Time is NOT the 4th dimension...

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by stateofmind, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

So then space and time are the same that way, right? You can't have a piece of time nor a piece of length.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

no piece of time , no piece of space length

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pmb Banned Banned

I see. Thanks. That’s consistent with how dictionaries like Merriam-Webster define it. E.g. see - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physically

In this sense physical means having a material existence. The problem with this is things like time, distance, magnitude, rotation, energy, temperature etc. while not being physical are still widely used concepts. So it really makes no difference in physics whether you think of them as immaterial or not. Just make sure that it’s not confused with a phenomena that exists, such as time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

time is a " phenomena " ? how so ?

8. pmb Banned Banned

If you prefer to rephrase it to read something like time is that which is used to desdcribe certain phenomena such as motion then that's fine. I prefer to think of it as the phenomena itself. Read that link I gave above, i.e. http://users.wfu.edu/brehme/time.htm . That's why I posted it there, to clarify all of this.

At this point its all semantics and I've never been interested in arguements like that.

9. river

good , because that is essentially what time is

define what you mean

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As stated earlier, time is the rate of change, and is the 4th dimension of space/time.
    Hawking says we have three arrows of time in his famous book, A Brief History of Time....
    Cosmological arrow: This can be defined as the direction in which we see the Universe expanding rather then contracting......
    Thermodynamic arrow: The direction in which entropy increases...
    Psychological arrow: The direction we feel time passing, and why we remember the past but not the future....
    The Psychological arrow and the Thermodynamic arrow both necessarilly point in the same direction, which is also the same direction as the cosmological arrow.

11. river

what has this got to do with my above quote ?

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

....You're trying too hard and as a result are seeing things that are not really there, and as a result, being rather delusional.
    Time could also be said to be that which separates events......while space is that which separates mass/energy.......If we had no time, everything would happen together....if we had no space, everything would be together....
    Hope that helps.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The point is space exists, time exists, and together make up the four dimensional framework we call space/time, against which SR/GR operates.

14. river

That is shear non-sense , time separates nothing , it is movement by objects in the sub-atomic and the macro that separates things

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Time is that which separates events...That is fact....and logical common sense at its most basic. Or it could also be put in the way I did earlier...Time is the rate of change.
    Think about it.

16. river

So if time did not exist , does the rate of change to the Universe matter ?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

There wouldn't be any change.

18. river

Yes there would

To the Universe the rate of change does not matter

Movement does though

19. pmb Banned Banned

Not according to the entire physics community

20. river

Really , the entire physics community ...?

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, really - the entire GENUINE physics community!

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Again, if time did not exist, there would not be any change, either macro, or micro, and as dictated by the arrows of time, especially the thermodynamic and cosmological.

Time is the rate of change as illustrated by the cosmological and thermodynamic arrows of time.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  23. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

IOW time is the rate of increase of entropy(each frame has it's own rate), but in spacetime, time is also a distance you can see.