Throw away the Coke

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Clarentavious, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I think it was about 5 years ago, maybe more, I heard on the CBS news, one of the anchors was saying new studies suggest drinking purple grape juice may help lower your cholestrol. Ever since then I have been drinking it - that is all I really drink aside from water and orange juice (orange juice, that helps reduce the risk of some kinds of cancer).

I don't drink soft drinks or soda's of any kind (and haven't for about 10 years) for other reasons (well, I may have about 3 a year). But here, have a look. There were alot of links that talked about how purple grape juice helps, but they mixed in other topics like exercise and not smoking. I tried to find the ones that weren't really long and focused mainly on grape juice.

http://www.personalmd.com/news/n0909114117.shtml

http://www.lef.org/newsarchive/nutr...healthnewsdigest_050006_241_811741895508.html

http://www.healthandage.org/PHome/gid2=470

http://www.lifeclinic.com/whatsnew/featuredarticles/articleView.asp?MessageID=512

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

Really?? I drink a lot (diltuted juice for the water intake) but I do wonder if orange juice itself does any damage because it's quite acidic. Thanks for the links Clarentavious.

Really?? I think I'd have to agree with you there. lol

Whoever invented the condom must have been a pervert though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

lol.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

The condom line is just my signature. That is why it is below that bar on my post. If you pay for avatars (the little picture under some people's names), you get signatures too. $3 a month, check the site feedback page I think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I stopped drinking coke two years ago. I have a sprite every once and a while, but other then that... I heard that they dry you out and cause acne. That's why I stopped drunken em.

Isn't it true that Coke's cause dehydration? And that in order to have clear, nice skin, you have to stay hydrated? Very interesting.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Anything with anti-oxidant's in it is fabulous for your health. That means juice, fruit or whatever. But you've got to remember that PURE juice is very bad for your health because it triggers the immediate release of insulin. Instead, you should be drinking the much diluted form. But water is always the best.

Eating grapes or oranges themselves is also a very healthy practice as you get not only the anti-oxidants, but also the insoluble fibres etc. People seem to devalue that type of thing these days. The point is education and balance. Food is usually a double edged thing.

And of coarse...
    Exercise is all important. If you don't excercise, you can't expect your body to work properly. Excercise will fix you better up then anything else.

9. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

you know about every 2 months they come out with a "study suggest that X may slightly reduce your chances of Y"

i wouldn't drasticly change my diet based every little report i saw.
    just use common sense. of course chugging 3 cokes a day is worse than drinking water. sheesh.

10. Q25 Registered Senior Member

coke and any drink that has phosphoric acid in it will eat/destroy your teeth,(dont ask me how I know)

all natural juices contain vitamin C,which is what fights cancers.

11. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

I cant live without Coke. Coke is like water now. You cant find a restaurant without Coke. They must have it, they dont have any other chance. Imagine the power of Coke on the society..

You reminded me that i should drink Coke.

12. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

13. Olaus Registered Senior Member

Yep, grape fruit juice/pulp as well. To a lesser extent, apples and onions.

That said, I wonder if the bioflavonoid, quercertin, has anyhting to do with it.

14. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I'm sure one or two diet cokes a day won't hurt me. Exercise is the main factor in a person's health, when it comes to diet, just use common sense, ah yes, a glass of grape juice or wine every day is supposed to add years to your life...

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Well, remember that aspartame is a very popular neuro-toxin. It can slur your speach, inflict confusion in basic thought, and cause certain other side-effect's which are even less favourable.

I can't get by a stick of aspartame gum without getting a headache. It's worse for some. Yet equally bad as sugar for human consumption. Plain old water will always be the healthiest thing.

Like I said, though -- get your fibre, have a balanced diet and exercise. You can't get away with any of the miracle diets these days without dangerous side effects. Remember the little tape-worm episode?

16. jps Valued Senior Member

aspartame

Aspartame is indeed a very frightening substance. Its long been suspected of havind adverse effects on the brain since it crosses the blood brain barrier. Recent studies have confirmed this showing a link between consumption of aspartame and memory loss.
    Interestingly, the guy responsible for approving aspartame by the FDA quit after approving it and became employed by the company that manufactures it.
    How else could a substance that breaks down into formeldehyde in the body ever have gotten approved?

Relatively recently companies are no longer required to put that little nutra-sweet logo on products containing aspartame. I've had to throw out a number of things after realizing they had it, who knows how much people consume unknowingly.

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Actually diet coke for you is worse than regular coke...and i can;t stay off of it. I love coke...i can't help but drink pepsi so no wonder my acne doesn't go away. I drink orange juice...it helps fight cancer, also helps fight cold by giving you Asorbic acid, and these days Orange juice comes loaded with Potassium that rivals Bananas as the leader in the heart helping chemical. I need to however stop drinking coke. It's bad for your liver and the carbonated water weakens your bone density.

18. Commandore Zippy Kender Legionnaire Registered Senior Member

Coke does make you dehydrated but I've never heard of the acne part. And it really hard to quit since they came out with all these new, better tasting cokes.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

they did a small test in which one group only drank water, and another group coffee and other 'bad ' drinks.

then they measured the hydration levels and couldn't make any distinction.