Time Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 14, 2006.

1. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

I am no expert but Quantum mechs postulates there is no absolute reality based on atom/ wave duality and other rules in the copahagen interpretation. However this does not mean certain ideas do not exist. Most ideas are based on their utility level, which permits me to say again that time exists. After all some non physical ideas like love exists. You want to detect a magnetic field you use a magnetic counter, you want to detect time you observe rate of energy or motion. The real question is not whether or not time exists but how important it is, because that is independent of its configuration and nature. Haven't heard of this Einstien Bose theory...But I guess it circulates the notion that time is a very relative idea

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. VitalOne Banned Banned

Here is what the Master taught Thoth (the Egyptian god deemed the knower of all) says:

"In the beginning, there was eternal thought, and for thought to be eternal, time must exist. So into the all-pervading thought grew the Law of Time. Aye, time which exists through all space, floating in a smooth, rhythmic movement that is eternally in a state of fixation. Time changes not, but all things change in time. For time is the force that holds events separate, each in its proper place. Time is not in motion, but ye move through time as your consciousness moves from one event to another. Aye, by time ye exist, all in all, an eternal One existence. Know ye that even though in time ye are separate, yet still are One in all times existent." Ceased then the voice of the Dweller, and departed I to ponder on time. For knew I that in these words lay wisdom and a way to explore the mysteries of time."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/erta.html
    http://users.pandora.be/vannoppen/science3.htm
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html
    hope im not too late with this. just a few examples garnered by a 20 second google search.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

I believe time exists because existence is not based on fabricated philosophies or physical presence, but on utility. In my life I have met many people but some of them I cannot even remember and they don't exist to me, perhaps because these people were of little benefit to me in terms of pleasure and company. Some manufactured products do not exist anymore and have been discontinued because they became less useful to consumers or fell victim to better ideas. Also in nature somethings and organisms still exists today because of their role in nature. Laws govern ideas, and because of this time is as real as can be.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so where do we stand here in simple english,

time is not a real force and dosent physically exist?

or time is a real force and does physically exist, ?

what is it then?

9. Facial Valued Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but do we have a synchronized definition of "exist" here?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

so where do we stand here in simple english,

what is it then?

Tap a pen or pencil rythmically on your knee, there, you just created time. You can't get any simpler than that.

11. dkb218 Banned Banned

Deep question.

Without time, would anything exist? And if something did exist, could it move?

How could you measure anything without time?

Time seems to be nothing more than a way to measure one instant to another. Is it a force that governs reality or does reality govern time?

It's all conjecture.

12. Anomalous Banned Banned

Time is relative, digital clock is relatively less accurate compared to cesium clock, Ribidium clock is much more accurate than cesium clock.

13. dkb218 Banned Banned

and a sun dial is less accurate than a cat on a hot tin roof. I don't get your point.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I understand that time is relative - a year on mars vs. a year on Venus. An object on earth vs. one moving at 400 times the speed of light.

I was under the impression that this thread questioned if time was real or not. I don't know but introducing clocks into it kinda makes the statment that time is real.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

My only post here, prior to this, was to show that time is just a convenient parameter, not real.

This post will demonstrate, that like all parameters, the T= 0 point can be shifted.

That is, I invite you to look at the first post "State of the Union Message" thread in the politics forum. - it was made before the speach was actually given, an example of shifting time. (When you read that post, you may notice some slight distortions.)

I hope this announcement is not too abusive of this forum, which does cover "ethics and social responsibility" according to the by-line under "science & society"

15. Anomalous Banned Banned

Exactly, that cat reacts according to the speed at which it can react to the heat regardless of how long it was on the hot tin.

Right, But that doesnt mean time is a dimension.

I am a nonbeliever of relativity , so spare me of it. But I do believe acceleration and gravity can affect the measure of time because we us atomic clocks, under heavy G forces the atoms of the atomic clocks will affect the reading, that dosent mean time actually slows down or speeds up. U got to get a massless clock.

The clocks are a root problem, they measure time but time is an illusion. Keep chicken in freezer and it doesnt rot because it confines the biomolecular activities that doesnt mean time is frozen. Freeze a atomic clock and U will learn that ....

PS> These are my presonal views.

16. dkb218 Banned Banned

Oh. Now I get your point. I loved the way you made the cat on a hot tin roof thingy seem, well, meaningful!

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

Yeah, right, It simply means that if we could speed fast all our atoms, then may be we will see everything happen in slow motion like in the Matrix movie, althought that wouldnt mean we have slowed time, its just that we will be fast,

So time for me is relative illusion.

18. duendy Registered Senior Member

years and years back when tender 15, i was give the tiniest little hafl of a tab of LSD. i went onto have more Trips, and one ofthe main insights i got. actually perceiving it, was of pople in the streets, cars,everywhere rushing frantically about like manic androids. not seeming to look right or left but focused on 'getting somewhere', whilst i, in my ecstatic state was in another dimension altogther. where time was more organic and alive

now. pre-takin LSD i had read nothin philosophicy or mystical or anything heavy. i was rather in aphase of reading Pan Horror books......so what i am meaning is that this insight was from 'innocence' or was primal. i was seeing the actual mindset of modern civilization rushin rushin about....

theother night, i saw tis great docu. about the Romantic poets, William Blake, Wordsworth, John Clare, etc. the programme began shoing the City. it showed miserable-looking grim faced people macically rushing about in linear directions, and overliad on tis was CLOCKS. the filmakers was showing hw moder life is dictated by the clock.

it compared this oppressive environemt wit whats been lost. the times of being close to the land, where ORGANIC sense of time prevailed. and ll that was savagely taken away with such terrible events as when Industrial Revolutions arrives in countryside and snatches common land away from people, and puts up 'np trepass' signs everywhere, leves it, crushes all the wonder and beauty and meanih and freedom of movement

so what i am trying to say is that this is why questions like tis threa happen. we are aware of this oppression, and we should be. we are OPPRESSED by the time-makers

19. loophole Registered Senior Member

chi what you are asking for is proof for the existence of what causes time, time dilation is real and measurable but only an effect, scientists have measured time dilation effects on Muon particles, but what is the cause of this time dilation, nobody actually knows, there is only theories.

We know that the faster something travels the more time is dilated, we also know that time dilation can be caused by Gravity.

There is a theory of what causes time to exist, I will try to explain as I understand the theory although I may be incorrect as I am not a physicist, I just have an interest in the subject

The cause of time as the theory goes is due to a seperate dimension consisting of particles of time called temporons which when we are at rest moves through our dimension at the speed of light which causes the effect of time as we see it when we are at rest. These particles of time move through our dimension in one direction (which we cannot comprehend as our brains cannot visualise higher dimensions) in a sort of timeline.

As an object in our dimension moves closer to the speed of light in the same direction as the temporon particle timeline (whatever direction you move in our dimension you always move in the one direction in the temporon particle dimension), the difference in speed between the object and temporons is less, the temporons are moving through the object slower, causing time to slow down.

When you reach the speed of light you are moving at the same speed as the temporons therefore no temporons pass through you and time stops.

If you move faster than the speed of light then you catch up temporons and theoretically reverse time.

Here is a link to a good powerpoint presentation on the subject
    www.asknlearn.com/personal/S8926388C/ON TIME.ppt

Even if this theory is totally rubbish it satisfies me to know that if only theoretical, time can be explained

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yes,

but heres the thing, everything can be explained without a mention of time,
    the universe and everything in existance can exist fine without even involving the concept of time,

just because everything dosent happen all at once in the same exact moment, and there is a flow of events, it doesnt mean there has to be a dimension/force that we call time,

i throw a ball it takes 5 seconds to hit the ground, the earth moves around the sun, it takes 365 days we call it a year, its all numbers and measurements, just because planets revolve and light travels at a certain speed, it dosent mean time exists,

you say "we know time exists we just dont know what causes time" thats not true really if you think about it, we dont even know if time itself is fact, let alone the thing that causes time, if time were a real force how could something create it? you cannot create something without time correct? as everything would be motionless and eventless, but as time dosent actually eist we havent got that little problem,

can anybody actually give me some proof of time existing other than a concept to measure, whats the difference between a clock and a measuring ruler?. not alot.

peace.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

we dont even know if time itself is fact, let alone the thing that causes time, if time were a real force how could something create it?

Time is well understood - take some 'time' to understand it yourself.

22. duendy Registered Senior Member

hey, we agree on sumthin Q....wont last of course hehe
    yes. the total fallacy of wondering if time exists when one has to take time to wonder this conundrum. time for a cosmic giggle hahaahahahahah(((((((((((((((

23. Chris_Smith Registered Senior Member