Tiassa, Metaphor, and the Limits of Personal Attack

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Myles, Nov 23, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Fair enough. Let's all seek the joyous outward calm that is calminess while we contemplate Xev's underwear being sold on eBay.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

According to your profile, if it's even true, I am younger than you and I still think you're being childish. If he thinks he's better than you, I certainly doubt it's because of your age.

This little revenge act of yours IS childish. I already told you that the way to be a bigger man would be to just show clearly that Read-Only is wrong by providing the offending posts.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the reason i am refusing is because in my first thread on universal health care he asked me to provide proof i did so. He then said i was wrong so i asked him for proof he refused. The reason i am doing so is because i have had an expierance with him where i gave proof when it was asked and did not get proof in return from when i asked. the reason i think he thinks he is better than me do to age is the way he uses the word kid to dismiss me.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I can see my attempt at remediation was but a speed bump on the race to the Sewer.

8. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I think I'm better then all of you.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

sorry i don't like backing down. I'll try to calm down.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Don't you start.

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

The reason you're doing this is because you're childish and instead of addressing the issue this thread is about, you'd like to throw a little temper tantrum to get attention to your other pet issue.

At first I thought you actually might have legitimate grievances against Read-Only regarding personal attacks. Now it seems I shouldn't have even given you that base courtesy. I'm not interested in discussing this any longer.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

if you would have stopped questioning my reasons i would have let it drop

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It has nothing at all to do with age and everything to do with your attitude. And I most certainly DID give you rebuttal proof!!!! I told you to go look at Hillary Clinton's plan that she developed while Bill was in office. That would have clearly shown you why your idea was doomed to failure. So I provided proof and you never, ever looked at it!! (And even admitted that you didn't.):bugeye:

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not my job to find your proof for you which is what you were asking me to do

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, yes it is! YOU are the one who made the claim here about how I slandered you - so it most certainly IS up to YOU to prove it - or just admit that you lied. Which will you do????

And if you're talking about Hillary, just how difficult is it to type "Hillary Clinton" + "healthcare plan" into Google???? Or do you not even know how to do that, either??:bugeye:

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i know how to do it.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Look, you've jerked this thread WAY off course. Unless you are willing to admit your mistake I'll start a totally separate thread on you vs me and we'll continue this until you DO admit that you're wrong/lied!

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not going to happen.

19. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1650078#post1650078
    Oh Tiassa you sly fox. You're good, real good.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Fine! The fact that you cannot find and present a single post of mine where I did what you claim is plenty of of evidence for me and anyone else reading this that you have purposefully lied about me. And by your unwillingness, actually inability, to provide such proof, you clearly stand guilty.

Case closed.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Always ? How about for once ?

More likely, as you have done previously, you will resume your former behavior, in which personal attack is featured in a majority of the lines of your posts. This is because you do not in fact recognise your behavior.

You argue in no other way. You never have, here. Can you?

And the relevance to the thread? The complaints about Tiassa on this thread are a bunch of pots complaining about a kettle, at best - actually, Tiassa's stuff is far more justified and relevant, and less strictly insulting, than representative posts from half the complainers here.

Yours is worse, and more deserving of stones. So is several other posters' here, not singled out for complaint.

No. I simply think that if some new standard heretofore invisible is to be applied to posts on this forum, the worst offenders should feel it first. That would mean you (and others) long before Tiassa.

You've been dishing for a long time, with impunity from any consequences for crossing lines or whatever. I had no idea the kinds of well-justified and clearly motivated use of disparaging labels Tiassa employs were "crossing the line", given the much less justified and less relevant and less motivated kinds of personal disparagement that continually fill such posts as yours without attracting comment. Exactly what line remains, after your performances in several threads of my experience, to be crossed?

22. countezero Registered Senior Member

I just did. I apologized. I have pulled posts and apologized to others in the past, too. This is something that can be checked for accuracy. If you doubt me, check it. But you know I'm right, so quit trying to misrepresent me with these baseless allegations.

Again, your fabricating and misrepresenting me. The adjectives, nouns and such that you put together in your pretty little list are not personal attacks when they are read in context. In case you can't figure out the difference, something I highly doubt, you need to consider that calling someone's statement "bullshit" or their argument "asinine" may not be nice, but it's hardly a personal attack. I quickly reviewed our most recent entanglement today and, with the notable exceptions you've already mentioned aside, I found the essence of my ripostes to center on how kooky and deranged I think your arguments and positions are. I mean, you don't Stephanopolous' show on ABC is a news program. That's just absolutely moronic.

Then I reiterate, if you're a logical fellow, you ought to be interested in stamping out poor behavior wherever you come across it. You shouldn't be in here dogging out the people you don't like for engaging in the same sort of behavior as someone you do like. In doing so, you're not only making the message about the messenger (and thus ignoring its contents and worth), you're also acting like a hypocrite. But you seem obsessed with degree. "We're worse," you cry again and again. Even if that's the case, so what? This thread has a title and a topic. I didn't want it to get personal. I wanted it to be about mods and addressing how nothing can done about their behavior. Instead, we have this...

Right. You've said this before, and your opinion has been noted. There's no need to keep repeating yourself. Your friend is right, we're all wrong. Believe me, we get it.

Right. And is there any particular reason you chose to single me out? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know the reason, but it would be nice if you had enough guts to come right out and say it.

Here's one for you mull over, since your just the absolute angel around here: How about taking a piece of personal information and using it to attack someone. For argument's sake, let's just say you happen to know what someone does for a living. So one night, when you get mad, you start attacking that person's professional acumen and integrity. Maybe I could cross that line sometime in future? After all, other people have done, haven't they?

As for me, I see no purpose in this thread any more. It's devolved into a place for people to vent and attack each other. You helped that happen. So congratulations.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I think you're wrong. You're so accustomed to incorporating ad hominum crap into everything you post that you don't recognise it for what it is. So your apologies are as worthless as your arguments.
    And this entire thread on Tiassa is one example of the particular poor behavior I am interested in stamping out - the complacency and obliviousness in the dealing in personal insult from you and some others here.

Rough and tumble is fine. It's entertaining at times, it gets the point across, we're all grownups or generally old enough. But own it. Distinguish it from argument. Use it for what it's good for. Tiassa does, mostly. You don't, mostly.

If you want to slow Tiassa down, if that style is interfering with forum civility and discussion, make the argument - but not from some position of victim or aggrieved party.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007