Three Cheers for $4 Gasoline

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by coberst, Jun 20, 2008.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Oh wow! Very well said!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh... and you should probably have moved to Norway with her instead of having her live in the US wih you.... that's really sad...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

"Such a storm was raging that he could hardly keep his feet; houses and trees quivered and swayed, mountains trembled, and the rocks rolled into the sea. The sky was pitch black; it thundered and lightened, and the sea ran in black waves, mountains high, crested with white foam. He shrieked out, but could hardly make himself heard:

Flounder, flounder in the sea
    I pray thee hearken unto me
    My wife, Isobel, will have her way
    Whatever I wish, whatever I say.

"Now, what does she want?" asked the flounder.

"Alas," he said, "she wants to be lord of the universe...with the sun, the moon and the movement of the stars under her command."

"Now she must go back to her old hovel," said the flounder; "and there you will find her."

And there they are to this very day."

-William and Jacob Grimm.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"... public transportation is too important to be left to the public. It takes a long time, and millions of dollars, to establish, and relies upon subsidies to run. It's a long-term commitment, and it has to be financed regardless of the fickle nature of the public, and fuel prices.

It also takes a lot of effort to administer. It's not enough to build a system of public transport. You have to tinker with the schedules, keep the trains and buses and stations clean, and remove the indigent and lawbreakers. You have to repair the equipment, buy new stuff and expand service.

The public seems to be receptive to this idea right now, but we need something bigger. We need regional, county, perhaps even state dedication to the notion that public transportation is now something that has to be provided and paid for in more than a patchwork fashion.

People are always going to prefer to use the private alternative, if they can afford it. $9 a gallon gasoline, anyone? "

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a6oSRX5gsE48&refer=home

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You will fondly remember these days, when we hit $8 in a few years.

Anthony is wrong, it is not necessery that we should be less healthy, actually, Americans walking or biking more should get a better health.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Oh, yes, having to walk everywhere due to poverty is good for your health!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Kief Registered Member

Well, I think this is a step in the right direction. I am HOPING gas will hit $5 a gallon soon, because the US needs to 1) get off foreign oil...then, after that, we need to stop using fossil fuels, because it is ruining our atmosphere. We then need an alternative fuel source. Personally, I am for cannabis-methanol.

I will be upset if gas prices go back down, because peoples buying habits will go back to the earlier status quo ("Oooh, look, low gas prices, I can buy a Hummer instead of a fuel efficient car, therefor increasing the demand for foreign oil").
    :m:
    So, in conclusion: Gas prices should go UP UP UP, people will buy very fuel efficient cars, and that will become a habit. Then, we should industrialize cannabis, and use it to make methanol (using corn would be ignorant, since cannabis produces 10 times more methanol than corn).
    We would become self sufficient, and probably a leader in exports. This would not take long either, since cannabis grows very quickly (maturity in 4 months), and when the plants foliage falls off, it nourishes the soil. Crop rotation involved, cannabis would solve our fuel crisis. Not only that, but the abundance of cannabis that would have to be grown would cleanse the atmosphere of the carbon dioxide (which we are responsible for). Fossils should not be used for any type of fuel, since it only harms the environment, and hurts the economy.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Hummer pfff. The Hummer is too fuel efficient for me. The thing gets 8 miles per gallon.

It's all about the Bugatti Veyron: 2 miles per gallon.

I love the smell of CO2 and SO2 in the morning.

11. YinyangDK Registered Senior Member

WOW.....are you serious?

Increasing the price of certain energy´s are TOTALLY right... Like the price of oile, make the price sky high!
    This could force everyone to find a new and better source of energy much faster.

12. YinyangDK Registered Senior Member

Is this how you picture walking?
    Is this what you are afraid of will happen if you start to walk more?

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

People will not walk more. They need to drive. Our cities are not laid out with walking in mind. You can't walk anywhere in most US towns. Therefore, they will simply pour more and more money into their gas tanks and have less money left over for everything else. This will suck the economy dry and result in poverty for more and more people.

I hope some of you libs let your happiness with high gas prices known so the American people realize what you really stand for.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I'm with coberst. Fuck the typical north american driving around like a slave to workplaces far way(cause the boss doesn't trust em), in big vehicles(to be "safe" by killing the other guy), and paying through the nose for gas/insurance/name a dozen money sucks surrounding a vehicle. Act like a slave - get treated like one.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That has to change, and it will. It's already happening. In some places suburban developments are becoming ghost towns. Walkable communities see real estate prices soar.

This is a result of Republican policies. Ignoring Carter, for instance. We should have made gas $4 a gallon long ago with taxes, and used the money to invest in rail. The poor or people that need trucks for business could get tax breaks. But now, they all have to pay, no way around it.

We are the American people, and we are starting to wake up.

16. YinyangDK Registered Senior Member

And it is about Fucking time...... get your head out of the sand and smell the coffee!

17. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Some people need to drive to work. Many do not. Many people drive when they could walk or bike. Many people drive 100 yards to the 7/11. People drive to do something. We can cut down a hell of a lot on driving and not victimize anybody.

Further....
    Isn't this how you conservatives think societal problems should be solved also? I mean those who cannot figure out a way to get to work other than driving a car, well, they'll be selected out. Right?
    Why the hell should we pay all these taxes to subsidize drivers?

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Oh, we will soon. We'll be drilling all over the fuckin' place. Building nuke plants, coal fired plants, solar, wind, whatever it takes. We need our power, baby.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, that'll work... :roflmao:

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Got a better idea?

21. Roman Banned Banned

Change your lifestyle?

22. Archie Registered Senior Member

More than just fueling automobiles, our entire economy requires petroleum to continue. There are possibilities for alternative power sources (the Pacific NorthWest has been using hydroelectric for years) but RIGHT NOW we are largely dependent on oil. The rising cost of oil (and gasoline) is depressing our national economy, RIGHT NOW.

The best alternative power supply right now is nuclear energy. However, the same people who prevent domestic oil production also prevent nuclear power. Wind mills are promising and the same people who block oil production and nuclear decry wind power. Wind power kills the birdies and besides, we won't let you have one in your back yard - it's ugly.

Domestic production of oil will lessen this problem. And that "... it will take ten years..." claim is simply a lie. Just like nuclear power is dangerous. However, by maintaining an artificial shortage of oil - or other required commodities - the liberty of citizens is 'controlled'. Making citizens dependent on the government for transportation gives the government more control over the citizenry. Manifestly, this is one of the left's goals.

Rising prices are good? Sure, if government control over your life is the goal. Do you want liberty or do you want to be a serf? Those praising higher fuel prices want to be serfs - or at least want everyone else to be serfs, thinking they will somehow be exempt.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm. Drill a few more oil wells, nuke plants, and coal plants or live like the Amish. Tough call, .............not.

PS Well said, Archie.