Throwing fits and insulting people

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Dec 9, 2007.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I would like to say that I think I have an excuse for that after I've dealt with a number of the people here, especially certain moderators, but at the end of the day it is futile.

I could say that I was just following the crowd. There is a certain group mind thing going here, where someone can become a charter member by starting his participation with threatening to kill another member, if he knows how to use the right code words and is able to claim "I wanted him to believe it but I obviously wasn't going to do it." So it is based on emotional manipulation. Members of the clique that is on top actually deliberately cast themselves as prats. Then they go on to lord their pratliness over anyone who argues a scientific point in any way that they don't like.

If this clique is not working for certain vested interests they are quite a bit stupider than they want to appear to be, because anyone who sheds that much dignity and works that hard to destroy what other people are doing should at least take home a paycheck or something. Or is the privilege of mistreating people enough reward for them?

I have to confess that there are numerous easy targets among this clique and in my way of thinking they are the only fair targets. It's like taking potshots at the Neanderthals who terrorize small children in school. It's only fair, it's only just to take them down and make their lives hell. Unfortunately, they thrive on abuse. Even more unfortunately, they contribute nothing to science and neither do such discussions. If I weren't there to fight with them they would find someone to fight with them. Even that doesn't matter much because science thrives on diverse opinions, and diverse opinions are what they suppress using all the tricks in their dirty little bags. Even James R occasionally delights in finding the right nerve to prick.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Just an additional comment: I think that the state of this board reflects the sickness of 21st century science.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Well, it is easy to join the crowd and wont get lumps on your head.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

But, why does there have to be a choice? get lumps or give them? why? why? why? Peculiar? we are fascinating species, given this brain and like a twelve year old with a stick of dynamite...

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

People have hit me many times over matters that they had a problem with and I still can't see why. I can tell you, at least as a good working hypothesis, that many of them had been stressed beyond tolerance and found a human target which happened to be me. That's hard to be understanding about when some allegedly human person actually decides to beat a person less than half her mass until he can't breathe anymore.

But this is how business is conducted by way too many people. Our chief refuters here can't refute anything without including digs against the character of the person who they are arguing with. Obviously whatever rules a forum has are for someone else and not for this little clique.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Wow dude... It sounds like you put way too much stock into people's opinions from the internet.

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

If by "way too much" you mean zero.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Of course, you're talking about your mother, but you're using this as an analogy to happenings within this forum. Thus, you're stating that you're an inferior intellectual specimen and that it's unfair that others should tackle your half-mass brain? You're not that bad, Metakron. Now, Reiku on the other hand (although he's most likely a troll anyway)...

Anyway, what you're missing is the escalation of events. People don't generally just start off with heavy insults. It depends on the situation.

Let's take Reiku for instance, seeing as how this is what's got you riled up anyway.
    He posted nonsense threads that tried to pass themselves as authoritative manuscripts. At first, he was answered in a businesslike and brusque manner. It was obvious that he did know something about the subject. Thus, with a little correction his work could be improved. But, he responded to all attempts at corrections with contempt and anger.

See. Reiku didn't want to be told where he was wrong. Reiku, as far as he was concerned, was completely right.
    He didn't want to learn.
    He wanted to teach.
    Thus, he puffed up his chest and spit on anyone who expressed dissatisfaction to his work.

This attitude is what led up to the state of events which the forums have been in lately because of his 'revolt'.

His refusal (inability) to answer questions meaningfully. His refusal (inability) to comprehend that his understanding of basic physics was less than accurate. His refusal (inability) to see forum dynamics in anything less than a black and white situation. To Reiku, you're either with him or against him. You're either his friend or his enemy. He can't understand that you can be neutral and only deal with the work presented. He didn't want his work judged, he wanted it applauded.

He came to the wrong place for such dishonesty.

You also tend to behave in a similar manner (although not quite as bad) when you perceive yourself to be under attack. Case in point, your treatment of Mercaptain in the Photon thread. He wasn't being overly rude, yet you respond 'in kind' by calling him a cocksucker. That's an escalation, not a response in kind. But, your mental situation is all worked up and you have lost the ability to see the difference.

As to the clique?
    I know I don't talk with any of these bozos outside of threads. I doubt that many of them are big pm'ers either. Never know though. It's always a possibility.

I'm not part of any damned clique. I'll ridicule them when then they deserve just as quickly as I'll ridicule you. And vice versa.

Get your head on straight, Metakron.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I think it's time we have a thread on How to take a blow - without blowing up.

These metacommunication, psychological issues are just as important to discuss as actual science. Emotional intelligence. How to win a debate without losing your cool.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You are a tough guy to debate with. Not because you are intelligent or a good debater. You tend to insert too many personal insults and sly remarks for the sole purpose of getting people pissed at you. I don't get it.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

That's exactly what I am talking about. Even when Invert and half a dozen others seem to try to explain reasonably why they do what they do, they keep making these personal remarks to deliberately try to anger people. They lose the high ground the instant that they start doing that, and they want to hang on the pretense that they still have it. They don't attack ideas. They try to cause anger.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

How about a thread on how to be polite? Even James seems to feel no obligation to be polite, with his little digs he takes at people and with the misconduct that he allows to continue.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You still pissed at me because I showed you that Canada isn't all pure and noble when it comes to treatment of its natives? Is it a personal insult to do such a thing? It sure as hell pissed you off, that's for sure. That's the only debate I've ever had with you, yes?

17. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Actually, the forums was always set to debate as it always has when Reiku first arrived. Either you are hypocrites, or lacking in perception to imagine that Reiku was the one who set the 'spirit' of revolt rolling: Sciforums was always in a spirit of revolt over one thing or another. It's just this time around, Reiku happen to bewitch into the fold of "controversy" the aloof and "collected" scientifically minded membership, too. Lol. And, alas! what a mighty social muddle even the science people here can't handle. Says much about your learned "skills".

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sure.

Since this is all about Reiku, let's go see something. My first encounter with Reiku:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=72066

See how the tone of the discussion gradually changed as it became apparent that no matter how many times it was explained to him, no matter how many links were provided, no matter how much effort was expended on his behalf... he just would not listen.

And this was still before he really showed just how angry he would become when people disagreed with his work.

Not to mention his hissy fits and pity parties.

Mood swings.

Incomprehension and incomprehensibility.

See.
    People teach you how to treat them.
    It takes time to establish protocols in dealing with people. One must tentatively feel one's way through initial encounters. Determining means of action.
    Reiku sets the tone with his arrogance.
    Now, if he actually made even a small lick of sense, then perhaps his arrogance could be overlooked. But, in the context which we have, nonsense being paraded as scripture, then the arrogance is ludicrous.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

True. True.
    Endless drama.
    The train kept a rollin' all night long.

20. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Probably anyone who would start such a thread would expose themselves uncomfortably, coming off as preachy and such - even though such was not the intention at all..
    I know I am uncomfortable to start such a thread.

But alas - taking care of one's Emotional Intelligence definitely is a part of being a good scientist.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'd prefer a thread on how not to be a pussy.
    Sciforums is not polite. Sorry about your luck.

22. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Then start it.

I'd be interested to see how it goes.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Yes, and it becomes doubly rude when it picks on some members for being rude and not others.