Tiananmen Tank Defiance Video

Discussion in 'History' started by disposable88, Mar 25, 2004.

1. disposable88 My real name is Rick Registered Senior Member

Remember this?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm trying to look for the video of this guy. Is there anyone out there who can get me a link in which I can download it to my harddrive?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. disposable88 My real name is Rick Registered Senior Member

It's downloadable to my harddrive if I follow the actual location of the video, but the resolution is terrible. I don't want to complain though. Thanks for the help. Any other links with better resolution would be greatly appreciated

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

The Tiananmen tank defiance was a total misinterpretation. The guy was just a good citizen trying to tell the drivers that they were going in the wrong direction! ;-)

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Which they were (toward fratricide), and for bravely protesting this, our hero and his identity were erased from history by the Chinese secret police- but not this image, which will always and regardless remain a powerful symbol of truest personal courage, that would transform the world for the better if we all could only muster it.

9. Undecided Banned Banned

1989 was the year of the peaceful revolution, but two notables standout. Romania where there was a bloody coup of the Ceacescu gov't. In June 1989, the Chinese were accepting protest but they decided it had gone too far. The Chinese since the mid-80's had student protest in the streets. But the CCP finally felt that the protests were too convenient for them, with Gorbachev in Beijing at the time, with the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, one could understand the fears of the CCP. Reform happened the CCP’s way or no way. But they had no right to kill all those students (well actually the CCP had the right to do what they wanted) but it doesn't make it right. That man who confronted those T-59 tanks in Beijing would stand as a testament to the struggle for freedom, and the rule of law.

Sorry about the rant…

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

That's no rant: That's cogent and topical thought.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

Thank you.

Seriously though I don't see another Tiananmen will happen anytime soon. I think the CCP have understood the seriousness of the student protests in 1989, if anything the collapse of the USSR the "great communist state" to the north collapsing shouldn’t have been a shock by 1989, but everyone had to rub their eyes. The Soviet collapse from within could be very easily translated in China. But the CCP is not stupid, what collapsed the USSR? Economic malaise and western influence. I have a National Geographic’s from 1989, and 1991 that discussed the changes inside the USSR under Gorbi. It became quickly apparent to me that you had a mish mash of ideologies confusing the Soviet ppl. You saw McDonalds, yet Lenin across the street. Levi Jeans, but collective Mao styled clothing near by. The thing is that the reforms were done in contradiction, and in typical Soviet style, to slowly to make a difference. Empty store shelves in Moscow, to Irstuck, and an Eastern Europe screaming for Westernization. China and North Korea looked like they were next. In China’s case at least instead of rejecting the West in the 90's, she embraced the west, that is critical the difference. The Chinese are not enemies of the West, quite the opposite. The Chinese used the West, while the USSR simply acquiesced to the degradation of Soviet doctrine. IMO and others the USSR would be around today if it wasn't for Gobri. I know this is a cliché once a person touches freedom they won't let go. In the summer of 1989 the Chinese economy was in its 10th year of roaring along to westernization. The uprising in Beijing was truly a uprising of the Chinese philosophes like the Tennis Court Oath in 1789. The difference is that the Chinese ppl at large did not seem to support the students. To us in the West who cherish and even take advantage of our rights, we can because we don't have to think about the basic necessities of life. It is very elitist for me to even speak on the subject, and I realize my err. For all the bad that the CCP represents it does give the average Chinese a better standard of living that they ever had before. These elitist and bourgeoisie ethics are not applicable to the majority of Chinese society.

12. Jagger Registered Senior Member

Humanity vs inhumanity.

Powerful, powerful photo of a man giving his life which inspires genuine admiration and hope.

13. jedijumphigh Registered Member

a bunch of trators, the tanks should have crushed him where he stood, what was he thinking, oh im going to stand infront of a tank so i could throw china back 10 years of development and get crushed for what, democracy? i vote we should crush that trator, thats democracy.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

From The Onion's Our Dumb Century, the caption underneath the photo read "Stirring Symbol Of Human Spirit Difficult To Clean Out Of Tank Treads"

15. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

I wonder how you would feel if a group of people came by and protested your form of government? Its easy for us US citizens to look out at other 'oppressive' regimes (the name given to governments WE don't like) and applaud such behavior as heroic and inspiring. Yet in our own country we've had to put up with anarchists, hippies, and other lunatics who want to see our own way of life be destroyed and we generally label them as radicals or terrorists. It is interesting who a few choice words can change your perception of events. We may not gas or shoot protestors in this country, but how can we actually know what happened in Tianemmen square? The Chinese government didn't just shoot people because they enjoy inflicting suffering upon others.

16. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

He was just blocking the way of the tank,...not offering his life

: When the tank turns its track WAS going to crush that man,...that man jumps to the middle of the tank in order not to be overrun by it. Then: the tank turns again its tracks but to the other side,...and guess what: the man again jumps to the middle of the tank, and really doesn't stay in front of its tracks!

So it's only just a bad driver

17. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

No one knows who the guy was or if he is still alive.

A point worth making: That image is BLOCKED in China. Chinese are not allowed to access information concerning the whole event.

While we may have psychos, commies, hippies, facist, peace freaks, anarchists, etc..etc.. we can read about them and make decisions for ourselves. We have to the Freedom to Choose. Though I wouldnt want to be a hippie.....

18. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

What would an American tank crew do in a similar situation?
    Dee Cee

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

The off-topic post and replies to it have been deleted.

20. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

That picture is one of the most symbolic of the 20th century. Interesting that the man held on to his knapsack or grocery bag or whatever.

What would American tank crew do?
    a) arrest him.
    b) physically move him out of the way, beat him up some, and let him go.
    c) Kill him and claim that he was a terrorist with bombs in is knapsack.

Something like that happening in America would not be very significant anyway

21. orestes Strategos Registered Senior Member

You're right. And why? Becuase people in America have the right to protest, within reason. China grants no such right. Any harsh words against the Chinese government would land your ass in jail. Taiwan, promised autonomy after China absorbed it in 1997, ended up being lied to. The people there have no power to speak out while the corporate elite are chosen as officials by the Chinese government.

22. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

"What would an American tank crew do in a similar situation?"

Well I hope we'd have the hatch open, otherwise good look seeing him in the viewing blocks *LOL* gotta watch out for those crunchies

23. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

Dunno who that guy was, but very rarely do i admire anybody. That was one brave guy. Such a powerful image, i hope he`s ok, but i have this depressing feeling that he was executed for his principles.