Time for AGW deniers/doubters/skeptics to get real

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by James R, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I've seen that page before (in fact, I have it bookmarked because a certain someone plagiarised parts of it in a 'discussion' we once had).
    On the face of it, I'm not sure I agree with some of his conclusions, but I haven't really gone through it in depth to pick it to pieces, if you know what I mean?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Having said that,and bearing in mind that I'm an environmental chemist, so my approach is probably different.

He is routinely critical of the leaving out of water from the calculations, on the basis that water is a better GHG bla bla bla.

But, on the surface of that, it appears to me to be another example of a false thesis.

Consider this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Another graph showing much the same thing:

And another:

It indicates that in most of the bands that H[sub]2[/sub]O absorbs NIR, it's absorption already approaches 100%, so increasing the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere isn't neccesarily going to have a huge addon effect to the warming, purely because the water is already absorbing most of what it can.

This was the source of much of the debate between 1930, and 1950, was that the majority opinion was that water was already absorbing most of the radiation, and the bands overlapped, so there could be no warming. What changed, thanks to the cold war, was improved spectroscopes that confirmed the presence of the fine structure in the spectra (meaning that the overlap was not total, and there was more IR for the CO[sub]2[/sub] to absorb than had been previously budgeted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Something else that page seems to be ignoring.

The logic appears to be, that because CO[sub]2[/sub] is present in insignificant quantities, and human contributions are insignificant, therefore human contributions to global warming are insignificant.

But such logic ignores some basic points.
    Natural contributions are (at least as I understand it) approximately constant.
    Human contributions are increasing.
    The rate at which human contributions are increasing, is also increasing.

Consequently, everything else being equal (or accepted) we must, at some stage in the future reach a point where the two contributions become equal (naively when we reach 576ppm), after which point human contributions will dawrf natural ones.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Something else that page seems to be ignoring.

The logic appears to be, that because CO[sub]2[/sub] is present in insignificant quantities, and human contributions are insignificant, therefore human contributions to global warming are insignificant.

But such logic ignores some basic points.
    Natural contributions are (at least as I understand it) approximately constant.
    Human contributions are increasing.
    The rate at which human contributions are increasing, is also increasing.

Consequently, everything else being equal (or accepted) we must, at some stage in the future reach a point where the two contributions become equal (naively when we reach 576ppm), after which point human contributions will dawrf natural ones.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Something else to consider.
    The alleged lag that CO[sub]2[/sub], according to some sources, shows in relation to temperature, may in fact be, quite simply, an 'artifact'.

The air in ice pores remains 'in contact with the atmosphere' to some times quite substantial depths, until the point at which the bubble seals. How long the firn takes to get buried to that depth depends upon a number of factors. In the case of the vostok ice core (AFAI can tell, the most commonly cited ice core showing this), it's between 4000 and 6000 years, depending on climactic conditions. So if the first figure is the correct figure, then the snow that fell at the vostok station at the time that the ancestors of the Latins arrived in Italy, glass started making its appearance, horses were domesticated, and stone henge was completed, is still in contact with the atmosphere

Myth Busted?

9. Pasta Registered Senior Member

Poor analogy, since the Tobacco companies knew they were lying and rigged their own data.....kind of like.....the global warming scientists did !

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That's one step too ironic for me!

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Only you have yet to show even the slightest hint of mens rea.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I take this to mean that you are not in disagreement with the figures ?

There is another argument, that humans are responsible for increased acidity of seawater.
    Now, 0.28 % of the total CO2, could conceivably have a dramatic effect if the earth's climate were continually at a tipping point with regard to levels of CO2.
    But a dramatic effect on the ocean's Ph? No.

13. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Trippy, while I'm prepared to beleive that most of the researchers are honest, this article suggests that at least some of them aren't.

They appear to have inexplicably and essentially arbitrarily 'homogenised' the raw data, thus yielding a completely different trend.

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It means I haven't worke dthrough the figures in any great detail yet. These are, shall we say, my first impressions.

It's a natural consequence of a rising ppCO[sub]2[/sub]

Actually, yes. As I said, it's a natural consequence of a rising ppCO[sub]2[/sub].

The ocean is one of the earths largest carbon sinks, also one of the slowest to respond to changes. The change in pH is as a direct result of one of the dynamic equilibria that remove CO[sub]2[/sub] from the atmosphere.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

One thing that stands out to me about that article is the person that wrote it didn't check what was in the 6th data set (the one at the pub, 500km away). I mention this as being potentially important for two main reasons.

The first one being that the article quotes the method used, which involves comparing it to five other neighbouring stations, but there are only 5 stations in darwin, so a sixth one is required for the comparison to be done properly.

Second reason I mention it is that the climate models all use a 5°x5° grid. At the equator, 1° of latitude is somethign like 110 or 111km, so a station 500km away would/could be in the same grid square, and considered 'neighbouring'.

16. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

That is a good point but nevertheless I don't see how making the grid cells gigantic makes it valid to call two temperature stations that are 500 km apart 'neighbouring'.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Probably generally true, although you'd have to account for changes in vulcanism etc.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

The size of the grid cells isn't about making stations that are 500km apart 'neighbouring' it's about the complexity of the models.

As I understand it, a global model crunching a 5 by 5 grid takes something like 90 hrs, nearly 4 days. Doubling the size of the grid increases the computing time by a factor of about 8, so a 2.5x2.5 grid would take about 30 days to compute. The course grid (and such) is about limitations in technology, and limitations in funding - hence the question I asked BuffaloRoam at one stage if he was willing to pay additional taxes to fund better models and more research - I'm sure climatologists would love to receive funding for 720 hours of time on a super computer.

Neighbouring is a relative term - if they're in adjacent cells, or the same cell, they're neighbouring.

Earth and Mars are how many millions of km apart at any given time? And they're neighbouring planets because they're adjacent.

If you live in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest house is several km away they're still your neighbours. The concept of neighbour isn't just about physical proximity, it's also about adjacency.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Quite, however this from Meehl, G.A., W.M. Washington, C.A. Ammann, J.M. Arblaster, T.M.L. Wigleym and C. Tebaldi (2004). "Combinations of Natural and Anthropogenic Forcings in Twentieth-Century Climate". Journal of Climate 17: 3721-3727

(Courtosey of Wiki)

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Thanks. Looks pretty categorical to me. Greenhouse, ozone, solar. Not so much the vulcanism.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

On the Graph, the modelling matches the actual reasonably well during the years from about 1945 to 1975 when global temperatures were fluctuating and fell overall. Yet in these years Greenhouse Gas emissions were rising rapidly.

Shouldn't the graph have been wrong at this stage?

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Only if you buy into some of the Anti-AGW rhetoric that suggests that AGW proponents only consider GHG's, which is the point of posting the graph in the first place, it demonstrates that the models used in this paper can correctly account for the cooling observed between 1945 and 1975 even though CO[sub]2[/sub] grows rapidly during this time frame.

If you listen to, to pick on a specific example, BuffaloRoam, he will assert that AGW proponents only consider GHG forcings and ignore solar forcings, however, this graph trivially disproves that assertion by making that prediction (which was apparently due to the fact that during this period sulfate forcing exceeded GHG forcing, and the growth rate of sulfate forcing exceeded the growth rate of GHG forcing.

In fact, and rather ironically if you ask me, the models predict a more pronounced cooling trend than was actually observed during this period.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I think that I've misunderstood the graph.
    It's the forcing response which is graphed, not the amounts of each pollutant.
    So, the amount of sulphate, a cooling factor, would actually have been increasing, through the trend on the graph is down.

Is that right?
    Or am I still off the mark?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009