To Better Understand The Theist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by geeser, Nov 22, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Evolution just is. It has no direction or meaning.

We could still become extinct by environmental changes we ourselves induce (this includes disease, weapons, climate changes etc) or due to natural changes we cannot forsee or overcome. All our persistence indicates is that we have genetic diversity sufficient to withstand the effects of environmental pressures.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Yes, and?
    It still stands that influence is vastly different from predetermination, and with great influence, we still have free will.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Only the illusion of it. We are all slaves to our nucleotide sequences. e.g. What if what we decide (free will) is determined by our CNV (copy number variation)? Where then, free will?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm not getting into this one yet again.
    I'll let someone else field this.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh has this been done before? Could you let me know?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to do quoted search phrases on the search page on this site yet - I can't search for "free will".

I can, however, offer results for predetermined and predetermination and you can sift through those results.

You can, however, skim through these 6,570 threads that resulted in a Google search of the site for the words "free will" in a post.

Wish I could have been more of a help.
    Good luck.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That has nothing to do with upholding your argument, our species has not slaughtered itself, you've killed no one lately, have you? According to you, it should be a daily event.

But it will most likely be the willingness to cling to false ideologies that will eventually do us in, lest we make drastic changes.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Killing is a daily event, don't you watch the news? And not everyone is subject to the same environmental pressures, which is why we have genetic diversity.

Whining is very unattractive in a grown man.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Please explain how 'environmental pressures' cause more or less killing?

It would appear far more evident, as in hard evidence, that daily killing is more prevalent in societies wrought with false ideologies, like Islam, for example.

How disengenuous and immature of you to consider alternatives that would help mankind to survive as whining.

But, it's not surprising to see those responses from you when you're cornered and have nothing to say.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean in places with less education and less exposure to science and technology and hence more vulnerable to exploitation and fear from those with more education and greater exposure to S&T?

This explains why such places also have higher birth rates, right?

I had no idea mankind was in danger of extinction. Don't you mean provide people with equal opportunities for better lives?

No fear of that, ever.

14. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

How is ideological tension not an environmental pressure?
    On a similar note, notice that murder is fairly uncommon in places like the Bible Belt, where a "false ideology" is overwhelmingly prevalent. Only when two or more such ideologies conflict with each other, as in Iraq, does bloodshed break out.

I see no guarantee that knowledge of the truth would stop people killing each other. Why, if you happen to be an emotional individual, the truth may lead to the opposite.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You conveniently didn't answer the question, hence did not back up your emotionally charged claim. Hot air.

False ideologies must be removed first if equal opportunities are to become a reality.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Huh? The bible belt of the US has the highest crime rates in the country, pal. Where ya been?

17. Adstar Valued Senior Member

You simply are unable to understand. your logic is your prison.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

18. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Right, since that's comparable to the sectarian violence in Iraq.