To smack or not to smack....that is the question!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, May 13, 2008.

?

Is smacking a child right?

Poll closed May 23, 2008.
  1. yes, some kids need a spanking

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no, find some other form of punishment

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. if you smack your child, you are a bully!

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Bells Staff Member

Was in an argumentative mood. Been a bad couple of days.:bawl:

But yeah, smacking is the ultimate last resort when all else fails. So far we've been lucky I guess. He's only needed to be smacked once and it worked. But it's not something we relish doing and we'd never hit him to cause him pain. More the action of restraining him and the noise of the tap on his backside probably did more than anything else.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No military school is the ultimate last resort. For some kids their parents just can't fix them, a staff of drill sargent that they know does not love them on the other hand can work wonders! Turns them into highly respectable adults, one of my grandfather blamed military school for his unwavering use of manners, his PhD and status as a geochemist and his ability to sleep while marching.

Spanking is not about causing pain, pain is simply the consequence, spanking is about teaching a child that they "just cross the line", and that they will seriously regret doing it again. Many parents send their kids to military and boarding schools, and the kids are going to be in a lot of pain, but the parents aren't doing it to cause their kids pain.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Bells, no, no one seemed to be around to rescue me. How do you explain that kind of thing to your grandmother? I was even convinced for a long time that I was wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I agree. Thankfully my kids are young and have yet to display the kind of behaviour that would make military school or boarding school something we would consider for them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Abusive parents often manage to make their children think that they, the children, are wrong. That they somehow deserved it. And no one could blame you for not having spoken out to your grandmother. You were a child and others should have spoken up for you. The adults around you failed you because they did nothing to help you. And that is the tragedy that happens in a lot of abuse cases. People often turn a blind eye or look away altogether.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't assault my children. If its illegal to do it to an adult, why isn't it illegal to do it to a child, who is half the size or smaller than an adult? If you start with other forms of punishment when they are young, you won't be seeing them on Maury.

I have smacked my daughter, but it was a reflex.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not all child respond well to non-violent punishment. It legal because its a child: children are different under the law then adults, children can't drink alcohol, but adults can, children can't vote, but adults can, children can't be protected from a parent that gives them a mild whack now and then, but adults can.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But adults decide to drink and vote. A child doesn't decide to get a spanking. Its done to them.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

An adult does not decide to pay taxes either, nor does an adult decide to be drafted. But usually adults are given choices, child aren't because they are children.

12. Otaku Registered Member

depends if your mum is hot or not.
    i personally think its bad. for no other reason then i can't be bothered arguing with you guys

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I just looked at that. My autonomic nervous system is messed up now from the sheer amount of rage it caused me.

I agree with Asguard:

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

You do know that Landover Baptist is a joke site?

But I do like the idea of advance pain research, for example a shock collar for kids.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No, I didn't know it was a joke site.

Fuck, I'm such an ASD moron.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Come on? Serious? Landover baptist has been around for years, they even made a spoof of the white houses web page.

17. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

It SO isn't fake. How the Hell do you think Sister Mary feels about you besmirching her good name?

Listen, if I hadn't have heard this useful tip
    and followed the link my son might still be buggering other men as we speak!

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think it depends on the child. You can't generalize what is the best way to raise a child, when you don't know the child. Some children don't respond to punishment regardless of what kind it is. It may have nothing to do with the parents, but it is the child's own personality. In cases like that "grounding" or "spanking" won't be all that effective. Some children respond very well to punishment and don't work well off the rewards system (such as myself). And for some kids you can use both techniques. Spanking reminds them not to do things that are "wrong" and praise reminds them to do things that are "good". There's no reason that you can't do both. I work with kids and I can tell you first hand that they are all very different and don't respond to the same techniques. Time outs work for some kids and for some kids it makes them worse. Handing out candy for being good works for some kids and for some kids it makes them act worse, so it really depends on the child. I can't condemn spanking because I know that dealing with some kids out there is beyond human comprehension.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

HAHA, See I'm not the only one with this CRAZY notion that every child is different, perhaps those of us who have had to work with a wide range of children aren't CRAZY, perhaps we are enlightened, and its the parents with their handful of usually genetically similar kids who are ignorant thinking that all kids think alike or that all kids are like their little rugrats and thus that have a god given right to give out advice on how to raise kids and that one form of punishment is superior and another can be made total taboo, perhaps...

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Yes, I know people forget that their kids are not all kids. Your childhood is not all childhoods. We are different in our personalities and behaviors. I want to tie up some of the kids that I take care of and lock them in the closet (I did do that once. He was so bad). I really sympathize with their parents. Some people say ignoring your child when they are crying is neglectful and bad parenting, but I do it all of the time with some kids because they are criers and there isn't anything wrong with them they are just crying.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Exactly, see some parents think it wrong, other right, what they both don't understand is some kids are crying because they are hurt, others are crying because they want attention and the latter need to be taught that is not acceptable behavior.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cutsie. Assuming thats true how do YOU deal with having your range of punishments limited?

After all you work in child care so would have alot more kids than a parent to deal with AND if you touch the child at all thats assult. So how do you control those kids?