Time Travel is Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by Farsight, Feb 17, 2014.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Occams razor??
    And it certainly is not positing one single FoR. I havn't a clue how you misconstrued that from what I said.
    All it says, is time will continue to flow in any and all models and topographical shapes I have mentioned.
    It's that simple.
    What Farsight is claiming about time stopping at the EH, maybe true, but no FoR ever sees that happening.
    The rest of your passive aggressive nasty little post will remain uncommented on.
    Suffice to say, I will remain as diligent and zealous as ever with unsupported claims, alternative theories, pseudoscience and conspiracies pushers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

No

The clock is based on atomic clock , which has a cause , a cesium clock for example , which time is measured by atomic transitions

Your specific movements have time because of your actions and just as the atomic clock has cause , atomic transitions have cause by the Nature of the atom , so do your actions

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Undefined Banned Banned

Sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Absolute motion occurs. So, just as GRAVITY absolutely affects clock timing rate processes and the measures/standards we choose for clock and compare to other cocks/processes in different states, similarly MOTION which CAN be measured/quantified to BE ABSOLUTE, can be related to clock timing processes used FOR measuring that motion. The question of whether LINEAR motion is absolute also IF one has a UNIVERSAL energy-space FoReference, is still an open question for the professional theories, since said PARTIAL theories are still not complete and totally authoritative on that question. That's all I wanted to caution everyone about before finalizing their own 'absolute' views on any issue whose proper understanding ultimately depends upon when a final understanding of this MOTION/TIME issue is put to bed properly (the amateurs already have done; the professionals are slowly creaking their way around to doing same, eventually [ Hi Maxila!...I trust you are doing well? ] )

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Maybe you are not understanding me properly so I'll say it slower and break it down a little for you:

You said:
    If you add anything more or less you've abused your own definition.

You say time is a measure of any object's movements from point A to point B. I asked you what happens to my clock if I sit in a chair and remain there?

8. river

Nothing

9. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So to clarify, you say that if my clock reads 12:01:17 when I look at it, that it doesn't change while I keep looking at it if I stay at point A?

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

10. river

No

The time on the clock will change

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

OH! So it does change if I stay at point A. So no movement occurred and yet the time changed, so time elapsed even though there was no movement from point a to point b??

12. Undefined Banned Banned

Can you not for once drop the "conspiracy" paranoia comments, paddo, and just concentrate on the science matter at hand? Thanks.

Anyhow, no Occams Razor can be invoked in the case of BIG BANG scenarios whose very intializing/'beginning' event/state cannot be yet 'professionally' discerned from 'creation myth' type imaginary universal contexts. There is nothing for Occams Razor to work on when the 'beginnings' of an HYPOTHEcated universe aren't even in the picture.

And the necessity for a singular absolute universal frame of reference is INHERENT in YOUR 'static universal space-time' universal OPTION of 'shape/state' where nothing moves or is differentiated in any way. Hence the need for some self-referential FoR 'time/timing' philosophical concept in that option, and any option which purports to have 'time passing' PHILOSOPHICALLY irrespective of any lower level event-differentiation-based RELATIVE time/Timing processes required which are Frame-dependent, not "philosophical' as your concept fundamentally boils down to when logically examined even under Occam's Razor minimal assumptions set.

PS: You keep saying you "will not comment" on others personally directed comments/observations, but you keep DOING SO and so force me to ask you to desist! Please don't make all those cluttering personal comment posts, and you won't get any requests for lessening your personal posts cluttering from me. Deal?

13. river

Yes

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

MD, entropy increases with time.

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

COOL!!! Now change you previous statement, because you said time is a measure of movement from point A to point B. Zero movement occurred and yet time was greater than zero, so your statement is false. If your statement was true then time would be zero when movement was zero.

16. Undefined Banned Banned

Careful, river, MD.

The 'timing' PROCESSES of the clockworks DID 'changed'. There was STILL motion, else there would BE no 'clock' OR 'timing RATE/cumulative measure' for that clock TO 'show' on its dial/register. You are both correct, but from different points of departure/arrival. Motion internally and motion externally are BOTH needed for any time/timing information/FoR to exist/compare between standard and studied motion/event PROCESSES.

17. river

Agreed

It would be the same as a thought experiment that if you stilled the Universe as a whole , NO movement and the measure of time would cease to be possible

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Careful, we are not measuring the internal motion of the clock. We are measuring the distance I travel from point A to point B, and the time it takes me to do that.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If by the stilling of the Universe you mean, no expansion of space/time, then time would continue to flow, just as entropy would continue to pass.

20. river

You don't understand "stilling "

The stilling of the Universe , is the stilling of the macro and the micro and sub-micro aspects of the Universe , period

No exceptions

21. Undefined Banned Banned

Yes, I already noted the context. The point is that the clock and you are two mutually exclusive 'events', Whether you move through space or not (which is always an assumption, since there is no such thing as absolute rest, especially for a Motor Daddy, hey!

The clocks innards MOVE and the timing rate accordingly ticks off and accumulates ' iteration counts' of its internal motion clocking-suitable cycles. Meanwhile the comparison to YOUR motion/translations/changed PROCESS is noted and compared to the clock standard/count for the duration/rate of YOUR changes/process compared to that clock's. For example your own BIOLOGICAL internal processes are AGING you. You can't stand still in this reality, MD. That is just a philosophical gedanken 'state' for the sake of imaginary philosophical/hypothetical scenarios.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No timing processes, either clocks or biological are seen to slow down from a local FoR, in that local FoR...PERIOD!

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I certainly do understand "stilling"
    I just see it as an unrealistic concept.....If the Universe exists, macro and micro processes will automatically take place

Experiments continue to show that there is no 'space' that stands apart from space-time itself...no arena in which matter, energy and gravity operate which is not affected by matter, energy and gravity. General relativity tells us that what we call space is just another feature of the gravitational field of the universe, so space and space-time can and do not exist apart from the matter and energy that creates the gravitational field. This is not speculation, but sound observation.