"Tolerance" Amongst Different People

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Enmos, did you get a bloody dictionary for Christmas or something?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I use the online one. The great thing is that it's free and accessible to everyone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

If you show tolerance towards someone because of non-agreement you don't show anything to keep the peace.
    If you show intolerance because of non-agreement you dogmaticaly show how you feel in a negative way ,that leaves no room for any aceptance of rights to what you don't believe.

to be tolerant is good you control your emotion for the benefit of others
    to be intolerant is bad you lose your cool with no respect for others

8. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

If you look to hard for something you will not see.
    if you look to far for meaning you may miss it and realise the anwser was there at the begining but the simplicity makes it unbelievable for the mind to accept

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We Americans have sanitized ourselves into a state of intolerance in the literal sense: We cannot tolerate people who do not practice our standards of hygiene because we literally cannot bear the odor. I cannot sit next to a person from a culture that does not believe in deodorants, oral hygiene, and a shower every couple of days. It brings me almost to the point of nausea, and surely to the point that I can't focus my attention on anything but the odor. It disrupts workplaces; people can't concentrate and accomplish anything in meetings or work cubicles. And it makes public transportation even more hideously awful than it naturally is.

Obviously this is a matter of culture clash since many people were raised in countries where what we consider a minimum standard of hygiene was a luxury. But there's another thread growing about "assimilation" and the Melting Pot. The Melting Pot is about give-and-take, but that doesn't apply to everything in "American culture." If someone wants to live here, they have to assimilate to our hygiene standards; there is no compromise allowed.

As for the religious rituals you mention, if they stink they will never be accepted in America. Even our athletes use such heavy deodorants that most of them don't smell too terribly awful after a hard game--and they run at full speed to the nearest shower, where the locker rooms are thoroughly air conditioned and freshened.
    That's not exactly accurate. About all you can say is that they hadn't started rounding them up and killing them yet. During the 1930s they banned them from a steadily expanding list of occupations and had begun appropriating their property by various sorts of chicanery.

Perhaps your timeline is a little imprecise and you really mean that the Germans tolerated the Jews up until the Nazis began rising to power as a result of Germany's humiliating defeat in WWI. I think that would be a fairly accurate statement.