Time is a illusion, there's only...the now!

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by pljames, Apr 16, 2013.

1. pljames Registered Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Time is a illusion in our mind. We've been programmed to believe we live by time this and time that. But only in our mind and looking at a clock. Could the past present and future be all in the "Now"! Thoughts please? pljames

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A real stumper. The more I try to think of something original to say about this the more I sense that everything that can be said about it HAS been said about it. Let me stew over this a little longer. In the meantime, I offer this:

"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Albert Einstein

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ok..there's two senses in which time exists: as the past, present, and future, and as before and after. I am open to the former being a useful construct we have built to function socially within. But the latter seems more germain to the order of the universe. It assumes a fundamental sequentiality that underlies such basic processes as language, logic, mathematics, narrative, and causation. If this transition from before to after were just an illusion, then none of these processes we function within everyday would be legitimate. They would also be illusions. And I'm not ready to consign them to dubious status.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

True! Can I have your retirement savings?

8. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

My parents died in the PAST, I live in the NOW and in the FUTURE I plan on going to Spain to visit.

9. hansda Valued Senior Member

What is "now"?

10. rr6 Banned Banned

Now = 2D Slice-of-Time

Handsa, I thought brian Greene laid that out fairly clearly.

Think of a 3D sphere as a our finite Universe. Think of 2D great circle or elliptical that passes that is a slice of the sphere.

"Now" = 2D slice of our finite Universe.

Anticipation = the beginnings of me:shake:

Present = in the womb pondering ways to conquer the Universe:crazy:

Recall = the good ole days when my nutrients were pumped into me via my navel:yawn:

r6

11. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is a true statement.

Nothing happens at once. At once is not everywhere. Only light is everywhere and everywhere at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_time_and_space#Impact_of_special_relativity

12. rr6 Banned Banned

"Afterpiece"..( Fuller )

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/after/after.html

Fuller}...."The phenomenon lag is simply due to the limited mechanism of the brain.
    We have to wait for the afterimage in order to realize.

The norm of Einstein is absolute speed instead of at rest. "At rest" was what we called instantaneous in our innocence of yesterday. We evolute toward ever lesser brain comprehension lags__ergo, toward ever diminishing error; ergo, ever diminishing misunderstandings; ergo, ever diminishing fear, and its brain-lagging painful errors of objectivity; wherefore we approach eternal instantaneity of absolute and total comprehension.

The eternal instantaneity of no lag at all. However, we have now learned from our generalizations of the great complexity of the interactions of principles as we are disembarrassed of our local, exclusively physical chemistry of information-sensing devices__that what is approached is eternal and instant awareness of absolute reality of all that ever existed.
    All the great metaphysical integrity of all the individuals, which is potential and inherent in the complex interactions of generalized principles, will always and only coexist eternally........

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Einstein once wrote something like the following about time, which I think is very succinct and pretty much describes it.
    The above is not a quote: It is a paraphrase based on my not infallible memory. I Think it is from the preface to one of his books or essays on Relativity. I have read several articles containing very lengthy & confusing verbiage which did not seem to describe the concept of time any better than the above.

It is interesting that Albert used bold or italics for before & after, implying that they should be considered primitive terms, not definable via the use of simpler terms or concepts.

Note that an axiomatic system requires some undefined primitive terms to avoid various logical problems associated with circular definitions.

It is interesting that Albert did not mention the concept of the flow of time from past through the present into the future, which does seem to be a construct (illusion?) of the human mind rather than an objective process associated with reality.

14. rr6 Banned Banned

Speed-of-radiation constant to all observers is wierd

It is said, that, at speed-of-radiation, time stands still or not existent at all, or at least would appear that way.

So if speed-of-radiation is remains constant to all observers, and time is non existent at speeds-of-radiation, then the a 2D slice-of-Universe as might be equated with a 2D slice-of-time.

Ergo only the NOW exists at speed-of-radiation.

This may correlate with jacob Bekenstiens black hole mathematics and subsequent holgraphic scenarios that eventually led Jacob to make the following statement;

..."we appear to be 2D creatures haveing and illusion of 3D".....

If we take a 3D tetrahedron--- minimal 3D polyhedron of Universe ---and have one of its 4 nodal-vertexial events, go on a trajectory that passes through its diametrically opposite opening, we arrive at momentary place, wherein, the 4th nodal-vertexial event, is in the same 2D plane of the triangle ergo we have a subdivided 2D triangle.

Another way to view this, is to say that, we never had a 3D tetrahedron to begin with, rather what we had all along, was a subdivided triangle membrane, that extended its centrally located, 4th nodal-vertexial event, outside the plane as forward or obverse warping of the 2D triangular plane or 2D triangular membrane.

We can even go further with this whole 2D scenario and picture a geodesic spherical that is all triangles and some of those nodal-vertexial events are protruded inward-- ergo outside of the triangle plane ---while others protruded outward-- also outside of triangular plane --- and some staying existent as triangular plane.

o..oo..o

warps/bends as;

o.....o...o
    ....o.......

3D tetra(4)hedron always was or becomes 2D plane.

We do this same operation with a 2D triangle that becomes a 1D line.

o.......o
    .....o...

Here above is three events as the triangular set.

o...o...o

Here above the 2D triangle is now a linear 1D set, and we have followed a similar process as we did with the 3D tetrahedron becoming 2D subdivided triangular plane/membrane.

r6