Too Many Buttons ....

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Tiassa, May 27, 2001.

?

You had better like the new features!

1. I'm so ... confused ....

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Looks beautiful baby, let's do lunch

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I hadn't noticed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ummm .....

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I think the funniest thing about my owning an iMac is that when I was a PC person, it originally started because I had the nasty habit of letting the user interface distract me. When writing, I became obsessed with fonts and silly details, wheras my boring 286 forced me to write in dos-looking fonts and colors for ages; I even had one where colors were font indicators: yellow for italic, red for bold, white for plain text ... But when I worked on the nearest Mac to me, I would print out my pages in just stupid fonts for editing and revision, and give myself all manner of headaches. I guess that's a user error, but it had its lasting effects.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thus I say you're giving me too many buttons. I may eventually become an irrelevant mass of smilies.

In the meantime, let me say that everything looks good. Sciforums is nearly Jedi-master. I mean, you even have pretty font buttons. I would, in fact, say it is Jedi-master, except I figure you've got things up your sleeve for the future that would leave me nowhere to transgress the superlative.

Mind you, my problems with Macs came years ago, when my brother was a Mac person and I was a PC person. Of course, I was a Democrat first, so he still thinks he won with Reagan

Shows you the follies of youth, eh?

But really, it does look wonderful.

thanx,
    Tiassa

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

hehe... Luckily, you can turn the buttons off in your preferences. Look for the "vBCode" option just above the Avatar controls.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

New upgrade

I guess it'll just take gettin' used to. Ain't a hill for a stepper, or so they say.... I had just about gotten to the place where I was looking for new code to learn to make more use of the boards features. Looks like I'm starting again. Hey, that's cool. I gotta say though, it is a fine forum. You did good Porfiry!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

These buttons are merely a convenience. If you don't wish to use them, then you can still do things the old way. I think they are really the only visible changes in the user interface.

8. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

To many bits and bytes on the reply page, DAVE!!!!! by god!!!

I can't post a bleedin thing , at least at the moment.

I think you got too much crap on the repond to a post page. I t may just be a slow phone connection!!!!!!

Fonts & such!!!!! i would prefer a simple box in the upper left hand corner which showed responders how to post the tags, smilies, ect........

So far every post that I have tried to make has resulted in an error, probably this one too. If it does, then I'll be sendin you an email direct if you have one posted here @EXO-complicated!!!

9. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Well hell DAVE.........it worked that time!!!!!! Maybe the f*u*cki* n Democrats have paid your server off to keep me from posting in the politics forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow.......I'll try again..........

10. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

NOPE...NAY DAVE, IT AIN'T WORKIN.....

<b>NO IT AIN'T WORKIN DAVE!!!!!! I have been trying to post a reply on the WORLD AFFAIRS/POLITICAL FORUM, WITH NOTHING BUT INTERNAL SERVER ERRORS, ECT......

I even increased my internal RAM memory from 95 megabytes to 250 megabytes, with no good results. I restarted the computer and all.

This is a compaq presario of 2000 vintage. Gobs of memory. What's going on???????

11. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Well, there it went again!!!!!

Well DAVE, there it went again!!!!!! I have managed to post short messages, with no problems. But every time that I try to post a 5000 plus character recitation, I get errors........

Surely this is not your ultimate plan DAVE ! ! ! !

I have really had a difficult time with the personal emails that arte limited to 1000 characters!!!!!!!! Have you done the same thing with the public posts, DAVE??????????

<b>Please don't limit the writers<i>@EXO-long winded</i> to a maximum number of characters, DAVE! </b>

TRULY,

HOWARDSTERN...........

12. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I didn't realize I had placed a limit on private message size. I have just lifted it.

Also, realize you can turn off the additional buttons in your preferences as I mentioned above.

13. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Alright, I've killed the buttons, for now.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Bring back the buttons please, they make life easier. Howard will eventually learn.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

OK ... it's official

I was just whining to be a pain in the ass. I did, in the end, say I liked it. Good heavens ... what have I wrought?

thanx,
    Tiassa

16. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

The buttons will return. I was merely hoping to temporarily stop the flood of messages from Howard. Hey Howard, perhaps you should buy a computer that <B>works</B>, eh? Get a Mac!

17. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Confused!

Dave,

Am I missing something or are the `Last Thread' and `Next Thread" buttons reversed at the right top of the page?

Or am I the only button pusher and noticed it?

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

e-mail limit

Boy, I've banged against that ceiling more times than I want to count. Thanx.

The buttons don't matter as far as posting goes. You get used to what you have to work with. I do like being able to see the code though. Once I get used to it I simply bypass the buttons and write the code. I can do that quicker than moving the mouse all over.

I do appreciate the option of having it my way! Hold that tomato...

And is that a new avatar I precieve? I don't know if the world came to an end but it has certainly slowed down.

Last edited: May 30, 2001
  19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

iMacs ... the trials of youth

http://doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index20010529.htm

I mention it here only because we've got a few Mac jokes going on here, as well as a side discussion of the benefits of Macs.

A couple of notes, though:

* Aah, if only youth conflict was so civilized.
    * Yes, kids really are often that petty; and they grow up to be petty adults.
    * Given that, I think I could make a social post out of this in the Ethics/Morality/Justice forum.

But any good Mac joke will do for now.

thanx,
    Tiassa

20. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

ug, that actually sounds like my childhood (hell, I went to a private school, so yes, ridicule was more sophisticated, but still directed at me

).

Alas, the only compatriates of mine were some meek females who would claim the only reason they used Macs were because they were easy to use (sensible, yes, but that sort of thing really doesn't go over well with the rich and spoiled Quake-playing testosterone junkies that are teenage boys).

I suppose it all worked out in the end, however, as that was probably a major seed of discontent that would later blossom into my all-consuming cynicism that makes my life so pleasant to live.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You had a computer? Why, when I was a kid, I had to walk barefoot ten miles in the snow just to play video games at the nearest bowling alley.

Honestly, I remember an Atari or some thing that you plugged into the television. It offered 2D graphics and about fifteen minutes of entertainment.

22. Pro. Max Arturo Good God, I'm not Howard! Registered Senior Member

Thank God!

Thank God that someone else agrees that Howardstern is an idiot!

Anyone who does not feel this way, need only read the previous posts in this thread!