$ to invest

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Islamsmylife, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Islamsmylife Registered Senior Member

Out of curisoity I'd like to know what some think the best investments would be for the following amounts.

500 dollars
    1000 dollars
    10000 dollars
    30000 dollars

The reason I ask is because I'll look to invest the following amounts gradually within this year.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Are you a gambling person, I mean do you mind taking risks? Are you looking for safe investments with low yields or risky investments with high yields? Is this money something you can afford to lose or is it part of your savings account?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Islamsmylife Registered Senior Member

If there is anytime when I can afford to lose is now. Single eith no kids so I'll take the figh risk chances now. What do you have in mind.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Stocks would be the way to gamble with the amounts you have to invest.

8. Why? Registered Senior Member

The best investments use leverage. There is no leverage in stocks, unless you buy stock options. However, investing in the stock market is the same as gambling. Your amounts are so small, however, I don't see you finding any decent leveraged investments, except perhaps you could put a down payment on real estate with the $30,000.00. Your best bet is to buy a home.

9. RajenBP Registered Member

First, pay off high interest debt.

Second, if you have a business, or some sort of need or want of an education I would invest in that. I always say the best investment is in yourself. Some useful classes that could be productive in your career or something.

Next:
    IRA, ESA, HSA, or save the cash to spend and instead maximize my 401k contribution because I won't need my salary for a few weeks, because of the big windfall.

The money in the tax free accounts should go into passive investments. I recommend the broad based VIPERs from Vanguard VTI and VEU. Additionally, they offer a REIT. (Use a low cost internet broker like Zecco or Scottrade.)

Barring all of that,

30K is almost enough to buy some real estate with a mortgage, which you could rent out. Additionally, you could buy some passive investments in taxable accounts. The other amounts aren't really enough to do anything like that, so I would put in a taxable account in passive investments.

I'm an investing student of Bogle and Malkiel.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

$500 - one hooker
    $1000 - 2 hookers
    $10000 - a long weekend in vegas with one hooker
    $30000 - buy a car and leave Las Vegas

11. Islamsmylife Registered Senior Member

The thing about stock is that I need to do a lot of research which means a lot of time and thats something I dont have. I was thinking about getting a financial advisor and paying him a few to throw my couple of grand in mutual funds that he trusts. What do you think?

12. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

That is not a safe bet in the slightest.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The mutual funds aren't that great. It is better to take the time yourself and find stocks on your own to invest in rather than throw away money to someone else who is just going to take a chance anyway with your money. Better off you lose it yourself rather than having someone else to blame. If you can't take the time then stay away from stocks. The real estate would be better for you if you know where to buy and when. Good luck.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

What kind of return would you be happy with? Let's say 10-15%? Most mutual and hedgefunds actually underperform the market (meaning you are better off by being long SPY).

Also what timeperiod do you want to invest? (how long you don't need the money?)

Safe bets are energy, water, gold. I have more ideas, but let's first see your answers...

15. Islamsmylife Registered Senior Member

I dont have an exact term percentage that I'm looking for but basically I want to invest in what ever will give me the largest return considering the time.
    The time frame is around 10-15 years I want to invest the 10 grand into something long term but while I'm saving for the 30 grand (by next year I'll hopefully reach that mark). The 30 grand might go to real estate but the 10 I want that to sit somewhere for about 10-15 years and grow. Thats my money to play with. If I see something that works I'll put more into it.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Blue chip stocks are a good long term investment. Real Estate also is a good choice but be certain as to where you buy and when as I have stated before.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Things to think about:

Generally, the bigger the return, the riskier the investment is. Safe but low return investment are CDs and government bonds. (4-5%)The stock market's annual average over decades is around 8% but including bad years. Last year for the S&P was only 3.5%, so you were better off by leaving your money safely in a CD. If you or your advisor is able to play a few times during the year and time the turns of the market, the return can be higher signifficantly. But that is a big IF.

Also generally people who invest for the longer run depending on how far is their retirement might consider riskier investments, because they still have time to make up for a few bad steps. Older people closer to retirement tend to be more conservative.

Timing is everything. Even picking a MF or HF (hedgefund) it is really like picking a stock. Most mutual funds after 3-4 good years going to have 1-2 bad, so statistically speaking it is better to pick a fund with a recent bad performance. Keep in mind that MOST HFs underperform (!!!) the market.

Personally I expect the markets to go sideways or down in the next 2-3 years, so I wouldn't be just long without any kind of timing. For example last year the S&P index was up 10% by mid-July just to lose it all back in a month, but rallying up another 10% in the next 2 months!! So timing those rallies a good investor could have ended up with 20%, instead of 3.5%...

HFs charge you a fee even if they don't give you any return. I am not sure how personal advisers work, some of them might charge you only if there is a positive return.

Investing is not easy. If it were, everybody would be rich. I would say play safe with the bigger amount and you can try something risky with the 10K.
    If you have time and you are willing to do your homework, there are websites where you can let others handle your money. It is a case of trust and again, how you pick the right adviser....

18. RajenBP Registered Member

Investing is easy as long as you're willing to accept you probably won't beat the market.

Google Index Funds Advisors and Vanguard Mutual Funds to start learning.

I recommend broad based low fee index funds.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is not that hard. Just be long SPY stocks and you are AT LEAST where the market is. A simple moving average strategy can elp to get you out of the long position at meltdowns...

20. Businesswiz Registered Senior Member

21. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

:shh:I have a magic number disguised as a bank account 545843574365785-555.
    pop ot in there thats what i would do.

if you were in the restaurant buisness, I could help you open a buisness in France for the Japanese and americans on golfing holidays but in my buisness you never go into it with people from outside the trade as they do not understand the etiquette or artistry involed, especaily in dealing with the japanese and the french. I was the first non-french head chef for continental de croissiere in 30 years . LE PREMIERE CHEF DE CUISINIERE DANS LE MONDE, COMPRIS. JE SUIS LE GRANDE POISSON.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Restaurant is a tough business. The profitratio is very low, like 5% and competition can be strong...

23. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I think thats because a lot of people without experience think it's chic to open restaurants,no experience=no knowledge=no ideas.All the finest and most profitable restaurant's in the world are owned by chef's who are unique in their art form, as they are unique people will travel and people will pay.

Give me 4 1/2 hours experiencing sensory heaven in sight,tastes,smell and sound combined with the feeling that you are eating food made for the emperor of the sun himself. then thats investment(don't invest in what you don't know). spend the same 500 euro's on 1hr with a hooker there's no comparison.

restaurants are run by chef's not buisness men.
    Picture's are painted by artist's not banker's