Three Cheers for $4 Gasoline

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by coberst, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

There is a middle way in energy and politics where we'll make the most widely-acceptable adaptations and improvements. Our choices are not really between being tycoons or serfs, gluttons or ascetics as we debate and implement new habits and policies. I suspect that when we cast things in such unrealistic extremes, we're just exhibiting a fear of change. We're all going to be economizing and innovating our way through the coming transition in all walks of life.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

That's silly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

A good rule of thumb:
    if you want to avoid challenging yourself
    frame the issue at hand with one side extreme (as if there was no spectrum)
    and walk away reassured.

I could walk up and talk to her
    but I am not sure I want to have three kids with her
    and her face might not age well.

It's the sort of thing teenagers get over.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Not as silly as cheering for high gasoline prices. You might just as well cheer for poverty.

Everytime the price of gas goes up, it takes money right out of people's pockets. And who does it hurt the most? Who drives the oldest most gas guzzling cars? Who has the least disposible income to make up for the extra money spent on gas?

The poor, of course. You know, the ones the Left claims to care about.
    The last girl I asked out after walking up and talking to her in the lunchroom has since had four kids with me and has aged pretty well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

And can you or can you not take a bus from one end of Belgium to the other for less than an hour's wages?

9. R.A.J.J. Registered Member

It's funny we'd waste our time with alternative fuels, we have plenty of oil, if we tapped the reserves in the United States for even a few weeks the price would drop dramatically...
    And if it rose again, we could always threaten to switch once more...
    But that obviously doesn't serve in the interest of the elite.

It's also funny one of the biggest oil fields we've yet to tap is under Los Angeles.
    I hear people on TV "Oh well, switching to localized oil drilling would take like 10 years, so we shouldn't bother that's a bad idea"....Yeah you care about the middle class...

You know, if gas hits $ 6-7 a gallon and people couldn't drive they'd be irritated... I wonder if another 9/11 like event happened if there would be riots...

I could see a lot of ways to cause problems with a nation in this sort of a bind, we should thank the idiots who took adjustable rate mortgages and spent decades charging for every single item they ever bought as well as the gas situation.

"Oh you can change the rates and interest any time you want without telling me? Sounds great sign me up!!!"

God must love to laugh...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The US reached it's peak of oil production in the 70's. We don't have plenty of oil.

11. R.A.J.J. Registered Member

We have sixty days worth, I'd call that plenty...

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"High" is a relative term. US gas prices are "low" relative to Almost ALL other importers of oil. (Some countries, most notably China, do subsidies gasoline, but they are all stopping as the number of drivers increase do to the impact on gov. budgets.)

As far as "poverty" that too depends upon your perspective. Ask you kids 20 years from now, if they think they would have been richer if the US had priced gas like the rest of the consumming world.

They will still have to try to support the foolish "suburban infrastructure" the US's LOW gas prices built and it will not be easy in the expensive energy era. This will cause them to be "poor." Like everything, including the govenment debt, else the "now" generations has done to make the "good life" for themselves, the LOW cost of gas has placed a great burden on their children.

They will suffer for your excesses.