Thoughts; organic life is gross

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Jun 18, 2009.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I recall some pulpish sci-fi movie I watched as a kid.
    It was about this astronaut that goes to mars or someplace that is inhabited by malignant aliens that produce sexy android women to keep him perpetually in a state of lesser intelligence. The critical point of the movie is where he caresses the head of one his harem attendants and a circuit board pops out.

Needless to say, it spoiled the relationship.

(perhaps other members here might simply argue his standards were too high)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The main problem with our current situation is that we are, largely, unable to directly control our state of being. We are influenced and directed by our human nature and our limited human capability; with technology, we could replace our inferior organic bodies with artificial constructs that could grant us enhanced living as well as altering our mind.

For instance I wonder if it is possible to build a device that stimulates the area responsible for orgasm (in the brain, not the other area) and could enhance it, somehow, to be more powerful AND on-demand (say, you press a button)?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Manimammal Death from the day I was born. Registered Senior Member

is this what modern love should be ? :bugeye:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OMG!!! I loved that movie. My town would NEVER be as understanding.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Computers are imperfect because we design, built, and program them. Just wait until they start building themselves....

9. Manimammal Death from the day I was born. Registered Senior Member

It would be cool to get smashed drunk with a female robot, then without shame be able to bone her silly.
    Cant wait for the future...

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Is there anything more human and organic than wanting to have stronger orgasms? Do you think that, being a machine, you'd even care for that at all?

You'd have to have an inbuilt reward mechanism in your tin brain.
    Maybe you could just download the "orgasm app" and run it, and be done with sex altogether.

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

You can do that to humans, you know?

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

We would still be conscious; thus we would still desire "happiness" and "pleasure". As "machines" however we can artificially recreate and induce these things instead of leaving it to the random nature of the organic body.

It could be whatever you want.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Not all of us.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

"In my opinion anyone interested in improving himself should not rule out becoming pure energy." - Jack Handey

15. Manimammal Death from the day I was born. Registered Senior Member

yeah but, it is the same ordeal with human females. I wana some how impregnate the first robots and some how make them true and as real as a living being ! hehehe

16. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

We would still be conscious, but "desire" and "happiness" are nothing but endorphins. Our organic bodies chemically rewards us for performing certain activities. Without that organic mechanism in place, there is no notion of desire and happiness.

17. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Ehm, this pic looks like a full-fledged robot....I'd rather go for cyborgs a la Ghost in the Shell.
    Transhumanism seems like a way to reach this goal, no?

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

may it be prefection...
    if it rose from the organic imperfection..doesn't that make organic, which gave us unorganic, superior as the source??

i agree with the OP wholeheartedly..

to get the picture.. imagine thrusting your hand arm deep into spaghetti (after adding water to it) and squeezing it with your fingers till it becomes mushy and squichy and it loses it's form, texture and shape..lol, imagine then saying "yummy"..

cuz that's what we do with our mouths..if you play in someone's DNA so his taste buds would be in his hands that how it would be....yup, eating is as gross as that but the taste makes it all go away..

WHY is the taste there? for us to keep on living..if there wasn't a taste to it many people would rather die than do such discussing things..

uh, sex is like that, tenfold, but i guess no need to get into the details..
    with all the ecstasy associated with it..i still feel it's shameful and just not freaking right..but some parts in my brain and body disagree..
    if there was no ecstasy with sex..then i imagine it would be a punishment worse than death for criminals..

"stud-stud, the court has decided to punish the convict with the reproduction of three babies" -gasps from the court-

ooo~f course we should thank evolution for all this..once upon a time all people hated sex and food like they should've..but they all died out except for the ones who enjoyed it..and hence: nATuRal SelEctiON..ta da..

(or maybe that's how they started out all along..they liked it like animals..conscience and mind came later..but how was instinct put originally in the first link?)

back to the machines are superior than organic part..ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?? think of it..find any way for any material to be better than organic..first thing that comes to mind..steel or metal..stronger..doesn't get squished or cut easily..just like children..if i had a metal arm i would be stronger than anyone else..ever put in mind the complexities of designing such qualities:
    1-SELF REPAIR!! imagine a car that fixes any scratch, boken glass, torn seat, internal engine problem..ALL BY IT SELF!!
    2-stabilizing temperature..some machine guns and mortars were water cooled..now they're air cooled..super computers are in a pool of liquid nitrogen..engines have air intakes and such..imagine the magnitude of coolants needed for such systems and compare them to unseen tiny droplets of sweat going through holes in every millimeter square of your skin..and thy evaporate taking the heat with them..do you know that if the body's temprature changed by one or two degrees (i think)..you start to hallucinate?
    how hot or how cold places have you been without hallucinating??
    3-BALANCE..the human body has hundreds of joints..many of which having multiple possibilities of movement..consider all the different possibilities of movment with the joints..endless..don't look at martial arts players or soccer or basketball players or xtreme sports or ballet or any of those..
    just go to a normal person and push him in a direction..i dare you and all the scientists in the world to create somehing even nearly as close to the stabilizing movment with the different complex movements of the various human muscles and joints..
    any mechanical or design engineer would know exactly what i'm talking about..as hundreds of them work years to get a car help the driver dodge an accident when all of them are going in one line of motion and the freaking car is on [FOUR] wheels..with few possible choices of movement directions..it's something like comparing a pencil-only drawing with a full scall fully rendered true-color 3D model on virtual reality glasses..

4- add to it the image proccesing of the eyes

5-the kidnyes..look at the size of the artificial ones..and a person can live with only one..

6- the brain(volumes)..

i can keep going on and on..the list is endless..

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly.. well somewhat. Why does this have to be focused on humanity ?

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

This thread reminds me of this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have a rather unique, I suppose you could call "Science Fiction" view on organics. It takes into consideration the Watchmaker analogy of the universes existence.

One day it will be realised that the universe we exist in, is in fact one of our own creation. This means the things we see and have exist in this universe, only exist because we had the foresight to include them.

Due to Anthropology and History in general, we already have the understanding that we needed to evolve, that civilization needed to evolve, so we don't just have a big bang and a spout of future technology. Instead we have the Evolution model built into the universes inception, we can't start with technological advanced but instead we build self-assembling, self-learning systems from the most basic of materials present early on. In other words life is created. Life then evolves and that evolution eventually moves on to creating refined processes and artificially created systems, which would only exist due to biological state evolving and needing to evolve beyond it's own capacity.

I guess you can say that Biologicals would be the cheapest and easiest to produce, with the capability of healing minor and even major wounds or structure damage. However being biological we are limited in regards to our capabilities of sustaining in hostile environments and are reliant upon the strength of our numbers to make sure we can produce food and keep ourselves safe.

Artificial systems like Robots require refined processes to develop, refined methods to repair damage and vast resource gathering systems to replace damaged components (we aren't quite up to building robots out of nano-grown alloys) There expensive to produce, require more energy and maintenance but are more capable of surviving hostile environments and possible could survive time better too.

If you were to build an army, the cheapest method would be organics because of their healing capacity, and this in the main reason that robots haven't replaced every footsoldier yet along with the costs.

22. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

i disagree with this..one who can dodge harm doesn't need to sustain it..

having a titanium robot who's smart enough to need his shell can be out maneuvered and bested by a biological who can foresee and prevent himself falling in such situation..

of course if you can have superior brains plus titanium shells that would be better..but we're contrasting here..

23. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

This is one of those rare posts here on SF that is almost poetic in its beauty and tragedy - my opinion of course. Kudos EmmZ... :bravo:

@Norsefire - Your OP could have been lifted directly from a conversation I had in my late teens / early twenties with a very intelligent roommate. We came to pretty much the same conclusion as you have.

It seems like some of you aren't quite getting it, or at least not getting the same impression from Norsefire's proposal that I am. It seems to me that he is envisioning a future in which we have nearly unlimited choices. How can this be a bad thing? I have been an avid SciFi reader most of my life, and all of your concerns have potential answers one way or another. The next step on the evolutionary ladder for humans does not necessarily have to be silicon / metal based, that's just one possibility. Imagine a world in which you can engineer your own body in any way that you choose...

If you prefer carbon / water based life - great. But, if you die, you are simply "reincarnated" from the point of your last "backup", like when your computer dies. Presumably, the technological level that Norsefire is contemplating could easily engineer a "clone" of your body, all that remains is to "download" your memories and experiences onto that blank slate - you have lost nothing and gained immortality. On the other hand, if you want to be made of radiation resistant components with a built in propulsion system, you are free to roam the stars to your hearts content. Want to live underwater and play with the dolphins? Fly with the birds? You got it.

If we look at the issue this way, it is hard for me to see a downside. Yes, machines or anything else engineered, biologic or otherwise, can break down and malfunction. But, replacement parts are available, so whatever path you choose, virtual immortality is yours...

This, of course, raises numerous issues in and of itself. What do we do with all that time? What is important to us in this new context? Do we grow lazy and slothful or increase our productivity by a ten / hundred fold? Is interaction with other sentient beings still important? How do we achieve this interaction? If it is nearly instantaneous and continuous, have we become a "hive mind", in essence?

As to sex, if I am interpreting Norsefires vision accurately, it would be possible to have simultaneous sex with one or many beings simultaneously - forget just the "physical" feelings associated with orgasm, that would seem easy to replicate or enhance. But you would also be able to share those experiences with others - 80% of sexual gratification involves this sharing (at least to me). All of this would be within your reach, and more importantly, based on your choice. Where is the downside?

I doubt that it will, but this thread could go on forever simply contemplating all the possibilities, both good and bad - the potential highs and pitfalls...