Time Travel is Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by Farsight, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Farsight

Yep. The world is full of quacks who know f*ck-all physics and haven't got the guts to take me on. Care to have a pop? Naw, didn't think so.

Beat it, timewaster.

Why thank you Motor Daddy. I don't know if you've ever read about Einstein "playing detective" and going back to first principles. I have. I like to think some of it rubs off on you.

Oooh, you are getting warm. No, I would have made it to school "on time" if everything had gone slower, not just me. Only then we would have called it... time dilation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So you're saying if your house and the school went slower you would have made it on time? So it's not really your little sister's fault, is it? It's not her fault that she made it to school when the bell rang but you didn't. Why would you try to blame your little sister for your mistakes? I bet you even told your teacher that it was your sister's fault, eh? What did you tell the teacher when she asked why you were late? That she was moving too fast that day? How did that go over with her?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

And then for the ones who played that game until it got boring they just put him on ignore.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Farsight

No. If the clock went slower, and the teacher went slower, and the Earth went slower, and light went slower, and everything went slower and not just me, then I would have made it on time.

Dink a dink a ding a ding a dingle dingle ding.

Hark. I think I hear the sound of a penny dropping.

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

How would a clock go slower, and if it did go slower, slower than what? Do you have a standard rate at which a clock runs to make statements about slow and fast clock rates?

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I was about to say the same thing.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Hell no it is a waste of time. Everytime you post one of your ideas you get crushed but you are so deluded about your abilities that you can't even see it. You think you are dazzling people with your intellect when in fact anyone with any sort of science education finds you arrogant and ignorant - which is no way to go through life.

11. Farsight

Than another clock at a higher elevation. See this interview with David Wineland of NIST. See where he says this:

"...nowadays the precision of the clocks is such that we have to worry, when we compare clocks, if one clock in one lab is 30 centimeters higher than the clock in the other lab, we can see the difference in the rates they run at..."

Nope.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not completely, no.

Nor can you fault the work of Hawking, Alcubierre, Tipler etc. Thus I will go with them for now rather than you. No offense, they just have a lot more credibility.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Excellent! Another relativity denial thread by Motordaddy! Can't get enough of em.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Time travel of course is theoretically possible, at least to the future. To the past is a different kettle of fish...but again not impossible.

All we need to do is discover new physics to enable us to travel at luminal and superluminal speeds......
    Or discover a method by which we can warp, curve and manipulate space/time to achieve the desired effect of FTL travel or thereabouts.
    The third option is finding and/or being able to create wormholes.

An example of possible time travel is as follows.....
    One person of a set of twins decides to take off on his/her relativistic space ship and travels at 99.999%c for six months, before making a U turn and returning back to Earth at exactly the same 99.999%c.
    He returns obviously 12 months older and with all onboard clocks showing that 12 months have passed.
    But surprise!!!. When he lands and alights from his ship, he finds his sibling twin long dead and buried and an Earth 225 years later.
    [For the sake of simplicity acceleration and deceleration phases have been ignored]

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So he is saying the clock at a higher elevation is running at a different rate at a different elevation. Remember the laser and tower example I gave? If a clock is at a higher elevation it has a greater distance to travel in 1 rotation of the earth. The clock is always inline with the tower and the center of the earth at all times, but it's further away from the center of the earth at a higher elevation, which means the path it travels in one day is longer than the path a lower elevation clock travels in 1 day. So what's your point?

Oh, so you have no idea if a clock is running "faster" or "slower."

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If time travel to the past is possible and can be achieved, the obvious paradoxes that some throw up I don't believe would exist anyway.
    All one would do is create another time line, that branches off from the exact moment, that an incident occurred to change a known future.
    Space/time is real.....GP-B illustrated that point with incredible high degree of accuracy.......and that's the way mainstream cosmology accepts it.

17. Farsight

You don't understand any of it. It's just Emperor's New Clothes, isn't it?

I can fault their work. I explained the problems with Hawking radiation here and elsewhere. It totally ignores gravitational time dilation. It requires magic to get energy from inside the black hole to a location outside. It employs pair production to create a particle and an antiparticle, but the radiation is photons not electrons or positrons. And it demands negative-energy particles which don't exist. I could do the same sort of thing for Alcubierre and Tipler. But if you don't want to understand because you'd rather stick with stuff you don't understand, I can't help you to understand anything.

Note that I'm the one who's with Einstein here. I'm the one who quotes him. I'm the one who roots for relativity. Now read that OP, and when you agree with it, say so.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I don't believe too many are taking too much notice of the crap that is being spewed forth.
    Like I said a hundred times, all these would be's if they could be's do not have the Intestinal fortitude to get their nonsense peer reviewed.
    All we can do is grin and bare their rantings and ravings....These forums are all they have.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Albert would be cringing in his grave at your audacious nonsensical remark....Nothing is further from the truth.
    Again have you peer reviewed any of your nonsensical interpretations?

No, I don't really expect an answer, you lack the intestinal fortitude for that.

20. Farsight

Groan. You haven't even read the OP. One twin could just sit in a freezer for 225 years. It isn't time travel. There is no "time travel to the future". That's why time travel to the past is woo. And you believe in it!

Oh yeah! Easy peasy!

Yep.

Your laser and tower example is irrelevant. A clock runs slower when its lower even when the planet isn't rotating.

Nope. Not until you've got another clock to compare it with.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I beiieve in GR...
    And your freezer analogy is like the rest of your claims...nonsense...It does not even apply.

Albert also said time is like the flowing of a river, with eddies, whirlpools and such [or words to that effect]
    Not easy, no, but neither is any form of time travel......
    It's going to take progress, technological achievements, Innovation, Imagination, and possibly new physics.
    But all in all, GR does not forbid time travel by any of the methods I have raised.

22. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

There are two ways to define the change of entropy of a system:

(1) in terms of a systems temperature and the energy a system gains or loses as heat
    (2) by counting the ways in which atoms or molecules that make up a system can be arranged

If Farsight doesn't like the way in that time is measured, let him trash an electron microscope in favor for one that uses a single string of a Planck length to investigate deeper into nature and maybe devise a new theory. I'm sure he'd be all smiles.

23. Farsight

Chuckle.

Paddoboy: you believe in woo that you don't understand, along with a popscience kiddie version of general relativity that is nothing like Einstein's original. Now if you won't read the OP and attempt to understand it and point out where you think it's wrong, if you're just going to yell your woo from the sidelines, you and I are done. You've got until the morning to shape up, otherwise like Beer w/Straw, you're on ignore.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014