Tipping over

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Vkothii, Jun 21, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

ok Enmos, you are walking in a Netherlands park and then after a while you notice a deer running to you, its' leg is broken, you fix it and notice a tire mark on it, knowing that an evil human did it...you feed the deer, care for it, the deer heals very well...you get very close with the deer, as to let it inside your house.

But then one day you are in middle of intersection and there are two speeding cars racing against each other on two sides against the traffic light...

there is your deer who you love and care so much in middle of intersection and there is a man walking with his stick, you have time to save either the deer or the man...

who do you save?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Probably the human. But i wouldn't take the deer into my house, and get attached to it. Wild animals belong in the wild.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Enmos you are just trying to be accepted in our human-preference ideologies...because you are afraid or retribution from us humans, supreme rulers of the universe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I admit that part of my reasons for saving the man instead of the deer would be law and what other humans would think of me.
    But most of all, I am hardwired to look out for my own species more that for other species.

8. draqon Banned Banned

....yeaahhh, thats not what you were saying just not long ago

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm trying to overcome my innate irrationalities

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

You guys look like you're getting lost in a metaphorical hypothetical moralistic forest of some kind.

All this talk about evil isn't going to stop the planet from wiping out half the human population. How evil is that?
    Sounds "bad" to me, at least for the ones who get buried or drowned or dehydrated or whatever.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I agree, again. Although, it's not really the planet doing that, it's us.
    How come we agree on things all of a sudden ? lol

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Your thinking is seriously flawed. The scenario you describe could never occur. If humans fuck up the planet badly enough, they may well fuck themselves over and, perhaps, whatever species we happen to be sharing the earth with at the time. But, ultimately, the earth will regenerate itself as it has from previous mass extinctions.

So the idea of killing all the humans to save the planet is utterly absurd and, well, evil. Life will continue on the earth no matter what we do. We ourselves may or may not continue; but the earth can take care of itself, it does not require your genocidal protection.

13. Vkothii Banned Banned

So, there's nothing evil about the planet "getting rid of" humans, but humans doing it to themselves is evil?

The defining of "evil" is a survival tactic. There really isn't any such thing.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The planet is not conscious. It has no will. Therefore it can be neither good nor evil. Should mankind go extinct, it wouldn't be due to the good or evil desires of the earth itself.

Humans, on the other hand, do have will. They are conscious. They are responsible for their actions and can choose good or evil.

Perhaps you lack the moral courage to define anything as "good or evil"; but I'll go out on a limb and say a wish for the death of all humans is evil.

15. Vkothii Banned Banned

Ok, so instead of a wish for the death of all humans, how about a prediction that will mean something close to: "the death of all humans", or at best a serious change in our circumstances, and unavoidable conflict over dwindling resources?

What if someone says: "this is a warning", or: "guess what? The Earth doesn't really give a flying fart about you guys", say.

I mean, like how other animals in a similar predicament end up, just for argument's sake.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

We are different from other animals. We can think. We have free will. We may well think our way out of the predicaments you believe will be our undoing. Nanotechnology, solar power, fusion, bio-tech. Who knows what the future may hold. We may well look back on our present concerns over dwindling oil supplies and excess carbon discharges as evidence of how backward we once were.

17. Vkothii Banned Banned

And all this is going to happen, like, next year?

Or next decade, or the one after? Next century perhaps?

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't share your optimism, however, I do agree that killing all the humans to save the planet is utterly absurd.. but not because it wouldn't work.
    If the greenhouse effect gets severe enough it may become a self-amplifying process. While some bacteria might survive, it wouldn't quite be the same..
    Even if it doesn't come this far, the destruction of the environment to the point that most of the organisms become extinct is something I consider to be evil.. more so than killing all the humans.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You just don't see the big picture.. the greater good

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes Homo sapiens is so fantastically superior. So superior in fact that we may eradicate ourselves in the process of being so superior.
    The biggest problem of mankind is it's God complex.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Whatever the future holds, hydrogen is a real alternative today and tomorrow. If we don't try something then we won't ever know now , will we?

22. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

This is one of the most scarey outcomes of the brainwashing of society about the "human caused" global warming.
    People literally talking about eliminating the human race to "save the Mother Earth".
    This psychotic thinking is even WORSE than wars in the past in the name of religious fanatacism. Seriously.

I'm all for a clean environment and getting off the oil kick, but this psycho bull shit that the
    Earth is on the edge of distruction, and it's "all humanity's fault" is nothing less than
    bull shit propoganda.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Your morals are seriously fucked up. Even an ant has the good sence to value ant life above all other.
    Come on now, the Permian-Triassic extinction killed 95% of all species on earth, yet it recovered. The Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction killed the dinosaurs. There have been multiple mass extinctions on this planet and yet it has always recovered. You think releasing a bit more CO2 is worse than the multiple asteroid impacts, ice ages, and volcanos that have plagued the earth in the past? Really? How about when the moon crashed into the earth? Is driving an SUV worse than 2 worlds colliding?