Thousands of Religious Sects - Which one is right?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lucifer does not appear in the Bible. Moreover, the time of the creation of angels is never specified and prior to the formation of the inhabitable universe, there was a mixture of water and sky.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. VitalOne Banned Banned

Ok here you go:
    “and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father” (John 14:12)

Here is Jesus saying that we are like Gods:
    “Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?” (John 10:34)

"Know ye not that ye are gods, and sons of the most high?" Psalm (82:6)

I already backed up that claim in my previous posts, but you probably ignored it...here it is again:
    "And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be
    forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy
    Ghost it shall not be forgiven" - (Luke 12:10)

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be
    forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost
    shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word
    against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever
    speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither
    in this world, neither in the world to come" - (Matthew 12:31-32)

"I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin" - Mark 3:28-29

Jesus seems to be making the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit seem higher than the Father and the Son (the highest in the trinity)....

The Gospel of Thomas isn't a gnostic text....its an early Christian writing discovered in Egypt...also again why do you talk about Early Christian fathers....why do you not talk about things Jesus says...not just what the "Christians" say...

There are many paralells in the Gospel of Thomas and in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and other scriptures already in the Bible....for instance here again Jesus is saying the kingdom of God is within you:

"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:21)

And here again:
    "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" (Corinthians 6:19)

Here again Jesus is talking about blaspheme of the holy spirit:
    Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven." - (Thomas, 44)

Clearly any fool can see that its the same Jesus....different scripture...the Bible was compiled by The Church so they picked and chose what they wanted in it....

So why don't you base it on actual Christian scripture?? Are the ministers higher than Jesus now? Do they override what Jesus says?

Is that so...so where does it say so in the Bible?

I used lots of scripture in my previous posts but you just ignored them...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VitalOne Banned Banned

You know nothing you quoted contradicts anything....Hinduism says almost exactly the samething, there is one God above all, one absolute truth, God is within us all, etc....

Also nothing is above the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost...

But Jesus says here:
    "Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father who gave them me, is greater than all, and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are One" - (John 10:28-30)

Jesus is equal to God but Jesus doesn't have knowledge of when the coming will be...its pretty simple...

When does Hinduism argue that the Bible is completely false? Many Hindu saints supported religions like Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VitalOne Banned Banned

Commentaries mean nothing....nothing at all...I mean like nothing...

I almost laughed when reading this commentary...the Old Testament God is full of anger, etc...in fact he stopped the Sun just to kill someone

Also in Hinduism God nor an incarnation can truly ever be angry, passionate, lustful, etc...because those things are of material nature and God is never in contact with material nature, even if it appears so...

Ironically this is almost exactly how Hinduism describes an incarnation of God........

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  8. nds1 Registered Senior Member

VitalOne, this is your personal interpretation of the verse posted above. Where in that verse or anywhere in the bible does it say that the Holy Spirit is above God? You were way off base with your outrageous and almost comical interpretation of this verse to say that the Holy Ghost/Spirit is above God.

Now let's see what this verse really means from enlightened Christian practitioners as LG would recommend:

Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database.
    Copyright (c) 1997 by Biblesoft)

[Speaketh against the Holy Ghost] The word "ghost" means "spirit," and probably refers here to the "divine nature" of Christ-the power by which he performed his miracles. There is no evidence that it refers to the third person of the Trinity; and the meaning of the whole passage may be: "He that speaks against me as a man of Nazareth-that speaks contemptuously of my humble birth, etc., may be pardoned; but he that reproaches my divine nature, charging me with being in league with Satan, and blaspheming the power of God manifestly displayed "by me," can never obtain forgiveness."

The Wycliffe Bible Commentary, Electronic Database.
    Copyright (c) 1962 by Moody Press

Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men. The general principle. Atonement by Christ at Calvary would be sufficient to remit the guilt of all sins, even the most aggravated forms of slander against God (blasphemy). One sin, however, is declared unpardonable: whosoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit. In view of Jesus' previously stated principle, this unpardonableness cannot be due to inadequacy of the atonement, nor may we infer any peculiar sacredness of the Third Person of the Trinity. Many explain this sin as the attributing of the miraculous works of the Spirit to Satanic power (cf. Mark 3:29-30), and see no possibility of its being committed today (so Chafer, Broadus, Gaebelein). Others, however, regard the accusation of the Pharisees as being symptomatic, and not the sin itself. The following verses point to the corrupt heart as the cause of the sin. The particular function of the Spirit is to bring conviction and repentance, and make men receptive to the invitation of Christ. Hence hearts that hate God and blaspheme Christ (1 Tim 1:13) may yet be convicted and brought to repentance by the Spirit. But he who rejects every overture of the Spirit removes himself from the only force that can lead him to forgiveness (John 3:36). That such a settled state can be reached in this life is clearly implied by the passage. The OT describes these as sinning "with a high hand" (Num 15:30, ASV); for them no atonement was possible. Men cannot read hearts, and thus cannot judge when others have reached such a state. The real possibility of this sin does not weaken the gospel invitation, "Whosoever will," for by its very nature such will have no willingness to accept. As for the Pharisees of Jesus' audience, it is not stated whether or not they had fully committed this sin, but the warning is clear. Their considerable instruction made their responsibility great; their previous hostility showed their determined unbelief .

Nice try though VitalOne.

So the Holy Spirit IS NOT above God.

We really have to clear up this issue of equality to God.

Question 1: What exactly do you mean by equal when you say Jesus is equal to God? Equal in what? Power? Strength? Knowledge?

Question 2: Do you consider avatars like Rama and Krishna to be individual beings with their own "minds" and abililty to make their own individual decisions, even against God, as spirits in the spiritual world they are currently in?

9. nds1 Registered Senior Member

LG or anyone, can you answer these questions?

Question 1: What exactly do you mean by equal when you say Jesus is equal to God? Equal in what? Power? Strength? Knowledge?

Question 2: Do you consider avatars like Rama and Krishna to be individual beings with their own "minds" and abililty to make their own individual decisions, even against God, as spirits in the spiritual world they are currently in?

10. VitalOne Banned Banned

I wasn't "trying" anything....my interpretation is a literal interpretation, you know as in what Jesus himself says, your interpretation is some guy saying no thats not what Christ meant, even though he literally says this referring to the "holy ghost" over and over again in the Bible (at least 3 times) it doesn't matter, he must have meant the spirit of Christ not the holy ghost as he literally says, thats what it must have been...hahaha....its just an attempt to work around what Jesus Christ himself says to support to Church, eg....even though Jesus Christ literally says this, thats not what he must have meant...

So in other words you prefer to believe the words of some other guy (the guy who wrote that interpretation) instead of the words of Christ himself...

He's equal as in he has attained a nature like God's, he is not created, nor destroyed, "alpha and omega", he has become "the way, the truth", etc....

"By becoming fixed in this knowledge, one can attain to the transcendental nature like My own. Thus established, one is not born at the time of creation or disturbed at the time of dissolution" (BG 14.2)

Technically they can if they really wanted to...but the mind is material, the soul is above the mind, eternal, unborn, unchanging, witnessing all things

11. nds1 Registered Senior Member

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be
    forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost
    shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word
    against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever
    speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither
    in this world, neither in the world to come" - (Matthew 12:31-32)

"I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin" - Mark 3:28-29

VitalOne,

Jesus never says that the Holy Spirit is above God. He never even comes close to it. The above verses are the only verses you are basing this theory of yours on. And these verses prove absolutely nothing.

By the way, in all three of those verses God is never mentioned. Jesus says if you sin against man, or the Son of man, you will be forgiven, but against the Holy Ghost and you won't. Nowhere in this verse does it say that the Holy Spirit is above God in any way, shape, or form. You just made that part up. What if you sin against God? What then? It is not mentioned in these verses. It only mentions Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Show me the verse where Jesus says, "The Holy Spirit is above everything, including God."

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say the Holy Spirit is "above" God? Above in power? Above in knowledge? Above in sacredness?

God is above the Holy Ghost/Spirit in POWER
    Clearly the Holy Spirit cannot be more powerful than God. Heaven isn't a democracy, it is a dictatorship (in this case, the dictator however is loving and perfect). If God wants to do something, he does it. He doesn't ask the Holy Ghost or Jesus for permission. If the Holy Spirit wants to do something, he can only do it with permission from God. He can't just do whatever he wants. Also, God determines who goes to heaven or hell. He is the judge, not the Holy Spirit.

So basically, the Holy Spirit has zero power over God, therefore God is above him in power.

God is above the Holy Spirit in Knowledge

Only God knows when the second coming will be. No one else, including the holy spirit.

God is above the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is actually the Spirit of God

1 Thess 4:8
    8 Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.
    NKJV

The use of the word His shows possession. God "possesses" the Holy Spirit, not the other way around.

Eph 4:30-31
    30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
    NKJV

1 Cor 6:11
    11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
    NKJV

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God (since God must have a spirit, right?). So the Holy Spirit is being controlled BY God.

VitalOne, unless you back up your claim that the Holy Spirit is above God with scripture, you have no argument.

12. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Jer 15:1
    15:1 Then the LORD said to me, "Even if Moses and Samuel stood before Me, My mind would not be favorable toward this people. Cast them out of My sight, and let them go forth.
    NKJV

Rom 8:27
    27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
    NKJV

1 Sam 2:35
    35 But now the LORD says: ...Then I will raise up for Myself a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in My heart and in My mind.
    NKJV

Lev 24:12
    12 Then they put him in custody, that the mind of the LORD might be shown to them.
    NKJV

Rom 11:34-35
    34 "For who has known the mind of the LORD?
    Or who has become His counselor?"
    35 "Or who has first given to Him
    And it shall be repaid to him?"
    NKJV

These verses prove that God actually has a mind. This means that your "mind is material" theory just got flushed down the toilet.

So we know that God is a spirit, he is pure spirit (NO SOUL), and can think (he has a mind).

You have also admitted in your last post that Rama and Krishna are individuals with their own spiritual minds and who can make their own personal decisions.

So you admit then, that all of the avatars, including Jesus, are all separate spiritual beings with their own spiritual minds and their own self wills.

By admitting this, you have made my original argument 100% true and validated my claim that Hinduism and Christianity have different beliefs about the reality of everything.

Here's why:

Christians also believe that all the angels and Jesus himself are all separate, independent spiritual beings with their own minds. Lucifer had his own mind and decided with that very mind to go against God. A third of the angels in heaven also used their spiritual minds to decide to go against God and with Lucifer.

Christians believe that the separate, independent, spiritual being named "Jesus," ranks number two to God in power, knowledge, ability, and everything else which involves greatness. Also, there is no spiritual being equal to Jesus.

Hinduism on the other hand, claims that Jesus, Rama, Krishna, and all the other avatars are all equal.

Can you finally see where the two religions contrast in this regard?

13. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Here is one big difference between Hinduism and Christianity:

Hindus believe that you have unlimited chances to "get it together" and go into a state of transcendence. If you live a sinful life, your soul simply enters into some kind of animal until it dies. Eventually you work your way back to human status so you can give it another go. Sounds good enough.

Christians on the other hand believe that as humans we get ONE CHANCE. Not two, not three, not four. ONE SINGLE CHANCE. If you mess up in this lifetime, you are screwed. You don't come back as an animal or try again as a human. You live this life, you die, and you either go to heaven or hell in the eternal lake of fire. Hopefully your a good swimmer if the latter happens.

These are two vital differences of beliefs between both religions.

14. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Jnana Yoga is a process of learning to discriminate between what is real and what is not, what is eternal and what is not. Through a steady advancement in realization of the distinction between Real and the Unreal, the Eternal and the Temporal, one develops into a Jnana Yogi.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita

LG, even Hinduism acknowledges that there is a difference between Real and Unreal.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: No god believing religion is right.

16. VitalOne Banned Banned

This argument has really become meaningless...its all based upon personal interpretations (which is why there's so many different sects in Christianity)....if you had a religion based upon only what Jesus says there would be no contradictions with reincarnation at all...but Christianity isn't based upon what Jesus says, its based upon what someone else says like a minister, the Pope, some early Christian father, etc...

So there's no point in arguing anymore since you interpret all religions as being completely different and one must be right, and I interpret all religions as revealing the same eternal truths.....

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

Why is that? Because you're an angry atheist who use to be God-believing, therefore you hate all theistic religions?

18. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Every Christian sect actually is based only on what Jesus said, its just that they all interpret what he said differently.

Jesus spoke in vague terms which are left up to interpretation. Similarly, the U.S. Constitution was also written in vague terms which is why we have a supreme court to interpret the constitution on a case by case basis.

Also, where in the Bible did Jesus say that humans can die and their souls can enter animals and they become reincarnated until they finally go into a state of transcendence. Jesus said nothing even close to that.

Jesus never supported Hindu beliefs about the reality of life in any of his dialouges in the Bible. There's no yoga, there's no vegetarianism, there's no Rama or Krishna, there's no spirtual planets or whatever Hindus believe. I think if Jesus truly agreed with Hinduism, he would have at least acknowledged avatars like Rama and Krishna. But guess what, he didn't.

19. VitalOne Banned Banned

Christianity isn't based up on what Jesus says, its based upon the Bible (compiled by the Catholic Church)....a lot of authentic scriptures (which historians agree would be the authentic words of Christ, if he historically existed) are left out of the Bible intentionally by the Church.....

I'm talking about a religion based upon only what Jesus says....

Jesus never really says anything about the afterlife, no one really questioned him on that topic....

"But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection" (Rev 20:5)

Again you probably haven't even read the Bhagavad Gita or anything, if you did you could easily see that Jesus and Krishna are revealing the same eternal truths. Jesus would never speak of Rama or Krishna because it wouldn't make sense for him to, he preached the truth in ways that the people of his time could understand.

Jesus taught bhakti-yoga and karma-yoga, and the same truths as Krishna did....Jesus agrees with almost every Hindu belief about reality...however he never denies or accepts reincarnation, nor does he even discuss what happens after death...

Krishna doesn't really talk about vegetarianism that much, but vegetarianism is present in Genesis:
    "God said, ' Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food '. " (Gen 1:29)

Here God is saying that plants and fruits were designed by HIM as food for humans...

Jesus taught the law of karma:
    "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matt 7:2)

"Consider carefully what you hear," he continued. "With the measure you use, it will be measured to you - and even more." (Mark 4:24)

"If any one slays with the sword, with the sword must he be slain." (Revelation 13:10)

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." (Luke 6:38)

Jesus taught bhakti-yoga (love God):
    “Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? He answered, "Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind. That is the greatest commandment. It comes first." (Matthew 22.36-38)

And also karma-yoga (do pure good deeds):
    "The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. Everything in the Law and the prophets hangs on these two commandments." (Matthew 22.39-40)

And also jnani-yoga (freedom through knowledge):
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32)

Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is within you:
    "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:21)

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" (Corinthians 6:19)

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I wouldn't say that I am an "angry" atheist, because I am naturally fun-loving and like to laugh a lot. However, I am passionate in all things I care about including atheism. Because I try to keep anger out of my life, I don't feel hatred for theistic religion nor its adherents. I actually feel sorry for them, because they know not what they do, and they don't see the light. I am passionate about leading them toward the light.

21. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The folks who canonized the books of the New Testament were not guilty of neglecting to include that which should be there (as the excluded books clearly defy those which were included), but the later Roman Catholics were guilty of adding Catholic extra Biblical texts to that which is considered sacred by them, so that is where false additions were made, and the books which were left out when the New Testament was canonized are obviously contradictory to the themes in the canonized New Testament.

22. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The "light" that our end is supposedly a hole in the ground, what kind of light is that?

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Although I agree with you about the hole in the ground, the "light" I was speaking of was "knowledge."